Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband and fax machines

Options
  • 15-11-2006 7:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭

I have broadband received via wireless technology and the laptop is connected to the RJ lead which goes to the small "dish". This is therefore fixed in one room.

I wish to connect my fax machine to broadband as i do not want to run up a bill on my landline when i could send and receive faxes via the broadband system.

However, i do not have a router. As it happens the room in which the fixed broadband connection resides is at the opposite end of the house. I have 3 questions:

which router is best

can i use another router or routers to expand the coverage all round the house and garden

how can i connect my fax machine to broadband and send and receive faxes

Any tips / help appreciated

regards

HPMan

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

You usually can't connect a fax machine to a broadband connection - fax is an analog "audio" transmission system, and doesn't work on many VoIP systems.

You might want to look at using a "fax-to-email" service, like the one that Blueface . You send the document that you want to fax as an e-mail, and it is faxrd to the recipient showing your Blueface phonenumber as the "from" number. Any incoming faxes are e-mailed to you as a PDF document.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭HPMan

thanks 4 that. i rather send it direct though, as if there is a problem, it can be sorted without hasling a 3rd party

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

HPMan wrote:
    thanks 4 that. i rather send it direct though, as if there is a problem, it can be sorted without hasling a 3rd party
    No problem, pay eircom 25 quid a month for a phone line, and use it to send the faxes.

It's your money.

Well you could switch to a voip provider like blueface who for a fee will give you a separate fax number and do a fax to email and back service for a year-I think it's €39 for the 12 months and for that you get a dedicated landline number and whenever you get faxed on it,they send it to you direct to your email as a pdf document that you can print up.

I find it dead handy.

Advertisement