Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dedicated Server - Tibus

Options
  • 15-11-2006 11:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Just want to get a few comments on this dedicated server option that I found from Tibus:

http://www.tibus.com/network-services/hosting/managed/microsoft-euro/

I'm looking for a dedicated server to move up from shared hosting. I've spent a good bit of time looking around at the main players in the Irish market but when you add on management, firewall, ms sql, etc. it can get quite expensive in the Irish market. What I'm looking at is a dedicated server for around 200-300. On Tibus the sample configuration A with patching and version management, it's coming in at 240 euro, which isn't bad. Could probably use MSSQL 2005 express edition with this server config as having full version would be no extra benefit AFAIK.

Anyone got any opinion on this? Anyone got any other suggestions? If the server is based in Northern Ireland (as far as I remember, they have a data centre in house), will this affect google and the likes thinking the sites hosted on that server are UK sites and not Irish?

Looking forward to hearing responses. Thx.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Laslo

I don't know anyone hosting with Tibus. Have a look at www.hosting365.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭DJB

Hi. Just to clarify, i'm not looking for just links to hosting companies (I know most of the major Irish ones and have checked out their offers - I actually host with one of them already) but maybe someone who has a dedicated server or has already upsized from shared hosting and can offer advice or options on doing so or could maybe offer their opinion on the offer by Tibus.

I have worked with Tibus in the past with one of my clients and found them quite good in service and support.

I wouldn't mind hearing from the hosts on this board with suggestions they might have for upsizing from shared hosting without a massive jump in costs!

Sorry if this post seemed a bit rude but I don't want it to turn into a thread with just links to the major hosting companies like so many others I've seen (and contributed to).

Rgds,

Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

DJB wrote:
    Anyone got any opinion on this? Anyone got any other suggestions? If the server is based in Northern Ireland (as far as I remember, they have a data centre in house), will this affect google and the likes thinking the sites hosted on that server are UK sites and not Irish?

It depends on their IP blocks ie. whether they are listed under a UK office or an Irish one.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭DJB

Cheers Michele. I'll check that out with them. Subsequently found that they have servers in Dublin and Belfast so maybe that problem can easily be got around. Do you have any suggestions for a good upsize path?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

DJB wrote:
    Do you have any suggestions for a good upsize path?

If you are using Windows as your OS your baseline costs are going to be higher due to licensing.

While most of the larger hosting companies, including ourselves, have bulk licensing agreements with Microsoft some costs are unavoidable.
    Some of the new licensing that comes with MS SQL 2005 does make it a bit less painful however :)

Your basic options would be to either get a dedicated machine from a provider OR go down the colo route.

Depending on your skillset and how adventurous you are making the jump from shared to dedicated could be fun or an absolute nightmare :)

If you got some form of management with the colo, even if it was ad-hoc, then you'd save over time (you'd still have an upfront hardware cost, but as you're in this game for the long haul I wouldn't worry too much about that).

In any case you should opt for a provider that has a good reputation and a proven track record (ie. they didn't open their doors last week)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Laslo

DJB wrote:
    Hi. Just to clarify, i'm not looking for just links to hosting companies (I know most of the major Irish ones and have checked out their offers - I actually host with one of them already) but maybe someone who has a dedicated server or has already upsized from shared hosting and can offer advice or options on doing so or could maybe offer their opinion on the offer by Tibus.

Well coming from a Web developer's perspective, I wouldn't even consider them. Their hosting might be good but I look at their site and all I see is a one-stop-shop, Jack of all trades company. Web design and application develpment, content management, accessibility and usability, RIA's, e-Learning, Hosting, broadband, domains, security and consultancy services. Wow! They may be the best company on earth... but this makes me feel uneasy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

You can get a basic dedicated server, running Windows 2003 web edition and SQL 2005 Express from about 100-150 euro per month, including the basic services.

As Michele said above tho, the leap from shared to dedicated is a big one.

One way we get around this for customers is by providing the exact same control panel interface for the dedicated server, as we use for our shared hosting, we find the familiarity makes things a lot simpler and most customers never need to log in as admin (even though the option is always there is you need to install custom software, etc)

HTH, Stephen

Advertisement