Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Indymedia may be sued by Judge

Options
  • 15-11-2006 1:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭

Indymedia may be sued by judge curtain http://www.indymedia.ie/article/79652, due to comments made on a thread.
    Contact Form Submission

Reported Post: Story 79652 with title: The Non-Impeachment of Judge Brian Curtin
    http://www.indymedia.ie/index.php?obj_id=53&story_id=79652&

We act on behalf of Brian Curtin. We find the allegations in this story to be
    unfounded, untrue, and defamatory. Unless the story is removed immediately, we
    intend issuing legal proceedings against named individuals in your organisation,
    the ISP, and hoster of your site.

We look forward to hearing from you.

PW Tracey

Tracey Solicitors 24 Marlborough Street Dublin 1, Ireland. Tel: (01) 874 5656
    Fax: (01) 874 5550 Email: law@traceysolicitors.ie ...
    As such, I think in light of this that the mods should review the threads on this case and make sure that nothing illegal has been said. If they are googling, they will find boards soon
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

RuggieBear wrote:
    ffs
    What? Should we not try to protect ourselves? I don't think its OTT to make sure that, with several threads on the subject, no libel has been committed. I know that boards has never been sued before but......

If I recall correctly, when this was discussed a few months ago, things got a little out of hand.

sorry mate. Not aimed at you... aimed at another bloody solicitor threatening a website

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭Just My View

In Ireland the poor can't speak the truth and the rich don't have to, allegedly.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

As such, I think in light of this that the mods should review the threads on this case and make sure that nothing illegal has been said. If they are googling, they will find boards soon

Good. If they find questionable stuff they have every right to ask for it to be removed. People do this on boards and boards in general complies.

Its standard letter tbh.

Only reason why there it has gone further with a company we can't name is because they asked for an apology as well, which imho they aren't entitled to (maybe from the OP).

• Advertisement

RuggieBear wrote:
    sorry mate. Not aimed at you... aimed at another bloody solicitor threatening a website
    Ah, sorry I thought you thought that I was being pedantic.
    In fairness though, indymedia deserves to be sued. They take, and allow only one viewpoint, whereas boards has numerous viewpoints so most sides are represented.

Ah, sorry I thought you thought that I was being pedantic.
    In fairness though, indymedia deserves to be sued. They take, and allow only one viewpoint, whereas boards has numerous viewpoints so most sides are represented.

Very true.

i wish there was someway to make the contributor (and not the "publisher") liable for what is said.

Wishful thinking:(

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I suspect the offending line in that IndyMedia article is
    The validity of his claim of innocence has never been tested in an open
    court because he was acquitted on a technicality.
    Which seems to make the allegation that he is in fact guilty but is "claiming" innocence, when in fact the opposite is legally true (He is innocent, but others are claiming he is guilty).

As Hobbes says, this is a standard legal letter, and Mr. Curtin has every right to request that such allegations be removed. If such an item is brought to boards.ie's attention it will be reviewed by the admins and removed if necessary.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

What? You mean innocent until proven guilty? What sort of legal system is this that doesn't convict absolutely anyone accused of a crime!? Bloody scandalous! "BUT WE KNOE HE DONE IT". /satire

Indymedia have removed the post.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

RuggieBear wrote:
    ffs
    My sentiments exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Indymedia have removed the post.

Are you sure?

It's still up when I looked.

Sparky-s wrote:
    Are you sure?

It's still up when I looked.
    Not there for me.

Not there for me.
    Still there for me...

seamus wrote:
    Still there for me...
    :confused: Not for me. There's 14 comments, and I went through each of them. How odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Its not there, its been removed. must be caching issue.

Should probably remove this one too.

Hobbes wrote:
    Its not there, its been removed. must be caching issue. .
    Definitely not. If the W3c validator can see it, then it's still there :)

http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.indymedia.ie%2Farticle%2F79652&charset=%28detect+automatically%29&doctype=Inline&ss=1

How many comments are coming up when you read it?

How many comments are coming up when you read it?
    Oh the comment? That's gone. I assumed you were talking about the news article :)

/slaps forehead
    omg. a group of intelligent, mature adults, and its taken us more than twelve hours to get on the same frequency. I'm so embaressed:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Are you the poster formerly known as Firespinner, or is that someone else I'm thinking of?

koneko wrote:
    Are you the poster formerly known as Firespinner, or is that someone else I'm thinking of?
    I am indeed. I have reformed, and am now a productive member of boards.

Advertisement