Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

no heating

Options
  • 15-11-2006 11:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭

im in my flat 3 months- and ive no heating- i didnt notice till about 6 weeks ago as the nights were warm enough but not its gotten cold

My landlord went on holidays the day i reliased id no heating-And she came back 3 weeks later!Id no one to contact about the heating-Since shes come back ive called her about 15 times about this as its FREEZING and she keeps saying shes called someone about it and he said hed be up..

But he hasnt...

I called again today and she said she contacted him again and he would def be down today

Didnt show up...

Im getting sick of this its FREEZING outside and Im dying with the flu!

Am i entitled to get someone to do it myself and give her the bill?Or do i have to wait around for him to "show up"...

My sister suggested withholding the rent until its fixed-But ive no lease and I know she will kick me out If i do that(Shes done it before when someone with held the rent)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭catherine22

heya sorry for your trouble.

so your landlord wont get someone to fix the heating u have no lease and she has thrown the previous tenant out- why are you living there. if you have no lease you ultimately have no comeback.

i dont know your situation but could you not move out i mean u r beholden to her and whats to say in two months time she will just kick you out- no explantion at all?

sorry for the off topic reply, in short theres nothing you can do. if u want ur landlord to pay, she has to sort it or alternatively check a few workmen out,ring them up, ask them when they are available and if they are available in the next day or so ring your landlord and tell her u have found some one who is willing to come out and see what her reaction is. in the mean time buy an electric heater- i know they are expensive but its better than being cold! trust me i know what it is like to live in a house where it is warmer outside!

good luck!

keep us updated

ps get yourself down to the citzens advice first thing tomorrow and see if they can do anything, they provide free legal advice if need be!

but seriously consider moving out, who knows what ur landlord will do next
    x

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Just because you do not have a lease does *not* mean you do not have rights. Accommodation must by law meet basic standards. Notify the landlord immediately in writing of any repair work needed on the heating system and organise to allow access for the work to be done. If the landlord fails to fix this serious problem within a reasonable time, you can get the repairs done and your landlord must then reimburse you. By rights you should have notified your landlord in writing of the problem previously- you should do this immediately.

Contact Threshold on www.threshold.ie or 01-6786096 for more info.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Amateur hour landlords again. How about we do a sticky on tenants and landlords rights?

As the above posters said, put it in writing. I wouldn't put up with a landlord like that anyway, so I'd look to move out. She has no rights to "kick you out" without following proper procedure (threshold will tell you what they are, if you don't have a lease the law sets out minimum rights to protect you), so don't let yourself be pushed around.

Make sure to submit a rental allowance claim to the revenue at the end of the year - there's no need to ask for her PPS number, just put in her name and address and send it off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭pepper

My landlors called in to me last night apoligising over and over saying how sorry she was etc(I think its cos im sick is the only reason she made such a big deal about it)

ANYWAY........
    she said guy to fix the heating would be here at 9am this morning...And he still hasnt called!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

pepper wrote:
    ANYWAY........
    she said guy to fix the heating would be here at 9am this morning...And he still hasnt called!!!
    you've given enough chances to the landlord...get your own plumber in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭shoegirl

You can either complain to the local authority (if they send around an inspector they can declare the place substandard if there is no heating at all and order your landlord to get it fixed) or else tell your landlord you are putting in a claim with the private tenancies board - my experience of landlord's is that they act pretty fast once there is a mention of PTRB or the Revenue Commissioners...

Advertisement