Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Duty on engagement ring?

Options
  • 15-11-2006 7:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭

Hi, mods feel free to move if this is not suitable place for this.

The thing is my sister in the US has an engagement ring that has been in the family for years. It is the type of ring my girlfriend would go for. So the family decided I should give it to my girlfriend here. My sister said she would fedex it over putting full value now of €3500 on parcel and insuring it.

Now my question is would I have to still pay customs/duty on this ring when it reaches Ireland even though it was originally bought in Dublin over 50 years ago.(so VAT already paid?) (the receipt has been lost many a year ago so no proof that it was purchased here)

Thank you for any advice that you may have.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Technically yes, if you have no receipt. Even if it's a present, duty is still liable.
    But the chances of being stung for duty aren't too high.

Or you could bring your gf to the US to propose :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

Check with customs & excise if there is a way to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭darkskol

Going to make a phone call to customs and excise on monday. Thanks for the advice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

darkskol wrote:
    Hi, mods feel free to move if this is not suitable place for this.

The thing is my sister in the US has an engagement ring that has been in the family for years. It is the type of ring my girlfriend would go for. So the family decided I should give it to my girlfriend here. My sister said she would fedex it over putting full value now of €3500 on parcel and insuring it.

Now my question is would I have to still pay customs/duty on this ring when it reaches Ireland even though it was originally bought in Dublin over 50 years ago.(so VAT already paid?) (the receipt has been lost many a year ago so no proof that it was purchased here)

Thank you for any advice that you may have.

You shouldn't have to pay. I used to work doing this a few years ago and I/we let many people not pay for this type of reason.
    You will need proof of ownership etc etc. Get customs to look at it to prove its over 50 years old aswell. This can be done.

Advertisement