Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Unusual roundabout situation - help please

Options
  • 15-11-2006 4:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭

A roundabout I use almost every day is causing me some confusion and I'd like to get a few opinions on here about the correct way to negotiate it. It's the Artane roundabout on the Malahide Road in Dublin.

In short, the road from which I approach the roundabout is single lane, then splits into two lanes just before the roundabout. The thing is the left lane has a 'left only' arrow painted on it, and the right lane a 'right only' arrow... whereas I'm going straight through!

Now normally I just go in the left lane, enter the roundabout, pass the first junction, indicate left, and exit. However, a lot of people (not all) choose to use the right lane to go straight through and then cut in front of me as they're exiting. I've had a number of near misses there.

Moreover, people approaching the roundabout from my left (two lane, fast moving carriage-way) seem to think because I'm entering the roundabout in the left lane I'm going to take the first exit (despite no indicator), and pull out in front of me. Again, there have been a few near misses.

So, what's the correct thing to do here? I think I'm right according to the Rules of the Road but sometimes it seems like doing the wrong thing would be safer. Frustratingly, the left lane does appear to have had a 'left & straight' arrow at one time, but the straight bit has been blacked out!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭mal1

In the absence of a straight arrow (in my opinion) you are correct. You are sticking to the basic rules of the road and should therefore be in the right if one of those near misses isn’t a miss in the future. Of course there are always the ‘right hand lane junkies’ who will always say there are exceptions to that rule but those exceptions usually are regarding heavy traffic conditions when the left hand lane is stationary or moving very slowly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

They used to have something similiar in Cavan on the way from cavan at the by pass roundabout, you had to follow the arrows which where lined out differnet than any other roundabout, like if going straight on you had to go into the right hand lane and could only stay in left hand lane if turning left

They have now changed it which has caused more confusion for the people that have used it from day one and are used to it!!:p

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

If you stick to the inside/right lane then you will show others that you are definitely not turning off at the first exit and so therefore can turn at any subsequent exit and they should prepare for this. Just be weary of anybody using the outside lane and exiting at the same point as you. You are still within the rules of the road etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

as per the ROTR in the sticky (page 3)

Diagram 2: Travelling straight ahead. Stay in the left hand lane, but do not indicate “left” until you have passed the first exit/the exit before the one you intend to take. Where conditions permit, usually on larger roundabouts, you may follow the course shown by the broken line.
    untitled.JPG

so you are doing it correctly
    the problem most irish road users havent a notion how to use a roundabout...

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gaillimhabu

You should send a complaint to the county council about there being no straight arrow in either lane. Sticking to the left lane is the right thing to do allright

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Stay in the left lane. Artaine Roundabout is a nightmare so be prepared for all sorts of stoopid drivers around you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Car Mad

ya i was always told left lane for left and straight ahead.they modified the one in waterford tho coming out from superquin direction in this case its left lane is left and right lane is straight ahead and right.very confusing for lots of people who dont know the area :) county councils eh who needs em.if i were you id stay in the left lane

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Car Mad wrote:
    ya i was always told left lane for left and straight ahead.they modified the one in waterford tho coming out from superquin direction in this case its left lane is left and right lane is straight ahead and right.very confusing for lots of people who dont know the area :) county councils eh who needs em.if i were you id stay in the left lane
    On the contrary. Confusing for people who don't know how to read road markings, maybe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Anyone get taken by surprise on the N22 (I think) when entering Tralee from the south? The left hand lane approaching the first roundabout is for left turn only and the next one (a mini roundabout jobbie) is the same

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭J_R

Hi,

to try and cater for all the different permutations and combinations possible, the new rules of the road will give a slightly different explanation on how to negotiate the roundabouts (Shamelessly copied from the UK Highway Code, including the diagram)

The 2nd Exit is no longer mentioned, instead

When taking any intermediate exit:-

# do not signal on approach to the roundabout,
    # select the appropriate lane on approach to and on the roundabout, signalling as necessary,
    # stay in this lane until you need to alter course to exit the roundabout,
    # signal your intention and move accordingly after you have passed the exit before the one you want,
    # check for traffic on your left,
    # leave the roundabout.

When taking any intermediate exit

Therefore, lane markings should guide Too bad if the county councils fall down on the job.

Ridiculous not having a "Straight Ahead" arrow.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Car Mad

Alun wrote:
    On the contrary. Confusing for people who don't know how to read road markings, maybe.

hey i didnt say i was confused coz i can read the big sign that says junction ahead alterd and directions on it:D just some people cant read and drive at the same time:eek:

Advertisement