Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

upgrading hard drive on softmodded xbox

Options
  • 15-11-2006 2:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭

hi guys, want to upgrade my stock hd to a larger drive. Been doing a bit of research as to how to go about this on a softmodded box so firstly just give a quick rundown to see if I've got the jist of it right.

1. get copy of xboxhdm 1.9.
    2. ftp E:\backup_linux\eeprom.bin from xbox into xboxhdm\linux\eeprom on pc.
    3. ftp full contents of C: & E: into xboxhdm\linux on pc.
    4. run make-iso-win and burn iso to disk.
    5. Connect new ide hd as primary ide and boot pc from burnt cd.
    6. Choose "Build a new Xbox HD from scratch".
    7. Lock newly formatted hard drive by typing "lockhd -a".
    8. Connect new drive to xbox.

So firstly and most importantly I'm wondering what drive to buy. From what I've read it has to be lockable so I was hoping for some recommendations on good drives out there.

The size I'd be looking for is 250GB plus. This brings up my second question. I've also read that the bios needs to be flashed to be able to use drives over a certain size. Does this mean there is a limit on what size drive I can install with a softmod?

I've seen it mentioned on xbox-scene threads that you can use xboxpartitioner (think that's the name) to create additional partitions for larger drives. Would this be applicable if using a softmod?

Another question, this time on the instructions I listed above to replace the hd. Point 7 instructs locking the drive. It doesn't mention anything that I can see about specifying a drive. Does this mean you should disconnect all your regular drives before attempting this?

Cheers

Advertisement