Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

c# getting system info

Options
  • 15-11-2006 1:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭

Hey,

I want to create a c# project with asp 2.0
    It will be a website to "scan" a computer and show it's spec (OS, CPU, RAM GFX etc). I am looking at a few options and i just wanted some advice.

1) I was considering having the user upload their DXDIAG text file (START --> RUN --> "DXDIAG") and then having the program parse through the text file and extract the relevant info.(more tedious)

2) Using the system.management namespace extracting the relevant info. The problem with this is that if the program is hosted online, will this just return the hosting server's info??

3) final option is to just use ActiveX control with the system.management namespace to show the Client's info.I have never used an activex controls when programming and i have no experience with them

I just wondering can anybody advise me on the best path and if it is active x maybe guiding me in the direction of how best to approach the active x (ie how it actually works)

cheers appreciate it!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

1) That'd work, but it is messy.

2) Exactly right, all the C# runs on the hosting computer, so all code is evaluated on that, so you'll only see the hosting computers specs.

3) ActiveX is horrible, and limits you to Internet Explorer + clones i believe. Definately won't work in Firefox anyway.

EDIT: It might be possible to do it in javascript, but i don't know. I'm not quite sure what the limits of javascript are.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Speedway

ok thanks very much for the reply, anyone else that has any input i would really appreciate it!

Advertisement