Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Junior Certificate 2006 Appeals results

• 15-11-2006 8:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭

I Got my junior certificate higher level irish rechecked and I am so thrilled that I got an upgrade from a B to an A. I knew myself that if I did get a B it was a high B ie(83-84%) but this really puts the icing on the cake. I only found out on monday when my irish teacher said I suppose you were really happy with the good news and I was like what good news? only to be told that the results were released on friday last but I was at work experience!

So now I got 7As ( IRISH[deserved], French, Maths, Geography, Business Studies, Science [1989 sylabus], C.S.P.E) AND 2Bs( English and Home Economics) all higher level. Well done to everyone who got their papers upgraded!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

JSK 252 wrote:
    I Got my junior certificate higher level irish rechecked and I am so thrilled that I got an upgrade from a B to an A. I knew myself that if I did get a B it was a high B ie(83-84%) but this really puts the icing on the cake. I only found out on monday when my irish teacher said I suppose you were really happy with the good news and I was like what good news? only to be told that the results were released on friday last but I was at work experience!

So now I got 7As ( IRISH[deserved], French, Maths, Geography, Business Studies, Science [1989 sylabus], C.S.P.E) AND 2Bs( English and Home Economics) all higher level. Well done to everyone who got their papers upgraded!

I didn't know that you could get your exam's rechecked at JC level, always thought that it was at LC level only. Well done though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

has anyone got them rechecked and lost marks?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

has anyone got them rechecked and lost marks?

A teacher told us that it happened some fella in the LC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

One of my friends got her Science rechecked and went up from a C to an A which is pretty sweet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

Jesus that tells a lot about the corrector who corrected the paper. C to A!!!!!!!!!!!!! OK thats rediculous. So many people got upgrades in my school. 2 people got Irish upgraded to A(1 being me) and another person got 3 subjects upgraded to As.

This tells a lot about the standard of correcting. Not to serious note at Jc level but at Leaving certificate level. The easy mistake of a mathematical error could be influential in a person becoming a doctor or a dentist. I do know that when peoples exams are upgraded, the teachers who corrected the exam first day are monitered more closely in next years examination when they correct the papers.

Another guy got his cspe upgraded from a E to C because they forgot to correct the project or the project wasnt submitted with the exam paper.

And we got our picture taken for the newspaper!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

I never understood the point in getting your JC rechecked, I got a B in Irish and knew I deserved an A, but I had 5 As already and the JC means nothing apart from bragging rights(if you're into that kinda thing). Rechecking CSPE is funny since I totally took the piss out of the exam(in fairness it's a load of bollocks) and left about an hour early and still came out with a B.

I know this girl who got 10 As and a B in English and got her English paper rechecked, upgrading her to an A. WHY???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

I'd have liked to have gotten my Irish checked on the offchance that it actually WAS A-worthy. If it was A worthy, it'd be saving me so much indecision regarding Irish for LC, really...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭oRlyYaRly

You were hardly considering dropping to pass because you got a B, were you? :eek:

.... perhaps. ¬.¬
    But nah, seriously, more in a "should I count Irish for points getting purposes?" way.

JC 2K3 wrote:
    I never understood the point in getting your JC rechecked, I got a B in Irish and knew I deserved an A, but I had 5 As already and the JC means nothing apart from bragging rights(if you're into that kinda thing). Rechecking CSPE is funny since I totally took the piss out of the exam(in fairness it's a load of bollocks) and left about an hour early and still came out with a B.

I know this girl who got 10 As and a B in English and got her English paper rechecked, upgrading her to an A. WHY???

because if your looking for a part time job in ty,5th or 6th yr,the better the marks,the more impressive your cv will look

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Acid_Violet

because if your looking for a part time job in ty,5th or 6th yr,the better the marks,the more impressive your cv will look

11 A's doesn't mean you're more qualified to serve food, stack shelves or put clothes on clothes-hangers than some-one who got none.

JC 2K3 wrote:

Because she knew she deserved better than a B from all her hard work and obvious ability? English is a really difficult subject to get an A in, mainly becase of the time but particularly because of the examiner's opinion on your essay and if he/she agrees with the points you're making, imho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭ANarcho-Munk

11 A's doesn't mean you're more qualified to serve food, stack shelves or put clothes on clothes-hangers than some-one who got none.

Yes, like a person with 11 A's has a much less chance of getting recognition from an employer.
    You're right in saying that there might be more practicaly people out there ore suitable for the job but it's really all about the C.V

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Actually, I'll dare speculate. An impressive CV may actually put off a potential employer from hiring you. The majority of jobs that 16-18 year olds do are, lets face it, jobs that don't require that A in English, Maths, Irish etc. An employer may see you as being too good for the job if you appear to be relying on your results to land you the job. What's much, much more important is how you express your interests and information relevant to the job that you are applying for.

That's certainly not to say that you won't find your results to be of benefit to you. I'm merely trying to say that you shouldn't be relying on them to land you a job. By securing good results for your Junior Cert, you are ensuring that you are laying an excellent foundation for your Leaving Cert.

One piece of advice that I will share is that you should not let those A's get to your head. That's what I did - I thought that because I was able to get A's in the Junior Cert without studying that I would be in the position to do the same for the LC. With only 8 months before the exams, I'm finally starting to realise that it's not possible to do that and now I have to work extremely hard to get the course that I want.

Performing well in my JC was my undoing. Don't let it be yours!

Actually, I'll dare speculate. An impressive CV may actually put off a potential employer from hiring you. The majority of jobs that 16-18 year olds do are, lets face it, jobs that don't require that A in English, Maths, Irish etc. An employer may see you as being too good for the job if you appear to be relying on your results to land you the job. What's much, much more important is how you express your interests and information relevant to the job that you are applying for.

That's certainly not to say that you won't find your results to be of benefit to you. I'm merely trying to say that you shouldn't be relying on them to land you a job. By securing good results for your Junior Cert, you are ensuring that you are laying an excellent foundation for your Leaving Cert.

One piece of advice that I will share is that you should not let those A's get to your head. That's what I did - I thought that because I was able to get A's in the Junior Cert without studying that I would be in the position to do the same for the LC. With only 8 months before the exams, I'm finally starting to realise that it's not possible to do that and now I have to work extremely hard to get the course that I want.

Performing well in my JC was my undoing. Don't let it be yours!

Anyone who says that they didnt study to get As in the junior cert are talking a load of b*******. Im sorry but it had to be said.

Who puts their Junior Cert results on their CV?(unless you drop out of school before the leaving)

well some subjects are easy to get A'S................
    CSPE-your an idiot if you dont get an A or a high B
    Irish-Ord level is so easy that a 7 year old could pass it, and i hear higher level aint much harder
    English-quite easy if you know what ur doing........but does addimily require plently of pratising q's
    Maths-pass-easy A,honours A or B if you work hard
    Science-you start with 10 precent[experiements written],so if you just learn most of the theroe you will get an A
    Home ECO-more than half the marks are for practical stuff so its easy for an A

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

Who puts their Junior Cert results on their CV?(unless you drop out of school before the leaving)
    Well if you wanna get a job during the summer or whatever you could put 'em down.

JSK 252 wrote:
    Anyone who says that they didnt study to get As in the junior cert are talking a load of b*******. Im sorry but it had to be said.

English and Maths are easy to get As in without study if you're fairly good at them.

Irish if you went to the gaelscoil can be an easy A.

C.S.P.E of course.

Art, Metalwork, Woodwork obviously.

With the new Science course, you only need to get something like 75% in the paper to get an A if you've done your experiments and a decent project and a B is easy to get without study in the majority of subjects.

You sound like the type of person that thinks "Oh, se got higher marks than me, she spends her life studying" and can't accept the fact that she might just be brighter than you.

With the new Science course, you only need to get something like 75% in the paper to get an A if you've done your experiments and a decent project

WTF!?!
    when did these projects come in?!?

With the new Science course, you only need to get something like 75% in the paper to get an A if you've done your experiments and a decent project

WTF!?!
    when did these projects come in?!?

2006. It's worth 10%. You're given three statements, one relating to biology, chemistry and physics and you investigate 2 of them.

Last year for example we got something like this for biology:

"A gardener suggests that marrowfat peas germinate faster if previously soaked."

So you'd experiment with soaked and non-soaked peas and see which germinates quicker. Then you fill it out in a booklet similiar to the CSPE action project bucklet.

There is another type of project you can do AFAIK but that's what we did.

You'll probably be doing this around April so don't worry if you haven't heard anything about it!

• Advertisement

To be fair, every subject will be a different difficulty level for everyone. For some people, studying may be necessary to get As, for some it may not.

Though, I think studying isn't really the be all and end all of it... like, if you don't work for second and third year at all, like, never doing homework etc., you're inevitably gonna find it harder to do well even if you are naturally academic.
    And it could be the case that someone who got a million As in their JC didn't actually study, but just worked consistently up til the JC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Irish-Ord level is so easy that a 7 year old could pass it, and i hear higher level aint much harder
    Thats bull****

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭JBoyle4eva

Last year, I got my OL irish rechecked, originally getting a C and i knew i didn't do that bad. It was upgraded to a B, butI still felt like i deserved the A.

ok........asked meine science teacher both these projects today.......he confirmed them..........there 15 percent and we will be doing them between christmas and the pres[5th feb]

added to my written experiements thats 25 percent already.............
    and im **** at science secept pyhshics..........FOR THE FIRST TIME IM RELISITLY LOOKIGN AT A B!YES!

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭cheerio

JSK 252 wrote:

I don't agree at all. The vast majority of Junior Cert subjects are extremely easy. No effort is required in CSPE or religion, English is fine (once you're any way able to string a sentence together), and geography is just a joke. Maths, Irish and history do require some work, but not much. I worked in first year, but did nothing whatsoever in second or third until about a month before the exams and I got 7 As. I agree with whoever said that that can be a really bad thing because, going into fifth year I thought I wouldn't have to do any work, and so I did nothing for the whole year either. I got an A in maths in the Junior Cert, but failed almost every test I had last year. Now I'm in sixth and I really regret not working last year because I know I'm not going to get the points for my first choice which is around 520.

cheerio wrote:
    I don't agree at all. The vast majority of Junior Cert subjects are extremely easy. No effort is required in CSPE or religion, English is fine (once you're any way able to string a sentence together), and geography is just a joke. Maths, Irish and history do require some work, but not much. I worked in first year, but did nothing whatsoever in second or third until about a month before the exams and I got 7 As. I agree with whoever said that that can be a really bad thing because, going into fifth year I thought I wouldn't have to do any work, and so I did nothing for the whole year either. I got an A in maths in the Junior Cert, but failed almost every test I had last year. Now I'm in sixth and I really regret not working last year because I know I'm not going to get the points for my first choice which is around 520.[/QUOTE/]

Were all your As higher level?

cheerio wrote:
    I don't agree at all. The vast majority of Junior Cert subjects are extremely easy. No effort is required in CSPE or religion, English is fine (once you're any way able to string a sentence together), and geography is just a joke. Maths, Irish and history do require some work, but not much. I worked in first year, but did nothing whatsoever in second or third until about a month before the exams and I got 7 As. I agree with whoever said that that can be a really bad thing because, going into fifth year I thought I wouldn't have to do any work, and so I did nothing for the whole year either. I got an A in maths in the Junior Cert, but failed almost every test I had last year. Now I'm in sixth and I really regret not working last year because I know I'm not going to get the points for my first choice which is around 520.

English can be winged to pass, but you definitely need to know your stuff to get an A, you need to know poems a novel and a play, that's no mean feat! And of course people have different strengths, I worked very hard at maths to get my A, and I know people who didn't do a tap of study and got As, it all depends on the person!

smeh ive not studied all year till these past 2 weeks ...........ive pratised most of the exam papers........[2006]...............and have done some other years in class
    my predictions:
    English[Higher]-B
    Irish[ord]-A
    Maths[high]-C
    History-B
    Geography-A
    C.S.P.E.-B[we STILL aint started our action project so will properly do myslef ]
    Bussiness-A
    Science-C
    Home Eco-C

now,i think with a little studying i can get history up to A,and with good project,Science to B, and if i GREATLY improve my cooking,home eco to b

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

A girl in my music class got hers rechecked cos they lost her exam..they based her score on the average of teh class (B), but she's still pissed off bout it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

Why would anyone get their JUNIOR CERT results rechecked? My God...

Wait til you get to your leaving, yis will probably get them checked 5 times before you're happy.

I'd be livid if they lost my paper. Though I suppose if you'd done horribly it could be a good thing. : p

And, Killaqueen!!!, did you bother to actually read any of the thread before you replied to it? The topic was discussed.

he just roars in..............

one thing about the junior this year
    english better be easily marked again this year but i cant imagine it as SO many people got a's last year...........
    i see maths maybe been marked easier?it was a source of much contrasoruy last time round........

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭cheerio

JSK 252 wrote:
    cheerio wrote:
    I don't agree at all. The vast majority of Junior Cert subjects are extremely easy. No effort is required in CSPE or religion, English is fine (once you're any way able to string a sentence together), and geography is just a joke. Maths, Irish and history do require some work, but not much. I worked in first year, but did nothing whatsoever in second or third until about a month before the exams and I got 7 As. I agree with whoever said that that can be a really bad thing because, going into fifth year I thought I wouldn't have to do any work, and so I did nothing for the whole year either. I got an A in maths in the Junior Cert, but failed almost every test I had last year. Now I'm in sixth and I really regret not working last year because I know I'm not going to get the points for my first choice which is around 520.[/QUOTE/]

Were all your As higher level?

Yeah they were, I really don't understand how I did that well because I wouldn't be all that much more intelligent than the next person. I did revise well in the few weeks coming up to the exams, and that may be what did it for me. I'm one of those people who works best under pressure. I got a D in Business in the mocks, and I was determined to do much better and I managed to get an A in the JC. It just goes to show that it's never too late to do well. So if anyone thinks that they haven't put in the work for the past few years, it's not too late to catch up if you put your mind to it.

I'd definitely advise putting extra effort into the subjects you plan to keep on for the leaving, because what you do in third year is really what your LC course will be based on, and background knowledge is very helpful.

As for getting your results rechecked, I don't really see the point unless you feel very strongly that you should have done better in a particular subject. Although English is very subjective and what one teacher thinks is terrible, another might think is fantastic.

well my leavign subjects will properly be:
    irish
    maths
    eng
    phshics
    accounting
    french
    business

migth replace business with bio though...........

General consensus in my class (5th year) is that business is easier than biology. Tis probably just down to your teacher though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

I'd reckon so too, on the Business front.. I do it and as long as you know your theory for the LC you'd do grand in it.

although I do prefer LC Religion to it :) even though it is harder than Business!

Accounting is easier than business to get an A1 in. Thats what my business studies teacher for the junior certificate told me and he is the guy who wrote the less stress more sucess business studies book.

I was going to do accounting but opted for geography instead.

Geography's actually grand enough at the minute as well, but the physical stuff is all so boring.

i wanna do i.t. for the leaving but my school dont do it.........would i be able to do outside of schoo?

i wanna do i.t. for the leaving but my school dont do it.........would i be able to do outside of schoo?

There is no Leaving Cert I.T subject.

• Advertisement

according to wikipedia there is........but hey,its wikipedia

Try checking examinations.ie : )

I've looked into that before, it's a bit of a shame that they don't actually have an I.T exam, but hey I'm sure you have other strengths rather than I.T

also Wikipedia mentions Technology which doesn't involve I.T at all, its more in relation to making motorised machines etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

JSK 252 wrote:
    Yes you can. I managed an A in English, Business (both HL) and CSPE with nothing more than previous night study crammed in.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,277 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Yes you can. I managed an A in English, Business (both HL) and CSPE with nothing more than previous night study crammed in.

Well good for you - let's hope you never have a child with a learning disability that makes such an achievement an impossibility.

spurious wrote:
    Well good for you - let's hope you never have a child with a learning disability that makes such an achievement an impossibility.

Well said.:)

twas agreat burn.............for me,the hardest subject is history............i just find everything apart from the roman stuff REALLY BORING
    so i have to study alot for it..........but thats all i study

I found History a doddle compared to Science or Maths. still doing it in 5th year gave up all sciences

I loved history but found it hard to write long essays in the time I had. So apprently I'll find LC history a bitch but I'll try and have my writing speed faster by 6th year.

yeah it is very essay based and sometimes its hard to keep focus on the topic in the question.

• Advertisement
Advertisement