Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

SE K800i getting stuck on 'emergency calls only'

• 15-11-2006 10:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭

Is anyone else having this problem witht the K800i? When it happens on my T630 it will automatically select the network itself when the signal is better, but the k800i just stays on it. Any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭cranoo

The same thing happened to my phone, I got a sim change and turned the 3G to gsm only and that done the trick, try turning the 3G off first before getting a new sim card.

Cranoo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 cb750

I had same problem with a V600i on Vodafone 3G
    Problem solved by getting Motorola V3X :D

Patrick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭BreadBoard

'emergency calls only' error is sim card or worse sim reader problem. Try cranoos suggestion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

cb750 wrote:
    I had same problem with a V600i on Vodafone 3G
    Problem solved by getting Motorola V3X :D

Patrick
    i think you're the only person in history that solved a problem by getting a motorola phone :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭hobie

i think you're the only person in history that solved a problem by getting a motorola phone

Vimes .... I'm beginning to suspect you were run over by a 'Moto' when you were a small child .... :p

• Advertisement

hobie wrote:
    Vimes .... I'm beginning to suspect you were run over by a 'Moto' when you were a small child .... :p
    a moto killed my father.

but seriously, no i used to sell them so now i hate them. one example: the shop i used to work in had a burn hole in the mouse mat where the battery melted in a v220

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Not all motos??? The E2 is great! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

I must agree with Vimes about Motorola phones. For me, it's not the build quality, but the operating system. Quite frankly, it does not compare well to the likes of Sony Ericsson, Nokia, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Indeed, Motos are rubbish. Full of bugs.

and also the operating system. on a nokia, to send something by bluetooth, you go to the item and press options->send->via bluetooth. simple. on a moto (the v3x anyway) its options->manage->copy. wtf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

I've had a Sagem and Nokia before (as well as trying out a Sony Ericsson) - my moto E2 is just as good as the k750i in terms of OS, better in terms of music, and blows it out of the water in terms of value! (Worse camera though)... and the screen is just fantastic!

Haven't seen a bug in the OS yet... anyway you can just modify it - the linux system is really easy to modify (just enabled quad band on my phone yesterday :D )

Commander Vimes: on the E2 its options->send by->bluetooth :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

As said .. switch to GSM only mode, seems O2 have issues with 3G - not that you really need 3G for anything anyway.

Menu > Settings > Connectivity > Mobile Networks > GSM/3G networks > GSM only

Should sort you out. If it doesn't, and a new SIM doesn't either - bring it into a shop and get it swapped out or repaired.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 198 ✭✭yellabelly

I'm having the occasional "Emerg. Calls Only" with a new K800i. I got a replacement handset but the problem hasn't gone away. O2 CC don't seem to have much of clue about the root cause.
    My 3G SIM is working fine in an old Nokia phone. I'm in a fringe 3G area but don't want to have to turn 3G off.

yellabelly wrote:
    I'm having the occasional "Emerg. Calls Only" with a new K800i. I got a replacement handset but the problem hasn't gone away. O2 CC don't seem to have much of clue about the root cause.
    My 3G SIM is working fine in an old Nokia phone. I'm in a fringe 3G area but don't want to have to turn 3G off.
    You've no choice yellabelly - it's the O2 3G service and O2 software on the phones - it just can't switch from 3G to 2.5G and vice versa reliably. Similiar to Vodafones issues when they first released 3G.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 198 ✭✭yellabelly

ciaranfo wrote:
    You've no choice yellabelly - it's the O2 3G service and O2 software on the phones - it just can't switch from 3G to 2.5G and vice versa reliably. Similiar to Vodafones issues when they first released 3G.

Ciaranfo, I suspected it was 3G related because the blue swirl icon isn't always present when I'm at home. O2s web site has hardly any information on 3G, so it doesn't surprise me
    that the service isn't 100% even in coverage areas.
    I've seen this K800i problem come up on another forum. It would be nice if O2 could admit there is a problem instead of blaming faulty handset hardware. I don't really want to change the K800i because nothing I can find comes near to it for value. Is the same software used in other 3G phones or is it k800i specific?

I think it's the 3G service provided by O2 in general coupled with incorrect setup of the software on their handsets which prevents the phone from switching to 2.5G in time. Just my thoughts based on what I've seen though :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭JDxtra

ciaranfo wrote:
    I think it's the 3G service provided by O2 in general coupled with incorrect setup of the software on their handsets which prevents the phone from switching to 2.5G in time. Just my thoughts based on what I've seen though :)

Agree 100%. Same phone, same problem - switching to GSM only worked a treat.

...it just seems that O2 haven't set everything up for 3G/GSM switching yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭BreadBoard

Do ye think this might have something to do with o2 branding on the phone, assuming it is branded? :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 spytim

hi i'm new here and yes, i had the same problem as everyone else with my o2 K800I.

I changed it from "GSM & 3G" to "GSM only" and it solved the problem. However what i'm not sure about is this: what exactly do you lose by not having 3G switched on???

any input appreciated!

cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭xanthor

spytim wrote:
    what exactly do you lose by not having 3G switched on???

any input appreciated!

cheers.

Far as i can tell, nothing really. '3G' data speeds and standard GRPS data speeds seem to be much the same on O2.

• Advertisement
Advertisement