Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

underfloor heating or radiators?

Options
  • 15-11-2006 7:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭

am currently planning a 2600sq ft house in kilkenny and don't know whether to go with underfloor heating or radiators. have decided that upstairs will definetely be rads but have heard various reports about the advantages/disadvantages. how controllable is underfloor? although the runnng costs are lower the installation is very high compared to rads and if there's a problem the whole floor goota come up. any opinions?
    cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

Firstly decide what heating medium you are going for.

If oil, I would steer clear of UFH, I believe it would be very expensive to run.

If pellets... no advice as no experience of them

If using geothermal then definately go UFH, both upstairs and downstairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Builderwoman!

We have wood pellet boiler with a combination of underfloor in hard floor surface areas..kitchens, ensuites, bathrooms, utility, front and back hall etc. Rads in all beds, living areas and landing as we have solid timber flooring and uf does not work well with timber. Underfloor is more expensive but very cosy. It's also not the same stiffling heat you get from rads, cookers, stoves etc. Nice and gentle. Tiles don't feel warm but are warm.

I was thinking the same re problems but they use qualplex and if your installer knows what he is doing there shouldn't be problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 cblad

Check out www.Kyron.ie they can give impartial advice at low cost on all Renewable energy options

Advertisement