Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HTC Tytn experience

• 15-11-2006 5:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭

Hi All,
    I got this phone a while ago having used a Blackberry 7100V for over a year. Before that, I had a Sony Ericsson P800. I was happiest with the P800 and was never too enamoured with the Blackberry.
    I guess I had forgotten about my love for a real keypad but although the Tytn seems like a great pda, it just doesn't seem to be doing it for me as a phone. Not having real buttons on the front just throws me.
    I was after a Sony Ericsson P990i for a long time. It is so elusive and now that it is available sim free finally, I have read that it is terribly unreliable. Too many issues to count. One of the forums I was reading had people returning 990's for the Tytn and raving about it.
    I don't know where to go from here. I will use the Tytn for another week or so but it really isn't a phone I don't think. It is a pda with phone functionality or that is how I find it has to be used. Maybe I should sit down and read the manual, set the phone up as best possible and try it again before I toss it.
    Anyone got similar experiences or using one of these at the moment?
    The good:
    Wifi, Bluetooth, camera and video. Expansion slot up to 2Gb. Keyboard for short emails and texting.
    The bad:
    No keypad on the front. Battery life. Pulling up contacts without pulling out the keyboard is slow (i have about 500 contacts). Size.
    I'm sure there is a perfect phone out there for me. Maybe a new firmware on the 990 will sort it. I really liked the 800 until I dropped it in a pool of water. The only minus it had really was the keypad as it was buttons that pushed the touch screen. That isn't the way with newer models. There is also the likes of the N61 or less high tech, the SE K800i for example.
    Any observations or feedback appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭Spipov

i had the htc wizard. i really liked it to tell you the truth. about the keypad issue, i havent had a problem because i put on a screen protector and then used my thumbs/fingers to dial. same thing for sms'es. contacts was ok as well, if ur fingers arent too bad, use the left button, go into contacts and click the name it starts with.if its for example a y, press the wxyz 3 times and itll get you to y...

its just a getting used to thing...dont despair, htcs are good pda/phones

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭iwb

Thanks for the encouragement. I will try to get into it for a week or so more. The last thing I want to do is buy another phone and miss this one. That would drive me crazy.:) :mad:

i thought you did ok with the xda 2...remember getting one from you... its about the same thing, but in a cuter package and much smaller and lighter and improved operating system. ive sampled windows mobile 5,and frankly,im not going back to win2003se!

Ah yes, I knew your username was familiar. That belonged to a friend of mine. I did stick my sim card in it for a few days but found the same although I didn't try it for very long.
    I have to say, I have been trying to use the buttons on the screen (without a screen protector) for the past few hours and it is hit and miss. I find I have to dial very slowly. Does the screen protector make it any better, or just protect the screen?
    I will try setting up voice dialling but I can't see myself doing it for 500 contacts.

there are a few programs out there that dont need voice training. basically you say the name and they find it and dial. im not sure which, i have to find that out for you.

if you have the screen protector, u have less chance of slipping. and if ur nail is a tad long (not long, just protruding a bit), itll help more...

i used my thumb, but using the index finger while holding the phone with the other hand is the best way

• Advertisement

Name: Microsoft Voice Command
    Version: 1.5
    Description:

Voice Command transforms your Pocket PC into your own virtual personal assistant, letting you use your voice to look up contacts and place phone calls, get calendar information, play and control your music, and get key device status and information. Voice Command makes it easier and more convenient than ever to take your digital lifestyle with you wherever you go. The state-of-the-art speech technology means you will never have to pre-record important phone numbers or use difficult commands to access the information you need. Simply select one of the many commands that is most natural to you and let Voice Command do the rest.

Note: Dialing rules and language designed for the United States

Voice Command Benefits

* Speaker independent
    * No voice training required
    * Conversational style that asks you questions if more information is needed
    * Use a single command to quickly get what you want or be guided if you prefer
    * Say "What can I say" or "Help" at any time

Product Features

* Voice-Controlled Hands-Free Phone:
    o View contacts with a single voice command.
    o Place phone calls by name with a Phone Edition. ("Call Jeff Smith")
    o Place phone calls by number with a Phone Edition ("Dial 425 555 0137")
    o Callback and Redial the last caller with a Phone Edition.
    o Incoming calls are announced by name or number.
    o Missed calls are announced by name or number with a single command.
    * Voice-Controlled Calendar Lookup:
    o View your calendar with a single voice command.
    o Have the subject, time, and location of upcoming appointments read to you.
    o Appointment reminders will read the details of your appointment aloud so you do not have to look at your screen to find out what is coming up.
    * Voice-Controlled Media Player:
    o Use your voice to select the music you want from your collection by album, artist, or genre.
    o Choose to control your music with your voice or use the large button interface just like radio buttons on your car stereo. (portrait display size 320x240)
    o If you are listening to new or unfamiliar music you can ask "What song is this?" and the name of the song and artist will be read to you.
    * Voice-Controlled Utilities:
    o Start any program in the Start menu or programs folder, such as Inbox, Calculator or Solitaire.
    o Check signal strength, battery level, time, and day by voice.
    o Low battery level alert by voice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 blackdogbytes

I'd say the HTC S620 could be a nice alternative:
    http://www.expansys.ie/p.aspx?i=140829

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Flying

Spipov wrote:
    Name: Microsoft Voice Command
    Version: 1.5
    Description:

Voice Command transforms your Pocket PC into your own virtual personal assistant, letting you use your voice to look up contacts and place phone calls, get calendar information, play and control your music, and get key device status and information. Voice Command makes it easier and more convenient than ever to take your digital lifestyle with you wherever you go. The state-of-the-art speech technology means you will never have to pre-record important phone numbers or use difficult commands to access the information you need. Simply select one of the many commands that is most natural to you and let Voice Command do the rest.

Note: Dialing rules and language designed for the United States

Voice Command Benefits

* Speaker independent
    * No voice training required
    * Conversational style that asks you questions if more information is needed
    * Use a single command to quickly get what you want or be guided if you prefer
    * Say "What can I say" or "Help" at any time

Product Features

* Voice-Controlled Hands-Free Phone:
    o View contacts with a single voice command.
    o Place phone calls by name with a Phone Edition. ("Call Jeff Smith")
    o Place phone calls by number with a Phone Edition ("Dial 425 555 0137")
    o Callback and Redial the last caller with a Phone Edition.
    o Incoming calls are announced by name or number.
    o Missed calls are announced by name or number with a single command.
    * Voice-Controlled Calendar Lookup:
    o View your calendar with a single voice command.
    o Have the subject, time, and location of upcoming appointments read to you.
    o Appointment reminders will read the details of your appointment aloud so you do not have to look at your screen to find out what is coming up.
    * Voice-Controlled Media Player:
    o Use your voice to select the music you want from your collection by album, artist, or genre.
    o Choose to control your music with your voice or use the large button interface just like radio buttons on your car stereo. (portrait display size 320x240)
    o If you are listening to new or unfamiliar music you can ask "What song is this?" and the name of the song and artist will be read to you.
    * Voice-Controlled Utilities:
    o Start any program in the Start menu or programs folder, such as Inbox, Calculator or Solitaire.
    o Check signal strength, battery level, time, and day by voice.
    o Low battery level alert by voice.

Voice Command 1.6 is even better using it with the HTC Wizard and has become a well needed tool

yes, the 1.6. wasnt out when i posted up there. its now out and i have it on.

apart from the fact it refuses to open windows media player (says something about reinstalling file), its deadly :)

i mean, it even gets it when i say a french word (ie any name - and many names in my list sound weird!)

I got 1.6 and it works just like 1.5 did. That is to say, my bluetooth headset won't trigger it to do anything. Maybe all bluetooth sets aren't the same? I will have to investigate further as it is only half a solution without bluetooth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

iwb wrote:
    I got 1.6 and it works just like 1.5 did. That is to say, my bluetooth headset won't trigger it to do anything. Maybe all bluetooth sets aren't the same? I will have to investigate further as it is only half a solution without bluetooth.

I remember reading about this somewhere and I am damned if I can remember where it was! There is some registry hack needed, but it's not a big deal to get working.

AFAIR, it was on a Microsoft site/forum.

I read on one of the xda forums that audio doesn't work but the button on bluetooth does trigger the handheld, but mine doesn't trigger either.
    I did download a registry hack but wasn't brave enough to apply it yet. I will probably try it once I am sure I have backed up first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

iwb wrote:
    I read on one of the xda forums that audio doesn't work but the button on bluetooth does trigger the handheld, but mine doesn't trigger either.

I discovered, purely by accident, that if you double-tap the button on the bluetooth headset, it will dial the last number dialled. It's better than nothing.

I'm using an O2 Exec Atom with a Plantronics M300 headset

Edit: Found that link here. Third hit on Google :-)

Advertisement