Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are U2 taking the p***????

Options
  • 15-11-2006 7:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭

Hey all, Ive seen posters for U2s '18 singles' album. I honestly dont see the point in this compilation. Granted, tracks such as 'Vertigo' and 'Sometimes you cant make it on your own' are on it BUT the rest of the tracks have been featured on their previous 2 best ofs. I must admit that I like U2 and wouldnt be a Bono basher but surely this latest release is ludicrous.

What do you think?

Thanks. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

YOU'VE probably heard this one before.

U2's latest album will be launched amidst the usual fanfare at midnight tomorrow, but fans hoping for fresh sounds or a hint of experimentation would be best advised to stay under the duvet.

There is a grand total of one new song from Bono and the boys, there's one re-hash of a punk oldie with Green Day and 15 apparently shameless re-hashes of their own oldies, and not-so-oldies such as 'Vertigo' from the band's previous album.

And the bonus track? It is only 'I Will Follow', which you might have bought on the Boy album. Or perhaps on their first Best Of collection a few years back. Or maybe you're not actually a U2 fan.

Compilations

"It's that time of the year," Steve Cummins of music magazine 'NME' Ireland said yesterday.

"If you look at new Irish bands, they are told not to release anything in November or December as it all just gets lost amid all these compilations and best-ofs.

"The latest U2 singles collection is a re-hash and these things should actually be less relevant than before, because you can make your own U2 compilation and include the songs you want from the likes of iTunes, for your own best-of compilation. But they're stocking fillers, bought by people for U2 fans rather than by U2 fans who'd have the songs before."

Oasis, Girls Aloud, Moby, ABBA and Aerosmith are among countless other artists currently cashing in by re-hashing old material with the odd new feature, but as ever, nobody does it better than Bono and the boys.

It's hard to imagine any U2 fan who hasn't picked up or been given 'Pride', 'With Or Without You', 'Where the Streets Have No Name' or 'Sweetest Thing' at this stage, given that they have been released on the original albums and then re-released on one of the two Best-Of albums a couple of years back.

But not according to Shaun Pritchard, who is opening up the HMV Grafton Street at midnight tomorrow night to cater for people looking for the U218 Singles album.

"By opening at midnight, we are giving fans an opportunity to be the first to get their hands on this album and the opportunity to get their hands on some exclusive merchandise," he said.

"This album is set to be a must for all enthusiasts' music collections."

No fear that the boys will be in situ of course, although they will be able to hear the 'keer-ching' of the cash registers from Down Under.

The new track is called 'Window In the Skies', while U2 cover 'The Skids,' and also 'The Saints are Coming' track with American rockers Green Day. You get a DVD featuring "single promo videos" too, which sounds as bad as it is.

"The Manic Street Preachers have brought out a compilation and it's fantastic because it is three-discs, dvds, and 20 new songs," Mr Cummins added.

"This latest U2 release is probably catering for the non-fan, the person who doesn't buy a lot of music."

Jason O'Brien

Ch-ching.

Some more much needed funds for Bono and the boys.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Ch-ching.

yes those poor bastards

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭tunes81

U2 must be the kings of publicity, this new album comes out just as the newspapers and news channels are full of ur wan and her hat.

they always have headline stories when albums come out, at least this is a change from the songs going missing or being stolen!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Another to add to the ever growing list of reasons to hate u2. That a4 pad's getting quite full now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

I never really got U2 but seeing as how they're still mega selling superstars this late in their careers I think it would be mad for them not to try and make a few more millions by doing practically nothing.

The cd market seems to be slowly dying and Christmas only comes once a year so what better time to tag a new song onto another greatest hits album? I don't think credibility is much of an issue.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

surely this latest release is ludicrous.
    In the words of Noddy Holder : "It's Christmas!!!!"

• Registered Users Posts: 18,602 ✭✭✭✭kippy

The quoted article has some good points.
    Mostly about who will be buying the album and for what reason.
    I dunno, If I were in the position U2 are in I would have no problem doing something like this.
    People will buy it, why not release what people will buy?

kippy wrote:
    The quoted article has some good points.
    Mostly about who will be buying the album and for what reason.
    I dunno, If I were in the position U2 are in I would have no problem doing something like this.
    People will buy it, why not release what people will buy?

Because if you preach about debt and world poverty, and then show the blatant cash-grabbing attitude that U2 show, people will start to think of you as a hypocrite.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,602 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Because if you preach about debt and world poverty, and then show the blatant cash-grabbing attitude that U2 show, people will start to think of you as a hypocrite.
    U2 arent the only band that do this.
    What do you expect the band to do? Donate all profits from all their work to charity.

In fairness if you dont agree with the album or U2 in general no one is forcing you to buy the album.

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    I think it's ok to remain money savvy while trying to use fame for a good cause. I can't stand them but I don't see what they're doing as being hypocritical.

• Advertisement

Well I see the fact that Bono is preaching for a higher percentage of our (Irish) taxes to be donated to overseas aid, whilst himself and U2 move their tax base to Holland to avoid paying tax as hypocritical. I might be coming across a bit OTT on this one, but releasing another greatest hits and going to court over some meaningless pieces of clothes really just intensify my dislike for Bono and his chums.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭\m/_(>_<)_\m/

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Ch-ching.

funds that will be pumped into the offshore company so as to avoid Irish tax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭J.R.HARTLEY

to be fair a lot of people seem angry that U2 got through 20 years + without a best of cd and then you get 3 in 5 years
    But what do you get (assuming you get the Special Edition at 18Euro or so):
    18 cd1
    1. Beautiful Day
    2. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
    3. Pride (In The Name Of Love)
    4. With Or Without You
    5. Vertigo
    6. New Year’s Day
    7. Mysterious Ways
    8. Stuck In A Moment You Can’t Get Out Of
    9. Where The Streets Have No Name
    10. Sweetest Thing
    11. Sunday Bloody Sunday
    12. One
    13. Desire
    14. Walk On
    15. Elevation
    16. Sometimes You Can’t Make It On Your Own
    17. The Saints Are Coming
    18. Window In The Skies
    cd 2
    1. Vertigo
    2. I Will Follow
    3. Elevation
    4. Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
    5. All I Want Is You
    6. City of Blinding Lights
    7. Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
    8. Miss Sarajevo
    9. Original of the Species
    10. With or Without You

the only tracks not on the previous 2 best of are:
    cd1
    5. Vertigo
    14. Walk On
    15. Elevation
    16. Sometimes You Can’t Make It On Your Own
    17. The Saints Are Coming
    18. Window In The Skies
    cd 2
    1. Vertigo
    3. Elevation
    6. City of Blinding Lights
    7. Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
    9. Original of the Species
    11 tracks 8 different songs so for anyone who has the two previous cd's it's down to how much you like the newer songs, for anyone who doesn't have the previous 2 it's a good way to fill the gap and keep up to date.
    all in all it's no surprise as it's been 5 years+ since the last one but i think people are annoyed becase they would rather wait a few more years and get a new, best of 2000-2010

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭wow sierra

I wasn't aware that it was compulsary to buy this!!!! Those of us who have been U.2. fans from the start obviously have all this stuff so obviously we won't be buying this. U.2 are getting new fans every day and maybe some of those might buy this - or people who like them but not enough to own every single cd. Compilations are handy for the car too - but mainly my point is ITS NOT COMPULSARY TO BUY IT.

wow sierra wrote:
    I wasn't aware that it was compulsary to buy this!!!! Those of us who have been U.2. fans from the start obviously have all this stuff so obviously we won't be buying this. U.2 are getting new fans every day and maybe some of those might buy this - or people who like them but not enough to own every single cd. Compilations are handy for the car too - but mainly my point is ITS NOT COMPULSARY TO BUY IT.
    actually if you're a die hard U2 fan and/or a completest like myself then it pretty much is compulsory to buy it for the new track alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

"This album is set to be a must for all enthusiasts' music collections."

Quote of the year :p

"This latest U2 release is probably catering for the non-fan, the person who doesn't buy a lot of music."

No, wait, that's quote of the year :D

They're releasing this CD for the people who don't like them and don't buy CDs, is that not clear and logical? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭v10

Well I dunno, I guess if fails to sell then you are all right ... but I won't put money on that happening.
    Then again if it does sell then there was obviously a demand for it ...

I personally purchased it today solely for the 10 Track Live from Milan DVD thats included in the Special Edition which is excellent I might add.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

so how many people turned up at 12?

so how many people turned up at 12?
    I've no idea. Try Google.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

another missed opportunity for U2 to include their two best singles.

11 O'Clock Tick Tock
    and
    A Celebration

Glad I bought those on 7" when I got the chance - seeing as the band have disowned them.

• Advertisement

v10 wrote:
    ..I personally purchased it today solely for the 10 Track Live from Milan DVD thats included in the Special Edition which is excellent I might add.

Check out 'Miss Sarajevo' from the Live in Milan DVD ..

Advertisement