Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fighting dog!

Options
  • 15-11-2006 2:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Hi guys
    I have recently bought my 1st greyhound, a good black dog very well bred. he qualified in 29.40, we all had great expectations.but on his first night out he fought, does anyone know of any possible cures for this or is he doomed to do it for ever?! i hate to see such a great dog wasted, he really does have the gears. any help appreciated!

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

well, It could be a one off, theres very little that can be done tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

well, It could be a one off, theres very little that can be done tbh.

That doesn't sound right to be honest...Maybe you could contact an obedience trainer or something like that. I'd imagine there are some options for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Evolution136

There's a few things that can be done to try and get rid of the problem. I presume the dog in question is young so he's not doomed yet. My first preference is to give him a hand slip trial behind another dog i.e, let him off out of your hands 2 or 3 lengths between a dog he'll outpace and see if he goes by and chases the hare without problems. If he starts fighting again trial him over hurdles. The dog will start concentrating on the objects and will hopefully stop fighting then. Let us know how you get on and best of luck!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 cisco

I agree with everything evolution says but first get the dog fully checked over by a vet. it wont cost much and it will eliminate injury. we have had quite a few dogs have a bite at the dog beside them and a few were carrying an injury and lashing out. it makes the dog frustrated and angry. good luck let us know whats happens

www.jodyskennels.blogspot.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 redsox

Thanks to all of you for your advice! It's very hard to know what to do. My dad is a Vet so we've checked the whole soundness aspect, and he's grand. I suppose it's just in his blood. Going to leave him for a while, thinking of entering him in a trial stake. then maybe give him one last shot at the track. will let you know how it goes! fingers crossed!

• Advertisement
Advertisement