Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

converting part of image to black and white

• 15-11-2006 2:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys, I know this was covered in the main forum some time ago but I can't find the post and the search seems to be broken.

I have a photo that I want to convert to Black and White but there is a flower in it I want to keep in it's original colour. I can't remember what the post did but here's what I tried.. I blew the photo up with the magnifying glass to 300-400% and used the lasso to highlight the flower. I then created a new layer with this selection. I converted the original layer to black and white. Only problem is there is a white line around the flower and it's quite obvious that it has been converted. Is there a way to merge the flower edge into the black and white picture to make it look less obvious. I tired using the feather tool but I don't know if I was using it correctly but I couldn't get rid of the white around the flower.

any help would be greatly appreciated..

The pic I am working with is here

http://static.flickr.com/111/297956254_9cee4a9ece_b.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 287 ✭✭latchiko

Hi bovril, there are a few ways to do this but the easiest in your case may be to create a new layer and convert it to black and white. Then use the eraser with a soft edge to remove the flower, thus allowing the flower in the layer beneath to show through. Hope this helps.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Building on what latchiko said, instead of using the eraser tool on the new duplicated layer add a layer mask to the duplicate and paint with black and white to control transparency. This allows you to fix mistakes and change your mind without deleting pixels.
    I posted about this earlier... if a little poorly :o (posts 14 and 16)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭bovril

thanks for the replies will try them both out as soon as I can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

No no no. The easiest way is to select the flower as you did already, "invert selection" and desaturate. Ta da! Save the selection before you destaurate so you can go back and add a bit or remove a bit if you need to adjust it.

Thats what I did for the raven/rook picture on the forum a while back.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Zillah wrote:
    No no no. The easiest way is to select the flower as you did already, "invert selection" and desaturate. Ta da! Save the selection before you destaurate so you can go back and add a bit or remove a bit if you need to adjust it.

Thats what I did for the raven/rook picture on the forum a while back.

That is certainly the quickest way but a layer mask allows you to correct your desaturation in real time by simply painting it on or off without the need to go back. So you can easily add less than 100% selection with a soft gray brush to get a blurred edge or just go for the sharp edge with a hard black brush.

Another option is to desaturate and click the little box beside the history state before that action in the actions pallet and grab the history brush to do your painting...

• Advertisement
Advertisement