Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clear Power & Other sources for Wood Pellets

Options
  • 15-11-2006 9:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭

Hi

Anyone purchased or ordered bulk wood pellets from Clearpower.ie Blessington? With Balcas offering exisiting customers no better promise than a six week turn around and with us running out of pellets I am exploring other options. Phoned the crowd in Ashbourne and they are almost 250euros more for 3 tonnes than Balcas! Going to phone Clearpower in the am and see what they have to say. Would be interested in finding out more about quality of their pellets, price etc.

Also see CJ Sheerin in Co. Laois supply bulk bagged..anyone used them?
    Our wpb installer told us to be careful of getting good quality pellets.

Hope to hear some feedback.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭djmc

phoned clearpower yesterday they said they can only supply min 15 tonne at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Builderwoman!

Thanks djmc. Who in the name of God would have storage for 15 tonnes?! We're in trouble so. Running out of pellets and no sign of Balcas!

Phoned Clearpower and as posted by djmc they only supply commercial quantities. Very helpful lady on reception said that demand will also dictate if they go into domestic market...so please everybody using pellets give them a call and tell them how difficult it is to get domestic deliveries in bulk these days and it will help them make a decision if they think that there is a market Also phoned CJ Sheerin Sawmills in Mountrath and lady there said same thing about demand for domestic deliveries..phone them too to encourage them please! However CJ Sheerin and Galtee Fuels depot not far from Athy have bagged pellets so thanks to Balcas non delivery it looks like we will have to buy bagged pellets from either of them. I think though that the more people that call these other suppliers them more we will encourage them to take the initiative and go into bulk supply for domestic market. They won't know we are out there looking for pellets if we don't tell them lads!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

I am not really into the old Bio-Fuels scene but I think you can buy sacks of wood Pellets similarly to Coal should a person run out. I remember seeing them in my local hardware store about a year ago to be exact. How effective are they anyway?

I burn Kerosene, Coal and Peat for my heating requirements with Peat being the biggest contributor with several tonnes each year. Last year my home emmited over 40tonnes of Co2 this year it will be in excess of 100 tonnes as for the people in the house there is 4 vehicles and the combined mileage for this year is over 100K miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭towbar

Is it time to consider a bulk order?

I have somewhere to store bulk pellets in North East if you get really stuck.

There may be other people on boards with storage in other areas. All you need is somewhere to tip it out and bag it either in 10 or 20kg bags.

As I said before I havent got my bulk storage in place yet and just use 3/4 tonne bags. I load one into car trailer and reverse that into garage and fill the pellet boiler from there with a bucket. A lot easier than 10 or 20kg bags.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

I've been told by a WPB supplier that Balcros are not taking on any new bulk order customers until sometime in the new year. What's their problem? Are they snowed under with orders? Does this make the wood pellet boiler as a cheaper method of heating (rather than looking at it from the green aspect) a joke?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭Chimpster

Along with having a guaranteed supply of pellets for their own customers, Kedco are now in a position to sell bagged pellets to non Kedco customers.

The minimum delivery is 1 tonne of bagged pellets. (66 X 15kg bags)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 kennypottle

Like some posters above my bulk supply ran out and Balcas were unable to supply me with a bulk delivery. I heard that they had a plant breakdown. I'm currently using bagged pellets which are a pain and poor value for money compared with a bulk delivery.

If anyone knows of an alternative supplier who can supply bulk blown deliveries could you post the details?

Thanks

Kennypottle..there just aren't any others supplying in bulk except Balcas at the moment and Irish Pellets.com Balcas as we all know can't meet demand. Irish Pellets (selling bulk imported pellets) are charging 250e per tonne...minimum order 3 tonnes. About 80-90e more per tonne than Balcas.

Yes you can get bagged. We have had to get some. Excellent quality bags from Galtee Fuels...Greenheat pellets...imported from Canada. Best quality we have seen. Pity they don't do bulk. Buying bagged pellets is working out 363e per tonne. Only cost effective way is Balcas (did you read other post with newspaper article??) and they are not taking any new orders and it looks like those of us on the existing order list ain't getting to the top of it either!

It's a huge mistake on the part of SEI to give out the grants and not ensure that there is an adquate supply of bulk pellet suppliers to meet the demands of a very fast growing customer base.

I would ask that all of you using and needing pellets keeping calling all those on the SEI list that supply bagged pellets 'cause that way they know that people need pellets and they will be able to think about also doing bulk orders...they will need to get a database together to justify the costs.

Chimpster...how much are the kedco bagged pellets working out per tonne?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭starman100

Anyone see the article in yesterday's Sunday Times? Basically reckons that demand for pellets is far outstripping supply.

Balcas only have 2 lorries capable of 4 deliveries per day - extra trucks cost 200K from Germany and they can't convert animal feed lorries. Other suppliers are currently setting up production but it will be well into next year before they can deliver decent quantities.

Sean Moncrieff (of RTE fame and who has a pellet boiler himslef) was quoted saying that the grant of €4200 was far too generous and should have maybe been only €2000 to prevent too rapid a take-up of the offer. Typical of the SEI (i.e. the government) to throw money at something without looking at the bigger picture. Maybe they should have put some of the money towards grant-aiding the pellet suppliers and not just the consumers!

We're still on oil which pricewise is not too bad at all at the moment and at least we won't be wearing the woolies eating the turkey on Christmas Day.....

PS In fact, this is the article posted already by golden: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055017884

• Advertisement

Chimpster, got email from kedco with their prices. Non customers prices aren't very cost effective but kedco customers are certainly getting a good deal!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 vefoc

Is there anywhere here in Ireland producing pellets yet. And if so are they good quality and easily available?
    I've heard some people mention a place in Offaly and another in Tuam. Anybody have any experience with these?
    My brother is going building a house soon and we were discussing installing a wood pellet system.

To the best of my knowledge none of the Irish plants are up and running yet...well they weren't last month. We are still ordering from Balcas and their wait is around three weeks but their quality is improved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭paulocon

Hi all,

A bit off-topic but what do you all think of your Pellet Systems...

Are they clean to run? Do you see much of a saving over more traditional methods?

Advertisement