Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland are playing tonight - containing a lot of scores, hopefully

• 15-11-2006 2:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭

No thread yet, we normally have one at least two days before a game.

Is this indicative of the general apathy towards the national team, or something else?

Anyway, Ireland play tiny San Marino tonight in the last Soccer game at Lansdowne Road, and it is a MUST win.

We should do it, so let's go with a prediction shall we.

I think we won't score more than three, so I'll go for a 3-1 win for Ireland.

Incidentally, the ref is from the Faroes, will there be a little bit of 'small nation' bias I wonder?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Which small nation?

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

seansouth wrote:
    No thread yet, we normally have one at least two days before a game.

Is this indicative of the general apathy towards the national team, or something else?
    I was going to open a thread when the team was announced yesterday but they were already chatting about it in the San Marino "difficult to break down" thread. :)

4-0 Ireland. Andy Reid to get 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

I'm going for a very un-entertaining 2-0 win for Ireland.

It couldn't turn into another Cyprus incident, could it?? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

I think a new thread is a good idea, a lot of talk about Stan's attitude to the media in the other thread.

Lets focus on the team and how we think they'll do.

I predict 2-0 to Ireland (the fact that I even considered needing to say who would score the 2 is evident of the state we're in at the minute)

I think the lads in green will be nervy at the start and with some luck they'll get the breakthrough before half time. If we're looking at the second half at 0-0 I think we could be in a predicament. I'll be in the stand with my fingers crossed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Ireland to go at them from the start and to come out comfortable 4-0 winners. I'm expecting the team to begin with a three pronged attack and Doyle to have a good game and get off the mark for his country. I can see an early goal if we get at them.

I think the weather will suit us as it will increase the potential for mistakes and slips at the back, as well as nice slide rules through. On the flip side of that, I forgot my mac :( Hopefully I can buy one down there.

With Given back in goal I definitely can't see them scoring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

i'm going with a 3-0 to ireland with neither striker scoring a goal

Kojak wrote:
    I'm going for a very un-entertaining 2-0 win for Ireland.

It couldn't turn into another Cyprus incident, could it?? :confused:
    Cyprus are on a different level to San Marino. Seriously, I don't think the San Marino league is any stronger than the top Sunday league in this country. Plus we're at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Gileadi

I'll throw my prediction into the ring, 3-0 with Doyle,Duff (deflection),Carsley on the score sheet

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

sprinkles wrote:
    I think a new thread is a good idea, a lot of talk about Stan's attitude to the media in the other thread.

Lets focus on the team and how we think they'll do.

I predict 2-0 to Ireland (the fact that I even considered needing to say who would score the 2 is evident of the state we're in at the minute)

I think the lads in green will be nervy at the start and with some luck they'll get the breakthrough before half time. If we're looking at the second half at 0-0 I think we could be in a predicament. I'll be in the stand with my fingers crossed

FFS its SAN MARINO. On the radio a sports commentator was saying how some of the SM team were outside their team hotel smoking their heads off!:D Only ONE 'professional' in the side and he plays for a team in Serie C! Anything less then 10 - 0 against these part timers (who where trashed 13 - 0 by a reatively goal shy German team) simply aint good enough. I will take the 3 points though.:)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

I cant see Ireland going all out tonight, to silence the baying crowd. I just dont think that the team that they have is good enough to produce a top performance. Though it IS ireland and they have always followed heart more than skill. I'll go with an incredibly unlikely 3-0 or 4-0 win to the Irish.

This time though I am not putting money on it.
    Though the odds for just an irish win is 1-50.
    A draw of any type is 11-1
    And a San Marino win of any type is at 66 to 1
    Ireland:
    to win 1-0 is 9 to 1
    2-0 is 5 to 1
    2-1 is 28 to 1
    3-0 is at 9 to 2
    And 3-1 is at 25 to 1

• Advertisement

I would like to remind you all of an astonishing fact. There will be more ppl at Lansdowne rd tonight then live in the whole of San Marino. How they can even field a team is amazing in itself!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,165 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Got tickets for this one. Would like to see some goals please Stan, is that too much to ask?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

San Marino Euro Competitive stats;

Comp. Pld W D L GF GA
    EURO 36 0 0 36 4 163

If we fail to win tonight every player out there should be shot.

Im going for a 5-0 victory - after careful consideration into just how bad San Marino actually are.

A 5-0 would be nothing less than an average day at the office for Ireland. And anything less i think should be deemed as a failure. A 2-0 victory is simply not good enough against such lowly opposition.

My fear is we get nervous, attack attack attack and go in at halftime with no goals and then nervewrackingly scrape a 1-0 in the dying minutes with like 40 shots on goal.

San Marino Euro Competitive stats;

Comp. Pld W D L GF GA
    EURO 36 0 0 36 4 163

If we fail to win tonight every player out there should be shot.

Im going for a 5-0 victory - after careful consideration into just how bad San Marino actually are.

A 5-0 would be nothing less than an average day at the office for Ireland. And anything less i think should be deemed as a failure. A 2-0 victory is simply not good enough against such lowly opposition.

My fear is we get nervous, attack attack attack and go in at halftime with no goals and then nervewrackingly scrape a 1-0 in the dying minutes with like 40 shots on goal.

At least we have Kevin Doyle who seems like a good asset up front. Robbie Keane is......well.........Robbie Keane.........his goal scoring potential changes with the weather. Im very confident we can leave Lansdowne with a record score tonight for Ireland - 7 or 8 goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I'm gonna go with a 5-0 or 6-0 with a Robbie Keane hat-trick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

4-0 Ireland, two goals in the first half and two in the second. They better bloody win, I'm at home to watch this. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Welcome home Ruu.

We won on Sunday btw :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

5-0 with Robbie to find his form again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

5-0

Doyle hattirck + Keano peno + a jammy Kilbane goal :)

Is Reid definitely playing centre? Would've thought it'd be ....

Reid - Carsley - Kilbane - Duff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

San Marino 1 - Ireland 0

Stan / Robbie Keane - Out

And get rid of the plastic paddies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

eirebhoy wrote:
    Cyprus are on a different level to San Marino. Seriously, I don't think the San Marino league is any stronger than the top Sunday league in this country. Plus we're at home.

All I am saying is that before the campaign started Ireland would have considered Cyprus and San Marino very beatable - now its very difficult to know what to expect, anyhting could happen.

Still I expect Ireland to win, however we have never been able to knock 5 or 6 goals past the minnows (even in the good old days of the early to mid 1990's) and given the stauts of our qualification hopes a 2-0 victory a lot more likely than a hammering for the minnows, IMO.

SofaKing wrote:

Most of the media reckon it's a diamond formation.

Reid
    Kilbane
    Duffer
    Carsley

zabbo wrote:
    San Marino 1 - Ireland 0

Stan / Robbie Keane - Out

And get rid of the plastic paddies
    Paddy Power are offering 150-1 on that result. Might be worth a punt if you're that sure of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

The rain coming down nice and steady now. Thatll have a big say in the game. Ill go for a repeat performance similiar to that of the Faroes game at home 2 years ago...2-0...maybe a third. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭The1337_Stephen

SofaKing wrote:
    5-0

Doyle hattirck + Keano peno + a jammy Kilbane goal :)

Saw this on the FAI site:

Ireland are certain to control a majority of possession against San Marino which highlights the selection of Charlton Athletic’s Andy Reid in Ireland’s midfield.

It remains to be seen exactly what role Reid will play in Staunton’s tactical plan.

It has been suggested in some quarters that he is likely to occupy a place wide on the right or left wing with Damien Duff on the opposite flank and with Lee Carsley and Kevin Kilbane in the central roles.

Well thats what they think, so i dunno

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

A bullet-dodging 3-0

Eh anyone else concerned about the amount of rain falling? I hope Lansdowne rd is playable!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,076 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Id much refer to see Kilbane wide and Reid at the point of the Midfield, like he's been doing for Charlton. Hate Kilbane as a central midfielder, i know he'd be grand against san marino, but we should be this the same way as if we were playing a decent team. Kilbane just gets lost and passed around against decent teams in midfield. His positional sense in the middle is terrible and he just runs around randomly. Fair ****s with his effort and everything but he's just not good enough there. Though personally i wouldn't have him in the starting 11 anywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Lovely weather for a trek on the cramm packed dart into Landesdowne road!:eek: :o

Lets pray for the people on the south stand:eek:

• Advertisement

~Rebel~ wrote:
    Though personally i wouldn't have him in the starting 11 anywhere.
    Interesting that so many International and Premiership Managers would disagree with you, but sure what would they know!

darkman2 wrote:
    Eh anyone else concerned about the amount of rain falling? I hope Lansdowne rd is playable!

We're Irish, bad weathers our middle name, i'd say we'e played in worse conditions then this before

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

5-0 san marino.

What is our record score? Also, have we ever played a competitive against a team as bad as this? They're definitely the worst team in Europe so obviously not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Ireland 3-0

Doyle to get 2 and Keane to get 1

I read this week that Ledley King said to Robbie Keane that Doyle was one of the toughest opponents he's ever faced which is a good sign.

Right, I'm off out to this lovely weather.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

eirebhoy wrote:
    What is our record score? Also, have we ever played a competitive against a team as bad as this? They're definitely the worst team in Europe so obviously not.

8-0 against Malta in 1983 at Lansdowne in a Euro qualifier is our record. Apparentely we were going to put the Faroes to the sword at Lansdowne 2 years ago....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,076 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

BaZmO* wrote:
    Interesting that so many International and Premiership Managers would disagree with you, but sure what would they know!

Jeez its just my opinion, you sounded fierce offended there! obviously these people have reasons for selecting him.

Personally though, I think if we're going to play players around the 30mark when we're supposed to be building for the future, then they'd better be vital players, like carsley and Finnan. Wasn't that the reason Carsley was dropped sure, that Stan wanted to build, yet Kilbane, who id imagine everyone would agree is an inferior Midfielder to Carsley has always been starting there. it doesnt make sense.

If we had more injuries and needed cover then fair enough. I think he should be in the squad, but seeing as he's just 30 and isn't anything particularly special, and since Ireland are apparently building for the next world cup, should we not start using some of the younger players who are probably in or about the same level and who we'll be relying upon in a year or two?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Staunton’s tactical plan.

Do they believe in Leprechauns too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,908 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

The optimist in me says 6-0 to us but the realist is plugging for a 2-0 if we're lucky. The realist tends to be right when it comes to Ireland so I'm going with it.

I'd settle for three points and a Doyle goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly

my prediction 10-0 to ourselves

sure i might aswell give a little bit of enthusiasm

• Advertisement

Ah here we go, screw it

COME ON IRELAND!

Cyprus already one up??!!!

Finnan not in his best position, RB ? O_o

I Thought it said germany 1 up, yeah it was Ballack scored

Cyprus already one up??!!!
    Sorry misheard the commentary.

Cyprus 0-1
    Germany L
    Ballack 16

1-0 Ireland, Go on Reid, skulled a a defender in the head on the way through

1-0, Reid :)

EDIT: In fairness, great cushioned header by the defender.

Reid baby!!!!
    1-0 Irish free kick.
    Dodgy....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

SofaKing wrote:
    1-0, Reid :)

EDIT: In fairness, great cushioned header by the defender.

Was it not going a good bit wide? If so then its an og. I only got to see it once quickly while i was flicking between this and the england game. Rooney scored there, so they are 1 up aswell.

Germany game is 1-1.:eek: it's ht.

Incidentally, in the conference north, stalybridge and farsley celtic is 0-0.

Nah, it was curling into the far post, woulda been in anyway imo

• Advertisement
Advertisement