Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland are playing tonight - containing a lot of scores, hopefully

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Ywah, after watching the replay, looks like it was going wide so I reckon it's an o.g.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Is Andy Reid the most unfit professional footballer ever....??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

is there anywhere to watch this online? im ragin that im in work and cant see it! prob only chance ill have of seein ireland scoring a few goals! :(

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

They seem to have lost all bite since the goal. I mean surely its a matter of time until the 2nd but the irish passing is lazy and they seem to be greedy with possession, losing a lot of ball on the wings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Pacifico wrote:
    Is Andy Reid the most unfit professional footballer ever....??
    Yes, because unfit fat players play first team premiership football and get picked for thenational team.

If you're going to post stupid pointless crap, find somewhere else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭The1337_Stephen

2-0 Kevin Doyle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Whats with SM on corners? They come into a match knowing they are going ot lose, it's just a matter of how many. Yet when they get near Irelands goal and get a corner, they have 3 players in the box. Surley sticking 7 or 8 in the box and hoping for a goal is better than 3 and guarenteeing you wont score.

Doyle 2-0.

psi wrote:
    Yes, because unfit fat players play first team premiership football and get picked for thenational team.

Jan Molby? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,908 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

What a header!!!!

• Advertisement

2-0!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Great header. More of that please!
    A lot of the passing has been poor from us so far!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

go on Kevin Doyle :)

Good goal.

Thats what we need more of - sweeping the ball out wide to stretch out their defence. Tis pointless trying to dribble through 6 defenders in the centre.

Ohhh, nearly a 3rd from kilbane, their starting to pick up some slack

Finally the crowd seem interested in the game. And they are starting to use their possession a little bit more. Finnan is making some nice shapes.

phuaargh. Close with that header.

• Advertisement

3-0 Keane GO ON!

3-0. Robbie
    Delighted for him

Keano!!! Keano!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Quality stuff :)

Live Text here for the other group game. Draw would be perfect :)

• Advertisement

Take O'Shea off and we'll be up 5 or 6, if he cant put an easy shot on target why bother try

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

3-0 up bit still dont think we are playing that well. The passing needs to be better. This team are rubbish and there are loads more goals in this.

Terrific header from Doyle for the second and glad Keane finally got another goal. That should give him the confidence to get some more now.

Need to up the pace and tempo in the second half. Move the ball quicker and get the passing going and can easily score another 3 or 4 goals.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

I get the impression there is just too much build up play from Ireland. More aggression please, were playing a pub team. BTW nobody should be happy with a 3 - 0 from this game.

P.S Doyles header was class and a neat, controlled finish from Keane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

is nobody watching the same match as me??

ireland are shocking.. they can hardly get 5 passes together!!

O'Shea and Duff are not playing well. Kilbane is playing great stuff IMO.

What a crappy keeper they have, practically threw it to Doyles head

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

SofaKing wrote:
    Live Text here for the other group game. Draw would be perfect :)

not really, we need germany to run away with this group

Was falling asleep here, then wham, great touches and a good bit of play

PENALTY!

Trabopaline!!!

Lol first time in 5 years ireland have scored 4

• Advertisement

"All that cheering was because of a streaker that didn't even streak." :eek:

Yay, Duff the second just came on >.<

FT in Cyprus, 1-1.

:)

Germany 1 - 1 cyprus Full time.
    Actually I think Cyprus were at home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭joebhoy1916

VinnyL wrote:
    not really, we need germany to run away with this group

No draw is better which it was.

6 points behind Czechs and Germany after this game.

We'll need to turn them both over at home and hope that they don't draw to have a chance of 2nd - and thats assuming we beat wales, slovakia and cyprus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭joebhoy1916

Yeah but isnt our next game is against same team but we will have 7 points.

Hat Trick Robbie Keane

That makes the score line more respectable.
    But the performance so far is pisspoor.
    I genuinely think this match has done us no good at all.

• Advertisement

It has been a poor performance - O'Shea especially has done himself no favours whatsoever here.

The sad thing is, I think this result may gloss over the severe problems the ireland team have.

The way San Marino were playing 5-0 is a good result for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

But what do you and George Hamilton want the team to do?? Physically murder some of the san marino players?

There's not much you can do against these teams except beat them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,908 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

fade2black wrote:
    But what do you and George Hamilton want the team to do?? Physically murder some of the san marino players?

Well you can at least get the basics right. O'Shea was awful. Couldn't pass or cross the ball all game. Kilbane's touch in the second half was laughable. The result is acceptable but the performance of some players is not.

Also...is Dunphy drunk?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Knowing his previous it would be a fair bet.

Sounds and looks like it alright

• Advertisement

fade2black wrote:

Thats true, you can only beat the opposition put in front of you, but you should always do it playing your best game.

Ireland should have a set way of playing, they should focus on playing that way and they should focus on playing it well.

What we've seen today has been a haphazard display with poor passing, awful positional sense and an unwillingness to communicate or look around.

Had Ireland been more clinical and done the simple things right, that could easily have been 10-nil, because don't doubt for a second, that San Marino team have nothing more than you saw tonight.

Instead you have players making simple errors that you'd chastise schoolboy teams for making. Thats not good enough and it is simply down to poor management and bad player attitude (not all players were like this - I thought a few players had a good game - but not the team as a whole).

Incidently, I'm not in Ireland so I don't have access to RTE and have no idea what George is saying. My views are my own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

~Rebel~ wrote:
    Jeez its just my opinion, you sounded fierce offended there! obviously these people have reasons for selecting him.
    No not at all, I just think it's too easy for armchair pundits to take swipes at players like Kilbane who, when you look at it, has been playing at such a high level for most of his career, so he must be doing something right. And as I've said before, plenty of managers would testify to that.

~Rebel~ wrote:
    Personally though, I think if we're going to play players around the 30mark when we're supposed to be building for the future, then they'd better be vital players, like carsley and Finnan. Wasn't that the reason Carsley was dropped sure, that Stan wanted to build, yet Kilbane, who id imagine everyone would agree is an inferior Midfielder to Carsley has always been starting there. it doesnt make sense.

If we had more injuries and needed cover then fair enough. I think he should be in the squad, but seeing as he's just 30 and isn't anything particularly special, and since Ireland are apparently building for the next world cup, should we not start using some of the younger players who are probably in or about the same level and who we'll be relying upon in a year or two?
    Fo me, you should always play your best players, and whether you, me, or anybody else for that matter likes it or not we haven't hadf anybody that's been much better than Kilbane for quite some time. And as for Carsley, he's only back because we have such a week midfield now, which proves the point thatyou should play your best (and proven) players.

As for the result, meh! 5 against a group of part timers ain't that great but we were never th type of team that puts many away against the opposition regardless of their quality and it's always difficult to play against the 1-9-1 formation.

BaZmO* wrote:
    I'm gonna go with a 5-0 or 6-0 with a Robbie Keane hat-trick.
    Glad I :D put that 50 quid on it now!!!

Apologies PSI, we replied at the same time...I was referring to the chap who posted before you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

We have a chance in this group now with that result in Cyprus. The top teams will take points of each other.

The difficulty for us of course is taking each game as it comes and getting the correct result. I think tbh Ireland ALWAYS perform better against better opposition.

Of course we do, we take easy teams for granted and don't play it simple and Intact

• Advertisement
Advertisement