Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dipped Headlights - Suprising behaviour

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Here's something that i dont think anyone's realised about "4x4s" (the latest automotive punching bag of the season it seems):

Real 4wheel drives are much higher up than cars, hence when you encounter some low cars they'll still think you've got highbeams on beacuse: A) even when "dipped" they can still be in people's eyeline because of the height of the 4x4 off the ground and B) The lights on some 4 wheel drives are often brighter than those on cars for some reason.

Beeeep ...wrong "excuse" :D

Trucks and vans have their lights high up also ...they rarely dazzle.
    Proper alignment might help though. And the correct bulbs (instead of some high wattage blue tinge blinders) might also help.

I also sit quite high up in my car (4x4)...and still I'm blinded by some fourbyfours.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Also dont really agree with the 4x4 defence either.
    Many trucks pass me by every evening and morning on the other side of the road, some blind me totally others dont- correctly adjusted beams are the issue there (and of course the wánkers that don't dip).

Tonight I had a tosser with fogs and headlights on full up my ass all the way home, if I had a rear searchlight I could have turned on in his face I'd have done it in an instant (on a straight stretch of road) just to let that idiot see what it feels like being blinded.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭AsphaltRisin'

@peasant

Ok,

right...

For a start, if i'd wanted to make an "Excuse" and have said here you go here's reason x and reson y why this excuses jeeps from blinding people.

Now secondly, compare the level of the lights on vans to the lights of a big four wheel drive Or pickup. Lets say a transit and a toyota landcruiser, outside where i am now there's my Granada, a transit and a landcruiser facing the same way as it happens, the to of the transit's lights are only above those of the granada by about 3 inches, compared to at least a foot and a half fot the landcruiser, if you'ree going to use the fact that vans are also high vehicles you should really take into account that the layout of the front of most vans is different to a four wheel drive, it has to be or the 4 wheel drive would have no ground clearance.
    Most modern trucks also have their lights a bit lower than 4x4s also.

As for your point about the alignment of lights and correct bulbs:
    Are you trying to tell me that every 4wheel drive vehicle i've ever driven and experienced someone being dazzled by the lights of had both the wrong bulbs AND had the lights out of allignment? Come on.....
    I've seen first hand, (and actually been confronted by someone who'd taken issue with) the lights on a jeep i was driving dazzling them when it was just after sailing through it's mot in the uk that morning and the lights were on dip. The reason i remember that incident is because the idiot who took offence turned around and followed me into a car park to let me know how "annoyed" he was that people were driving "those monstrosities around in inappropriate environments".

It really ticks me off when people decide to run down whatever/ whoever happens to be the kicking post of the day and act as if, in this case jeeps and their drivers, routinelt set out to harm other people.

Now i'm going to leave this thread because it'll get derailed too much by people having a go because i went against the grain and put forward an opinion different to that of the droning masses.

Are you trying to tell me that every 4wheel drive vehicle i've ever driven and experienced someone being dazzled by the lights of had both the wrong bulbs AND had the lights out of allignment? Come on.....

Don't know about the bulbs ...but properly aligned headlights don't dazzle oncoming traffic whatever (reasonable) height their at.
    Because they're aligned to shine to the edge of the road and not into oncoming traffic.

If the oncoming traffic is stupid enough to look straight into your headlamps, the fact that they're higher up will make a difference, I'll grant you that. But that's just stupidity on their behalf.
    It really ticks me off when people decide to run down whatever/ whoever happens to be the kicking post of the day and act as if, in this case jeeps and their drivers, routinelt set out to harm other people

It may have escaped your attention ...but I drive an offroad-capable vehicle myself ....so take your sulking somewhere else.

The average driver of any bulky 4x4 these days is either a more or less yummy mummy who can hardly see over the dashboard and is totally overwhelmed by her 2.5 ton tank ... never mind in control of it.

or

some "professional" of some description (farmer, builder, haulier) who sincerly believes that their manhood is in danger unless the yoke is lit up like a christmas tree and A-barred and sidestepped til kingdom comes. On top of it all they're usually towing a trailer with a JCB/ two bulls and have their headlamps pointing into high heaven because they've never figured out what that little wheel that says "alignment" actually is for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭AsphaltRisin'

People are far too mouthy today man, too quick to go the route of trying to sound like they're right and/or know what they're talking about at all costs, an i did not for once minute suggest that every jeep out there has the correct blubs, properly aligned lights, a desired lack of extra lighting, or even that they all have someone "appropriate" driving them.

It was infact you who took it down a notch by slagging off all builders/farmers/tradesmen who are apparently all stupid, and let's not forget that there's none of them driving jeeps anymore because it's all "yummy mummys" driving them now, or did yuo forget you'd said that? Yet another convenient buzzword favoured by moaning morrises throughout the land.

And i'm afraid you're wrong about me "sulking", i decided i'm going to leave the thread because i hate when a stupid argument derails a reasonable good thread and didnt want to be part of spoiling the thing.

I would however be quite happy to set up a "arguement" thread so you could argue with me till the cows come home if that would make you happier, might do every one some good to blow off some steam which you seem to be bottling up for use on people you do not approve of.
    Now that's enough of this silly tit for tat spoiling the thread, i'm leaving it, fell free to argue wit me in a separate thread if you wish, god forbid anyone might leave an argument go. Which is what i'm now doing, i wont be responding anymore in this thread, which has now unfortunately been ruined by this

• Advertisement

Please note that my sweeping condemnation of 4x4 drivers started with the words " the average driver of " ...hence it leaves room for the assumption that there are non-average drivers of this kind of vehicle out there as well ...the kind of drivers one DOESN'T notice (by virtue of the fact that they know what they're doing and are capable of driving properly)

Advertisement