Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

WinXP Slipstreaming more than the SP

• 15-11-2006 9:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭

Hi

I have slipstreamed SP2 into my original XP install disk and created it with the boot image.

Thing is I would like to add some/all of the Updates to date into the Install disk as well. Can you slipstream the updates in as well..

I am asking because I have a few machines i will be setting up (different configs so ghosting is not an option) and I would like them all to be patched from initial install rather than spending more time getting them updated?

Any ideas

N

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

The simple answer is, yes!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

Have a look at Autopatcher too
    http://www.autopatcher.com/downloads/
    They update it every month or so with all the XP patches. You run it after you've installed your OS

Just remember that the updates are different to the full version. You must have the full version unpacked to the hard disk first, then you can apply an update to it and run the program. This, i think, won't do you for slipstreaming though, as autopatcher is intended to be run on the PC to update it. you'll need to gather all of the hotfixes in one folder for nlite to add to your image.

While i'm thinking of it, Install Pad would be worth looking at too for when you've the PC's up and running.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

woolymammoth that looks like what I will need.

Autopatcher is not a solution in this case as I dont want to have run anything other than the Windows install.

I will give a go, i will down the updates from the Windows Update site using the Windows Admin version.. That should do the trick i think

Woolymammoth, nLite is perfect, thanks bro.. exactly what I want...

Creating versions for our Dev team so that IIS is loaded automagically etc etc...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/828217
    Extract the 824146 security patch package to a folder (for example, C:\824146) by using the /x command-line switch.

Right from the windows catalog it doesnt seem to be giving me all the security patches... anywhere i can get them all??

You can get them from the Autopatcher files. Sorry, i should've explained myself better before. Autopatcher extracts all of the files (hotfixes, patches, updates, tweaks) to the hard disk. only then do you run the program to choose and install the ones you want. you can manually geather all of the fixes & patches out of the autopatcher folders into one single folder to integrate to nlite. It's tedious, but there isn't really any other way that i'm aware of.

Well that seems fair enough, i will see how i get on with that.. now that i can integrate the device drivers as well, i am going to remake my XP disk for my home machine as well

Thanks

Found a few things.. maybe they will help others

http://www.ryanvm.net/msfn/updatepack.html -- Use the RyanVM Integrator to integrate all the hotfixes into your install. Also includes all the critical patches in one handy download

And of course http://unattended.msfn.org/unattended.xp/view/web/1/ for creating your unattended setup and other handy tips to make your standard windows install disk just that little bit easier

Thanks for all the help guys

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

nLite is the business for this.

If you really want to get *everything*, you can download WSUS from Microsoft, set it up on a dummy server, tell it to download everything. Then you can point nLite at the directory to which all of these updates were downloaded and it will include them.

Created an ISO with RyanVM and nLite together and its the dogs.. Everything configured also with an unattended installation. Tested on a virtual machine. Works very well

Thanks for all the help guys

Advertisement