Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Fiat Punto ... dead?

Options
  • 15-11-2006 7:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭

here's the prob.. 2002 Punto, no problems at all... about 10 mins ago driving down the road there and then out of nowhere there's an engine rattle and then a burning smell... then it just died!

not even ticking over now... Timing Belt?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

just what you get for buying a Fiat :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

drdre wrote:

Where does he look in the car for that helpfull solution?

Stekelly wrote:
    Where does he look in the car for that helpfull solution?

well the only solution now is to get it towed to a Fiat garage or call a mechanic.

drdre wrote:

I eagerly await you posting a similar thread and getting an equally uninformed response.

ronoc wrote:
    I eagerly await you posting a similar thread and getting an equally uninformed response.
    its happened to me 1000000000 times on this site.Lets not get off the point, and try and help stevo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Lucifer

explain what is happening now? does the engine turn over when you turn the key? does it sound normal? afaik the older punto engines dont bend valves if the timing belt breaks but i'm not sure what engine is in yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Hotwheels

Did you try pulling out the T-belt cover and have a look, if you see teeth its the belt..

Usually a failed water pump is the cause, the main baring collapses and you might hear a high pitched screech before engine dies… what mileage was on it? And when was the belt last changed…

If it’s the T-Belt, you’d be better off looking for a new engine from dismantlers, as the labor cost on fixing a head, valves etc won’t be worth it…

Get a mech to have a look and see whats the damage

Not a nice thing to happen, hope it works out for you....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭johncm

by the sound of it its a t belt gone. will cost you around 8/900 euro in a main dealer for everything ie new belt +tensioner plugs w pump head set oil change and head washed and skimmed.

if your getting anyone to do it make sure they get a new t belt and tensioner as some garages dont change tensioners to save money.

ps with the punto i dont think it damages the valves

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

ye it's not mine anyway but it did start again, managed to get it down the road before it cut again... this time there was no ticking or a burning smell though...

also... what does this symbol mean... it likes to flash sometimes!
    dsc01572uw7.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

Well, then at least its not the timing belt. The symbol refers to the engine management system.

so what the hell does it mean when it's flashing then? just time for a serive or something?

It's from a different car though... yet another punto! anyone I know with one has had problems

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 djgregg

Ok so its not your t-belt thats good news. when you get it driving is it pulling away as normal? could be your clutch if there is no power and this would explain the smell, also puntos give trouble with head gaskets so it could be this(my first choice) when the puntos over heat they run quiet bad and have a safe gaurd by cutting out and not starting again for some time . This would explain your engine light coming on too, is there a temp gauge on your model if so check it out when the car is running. Ok to check your head gasket 1. dip your oil look on the stick for signs of water ie oil will be either beading from the dip stick or the oil will look cream colour, 2. look in the oil filler hole on top of the engine is the oil creamy (white) not black 3. check where you put the water and coolant for you radiator is it black or creamy ? it should be like water maybe blue in colour. if you have any of these its your head gasket, not too expensive but dont drive or leave engine running too long your looking at roughly 400-500 euro .

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭bee_dix

sounds like same thing but when it happened to me it was the system management try take the cable outa the box if you know where it is... im a woman and having a punto thought me so much about cars always something going bust bad bad car to. buy..

take it out so the light goes off and pretend it never happened.... lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭johncm

it could be the tdc sensor. if its not starting like that id go with either that or one of the ignition coil . the tdc sensor is about 60 while the ciol is about 90

• Registered Users Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭Esel

drdre wrote:

Maybe a driving license from another EU state would sort the problem?

@mods - sorry, couldn't resist.

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement