Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

De la hoya wont be quitting

• 15-11-2006 3:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭

Oscar de la Hoya has no intention of quitting the ring after his record-breaking showdown with Floyd Mayweather.

The Golden Boy, who will pocket $13million for the May 5 clash with the pound-for-pound king, has changed his plans to quit the ring.

While Mayweather last week said he would be hanging up the gloves after his next fight, de la Hoya insists he will carry on, past his 43rd professional fight.

"It is not going to be my final fight," he told ESPN.com. "Call me crazy, but I changed my mind.

"I took this fight because I want to take on the best."

The Mayweather match up is expected to break all pay-per-view records in America and become the biggest-grossing event in the history of the sport.

Pretty Boy Floyd is in line for a career-best purse of £5.3million and the fight itself looks set to blow away the pay-per-view record of 1.99million buys set in 1997 when Mike Tyson fought Evander Holyfield in 1997.

It is also expected to surpass the $58million grossed by Lennox Lewis' world title defence against Tyson five years later.

Mayweather and de la Hoya will meet at light-middleweight, with the Golden Boy's WBC belt on the line.

It will be his 30th world title fight - he has won six titles from super-feather to middleweight - but if the Pretty Boy should maintain his perfect record and go 38-0, he will have five titles at different weights himself.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MBC

I think De La Hoya retiring will all depend on how well he does againist Mayweather.

IMO I can't see De La Hoya upsetting the pretty boy and expect the pretty boy to win handy enough on points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

I think this will be Oscar's last fight regardless of what he tells the media. He will be 34 when it comes to fight time and he has probably made more money then any other fighter overall plus his has achieved all of his goals I would say, so what is the point of him continuing? Plus his Golden Boy Promotions is going very well so I think he will hang up his gloves and concentrate on that.

I regards to the fight with Mayweather, I think Floyd is too slick and fast for Oscar and it should be a comfortable points win for him. Oscar seems to come undone against quick fights, he got out worked twice by Shane Mosley and he won a highly debatable decision against the very slick Pernell Whitaker when he was in his prime. I would really like to see de la Hoya win this fight, and go out of the boxing side of the sport on a high, but I cannot see it happening.

Advertisement