Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Study Help!!

Options
  • 15-11-2006 10:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41

Well im in 6th yr and I just want a few tips on studying and techniques etc from former 6th years who got very high points (theres pressure on me for high points). I havent done that much in 5th year so now Im going to knuckle down but I dont know where to start..Im Lost!!....help would be greatly appreciated!!

Comments

Maths based subjects - focus on exam papers. Just keep doing them. And doing them. And doing them until algebra is popping out of your eyeballs.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭declan_lgs

There was something in some newspaper recently that seems to be nearly exactly what you want.. Some 600 point student talking about "how he did it" (this is according to my French teacher.. and it was "the guy" who got 7 A1s).

Anyhow my French teachers tells us that for languages, every time he made a mistake he'd try to understand it and make sure he never made that mistake again.

Good luck (you will need it).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭oRlyYaRly

You know how to study, everybody does. Just do it tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,388 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Theres pressure on me for high points too. I just dont let it affect me, I'll get what I want. It can be the same for you, just do what you want to do. I've given up on dreaming of getting primary teaching, no matter what way I go, but everyone else seems determined to make me do Honours Physics which will prop up my points to enough. All ya can do is read, read, practice, practice, practice some more, take a few notes, practice a lot more, then you will notice, "wow, they all the same each time", and it'll be stuck in your head. Also, make sure to keep up with your homework, cos the stuff your doing now and for homework, you might not get chances to revise that in class. Learn from the homework is helping me now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 kenneth1512001

thanks everyone for the help so far but Id love to know more peoples experiences about studying in 6th year..whens the time usually to start studying after school...after christmas or before and general help on taking notes cos I havent got a clue how to actually study for business studies cos our teacher is crap! like most of them- (reason for worry)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭unnameduser

Some common tips are:

Study is a warm comfortable quiet area which is free from distractions.

Create a student timetable and stick to it as best you can. Do not make the mistake of studying the subjects you like rather than the ones you dont like.

Create a good set of notes from your textbooks /revision books and teacher notes.

Download marking schemes from www.examinations.com and study how the exams are marked.

Once you get into the routine of study it wont be so bad. Taking the first step is the hardest part. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

For business I've found the best way is just reading over your notes then putting them away and attempting relevant past paper questions. When you've finished doing them with no help from your notes compare them to the marking scheme and your notes. Reread the relevant section then without any help attempt the question again. If you get it wrong keep at it until the information is stuck in your head and you can answer the question perfectly with no prompts.

In mathskeep doing sums from each section each week. This will keep it all fresh in your mind and mean less stress and confusing formulae etc.

In languages always write down every word your teacher says which you don't understand and every grammar rule you have trouble remembering. Writing things down usually helps me to remember them better and you can glance back at it if you forget later.

Just do every piece of homework to the best of your ability. Sit down and try get an A1 in each assignment. This works as study as well and reinforces what you learned meaning you're more likely to remember and understand it in the future. Also pay attention in class. It takes a hell of a lot of effort but do not tune out at all or get tempted to play with your phone. You'll get the best results from classes this way and won't have to work as hard at home trying to figure out what you did in class that day.

Those are my tips but I'm a 6th year. I've started study now but I'm in the Institute so we have continual assessment which really helps to motivate study. I'm aiming for 530 points so hopefully it's enough!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 kenneth1512001

Things are now becoming clearer thanks to all of ye..any more tips would be very welcome...Thanks!!

Download marking schemes from www.examinations.com and study how the exams are marked.

http://www.examinations.ie/, you mean!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭curtains

The simple answer is just study however suits you best.

You get all these leaflets and 'official' advice telling you "study in quiet, well ventilated room" etc. I got 585 last year and I spent every evening in the kitchen, working away while mum made the dinner. That may not be what suits you, but now's the time to try everything and see which works best.

You won't always get what you want covered in an evening, and if you really can't do it, don't. Just make sure you look over a little, so as not to break the habit. When you are on from - don't stop! If you can manage it, start as soon as you come home, while you're still in the 'school' mindset. One thing I noticed is that, oddly enough, it is really hard to work on a full stomach; take a break after your dinner. Always aim to do the most possible, even if you know you won't be able to. The higher to you aim, the more you will actually get done.

Yes, do exam papers.

If you've got any portfolios/projects/special topics to do, get them out of the way now

In English, if you're aiming for a high grade, try and come up with a few ideas of your own about texts. Just one or two for each poet or play that you can slip in in the exam.

This side of Christmas, and right after the mocks, like someone mentioned already, apply yourself 100% to your homework. It might seem less valuable than pure study, but in a wierd subconscious way it seems to help a lot.

And like someone else said, just don't let the pressure get to you. There is NO course than you cannot get into if you do something else first. And sometimes it's nicer to do something else before getting yourself into a really high points course. First year college students need to get that first taste of freedom out of their system, something that's kind of impaired if you're doing medicine or some such intensive thing.

Good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭unnameduser

Myth wrote:

yep thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 966 ✭✭✭GerryRyan

The best thing is to get a massive A2 or A3 sheet for every subject you have.

Divide each subjects course into blocks, and then smaller blocks again.
    Set yourself little deadlines (eg week ending ...) to have certain chapters or topics done by, stick to it - tick them off as you go along.
    I'm doing this for history (but probably dropping it soon) and economics etc

For maths - it's all down to practising the exam questions. I always leave these to last (just my preference tho)

I'll know in June if this method's worked

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 ac-91

how many points is it for As nd Bs nd Cs nd Ds nd Es...im only in 5th year nd im already stressn...i no im nt studyn enuf bt i cnt focus...im doin gr8 in english nd religion nd good in physics nd im passn maths but french geog nd irish im failn...BADLY!!...wat can i do? r d less stress more success r revise wise gud?

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭declan_lgs

ac-91 wrote:
    how many points is it for As nd Bs nd Cs nd Ds nd Es...im only in 5th year nd im already stressn...i no im nt studyn enuf bt i cnt focus...im doin gr8 in english nd religion nd good in physics nd im passn maths but french geog nd irish im failn...BADLY!!...wat can i do? r d less stress more success r revise wise gud?
    http://qualifax.ie/?Mainsec=users&Subsec=calc_points
    If you're only in 5th year the revision books won't be that much help yet ... look over what you've done since September. Don't you have christmas tests? Get revising what you've done in class anyhow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Mushy wrote:
    Theres pressure on me for high points too.
    Did you not say in the other thread you wanted 350 for Arts?

ac-91 wrote:
    im doin gr8 in english
    :rolleyes:

I find doing App Maths, Maths and Physics is a huge advantage as each one helps the other(and there's overlap too). In Physics you have to learn experiments and definitions(although I answer with formulae wherever possible), but apart from that you justhave to understand what you're doing and do exam papers so you get used to any tricky ones they might ask.

For Chemistry, the only questions they can really ask you are definitions, experiments and maths questions, so I take this into account when studying.

For History I just make notes and plan essays really. I know I know a chapter when I can quickly jot down chronologially what happened in it without looking at my book/notes(well, sometimes I glance at the headings in my notes).(usually do this the next day)

For Irish I get As simply reading whatever we have a test on once or twice, oh the joys of being in an all Irish school :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭balzarywex

english - formulate ur own opinions, back up with quotes, constant referral to the question in ur answer

history - case studies and all d aspects surrounding them!!!!!! also focus on perspectives

geography- case studies. learn by countries/ regions eg. one region may cover aspects of physical, environmental, cultural and economic with information overlapping

bio- know ur definitions and practise diagrams constantly!!!!!

irish- think in Irish not english!!!!

maths - past exam papers OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER....(ye get d point)

chem - stoichiometry is d basis of (most) things

GOOD LUCK!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 ac-91

declan_lgs wrote:
    Don't you have christmas tests?
    i dnt ave any xmas tests...well only in phsysics but i find dat easy coz ders only 10 ppl in my class nd evn thou im nt failn (im jst alwys 4gtn h/w nd didnt do dat gud on my 1st tests) d teachrs givn me extra help so im up 2 a B now:D ....i ave a revise wise maths book coz i had sum trouble getn in2 d honours class coz ders only 1 honours class out of 6 maths class!! nd its helpn me undrstand a gud bit dat i missd nd im getn grinds....
    its just goeg nd french dat r killn me!!....i missd a load of d french coz i did d pass course nd took d honour paper on d day nd i gt a C so i was put in an honours class dis year...nd geography da teachr cnt teach nd we dnt wanna learn so d only ppl passn r d 1s cheatn! so i was thinkn of a revisn book 2 catch up on well evrything since septembr...
    tanx 4 ur help i realy am gonna study!! does it gt ny easier in 6th year??:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,388 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

JC2K3 wrote:
    Did you not say in the other thread you wanted 350 for Arts?

The pressure isnt coming from me. My Careers teacher, whose out at the moment, still thinks I can get 465...easily, as do other teachers, my parents think I should be getting around 450. The pressure is coming from other people, they dont accept Im ready to sit back a bit and get the 350 needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Ballerina

ok dont really have time to read the other posts so im prabably reapeating myself but i got 545 last year and heres my advice;

do at least an hour study EVERYday (obviously more if possible but basically-keep it constant without overworking..)

go out! dont forget u NEED a social life throughout sixth yr or you will get too stressed!a proper night out every two weeks should do it tho.

DONT put pressure on yourself..have somthing down on your cao that you can DEFINETLY achieve so that if you dont get your fist choice the world wont end

remember the leaving cert ISNT everything(although i laughed in the face at anyone who said this to me last year!!!)life REALLY does go on afterwards and YES college is waaay harder!!

but mostly,everytime you really dont want to study when you should-imagine yourself on the day of the results,with the results you wanted in your hands-THEN its all worth it :)

good luck :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Steve01

Well im in 6th yr and I just want a few tips on studying and techniques etc from former 6th years who got very high points (theres pressure on me for high points). I havent done that much in 5th year so now Im going to knuckle down but I dont know where to start..Im Lost!!....help would be greatly appreciated!!

Forget it, your f*cked. Start learning how to dish out McNuggets because thats what you're stuck doing for the rest of your life. I hope I pass you one day in the street in my yuppie sportscar while your cleaning sh*t off the street. Oh how I will laugh.

Nah just kidding. Do what everyone else says

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Schlemm

Don't worry too much about 5th yr....in 5th yr you really find out what your strengths and weaknesses are and what subjects you're good or weak at. Just keep the nose to the grindstone and pay attention, but save your energy for 6th yr.

By the end of the summer before 6th year, you can see what the points were for the college courses and you can be getting an idea about what you want to do and what you're going to need for it. You should also know what subjects you're going to use for points and what your target grades in each of those subjects are. Knowing what you are aiming for in each subject is a great way to focus. It really keeps you on your toes and helps you get weaker subjects up to speed.

6th year is a lot like running a marathon (everyone uses this analogy but it's really true!). Stay focused and remember that it's better to invest a lot of hard work in the one year rather than repeating (although there's nothing wrong with repeating......didn't repeat myself, but most ppl who I know who repeated seem to learn from their mistakes the 2nd time around).

Study timetables really help. I made one for each month and would assign 2 or 3 subjects per night to study after homework and at the weekends. The reality is that they're hard to stick to and are very nerdy!! But at least you can see what you need to do on paper and have some sense of direction in your work. Using a study timetable helps you to see what you've covered and what you haven't covered.

If you have a crap teacher in any subject, get a grind if you feel you're missing out on stuff. Revision courses are great in 6th year; I did the crash courses in a few subjects at the Institute at Christmas and it really helped. I went again at Easter for history but only cos I was up s*** creek for it. However I was a lot more tired at Easter cos you're wrecked, you've just done the mocks/orals, etc. So if you're doing a revision course, do it at Christmas and leave Easter free just in case!!

Finally, have something in your life that is a break from studying. Whatever it is, be it fishing or seeing friends or whatever, it's really important cos the workload can be tough. If you have too much work in your week you go crazy, simple as that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

This thread seems awfully familiar.

Advertisement