Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Router which to get

Options
  • 15-11-2006 2:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭

Okay, I recently posted a thread about problems with a belkin router I have. Having done some googling and research it seems these are about the crappest and most problematic routers around, so i'm going to get a new one.

I have a toshiba laptop with built in wireless and a wireless adapter for my desktop. I have a standard eircom residential broadband line whose netopia router has been flawless since I've had it.

All I want is to have a stable connection and access to the likes of msn, komplett and importantly poker sites which the belkin router just won't allow me to. I don't need very high download speeds or anything just a reliable router that won't fail to go to certain websites for no apparent reason!

I've read the stickies but not being very tech minded I was hoping for a response here.

So just go for the standard netopia wireless router that many eircom users have or netgear etc?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭stanley1

I am using a SMC 4 port firewall router from Komplett, no probs in 3 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Pc World are selling a wireless enabled eircom branded netopia modem for 24.99.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Unfortunately the performance of wireless equipment can be notoriously unpredictable - for instance see www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk for lots of reviews where people swear by and complain about exactly the same models.

However the netgear range seem to be going through a good patch at the moment and they seem particularly good on iffy lines - an all in one (thats one with a built in modem) does not cost too much more than a router on its own and can be much easier to set up - have a look at the netgear DG 834g which is a pretty popular model.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Netgear-DG834G-54Mbps-Wireless-Firewall/dp/B0000TZ8Z8/sr=8-1/qid=1163609643/ref=sr_1_1/203-8935121-6312709?ie=UTF8&s=electronics

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

:o i need one with a modem too? I just assumed they all had built in modems, anyway i'll check out the PC world one , like i said once it doesn't block certain/random sites i'm not too bothered.

Thanks for the help

Advertisement