Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tripod Opening

• 15-11-2006 11:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭

Tripod is due to open tomorrow night after some setbacks due to fire safety issues which have been resolved.

The upcoming lineup is amazing and a great one to start off this saturday night with digweed playing, by far this is prob going to be the biggest dance club ever to hit ireland.

is anyone going to the gig on saturday

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

i like the way you said biggest and not best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

and its been cancelled anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭coldfeet

and it was friday

• Registered Users Posts: 25 itchymarky

Jimmy Cliff was scheduled to play tonight...with Digweed scheduled for Friday afaik.

And yes, it has been cancelled for the same reasons as it was postponed before afaik.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭topdog8

i like the way you said biggest and not best.

Well it will be impossible to say best when the club hasnt opened yet but im sure it will make a great impact on the scene.

sorry got mixed up with the dates, its a shame they cant seem to get nigly little bits sorted out for the fire officer to pass on.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I heard t has been designed much more as a venue for gigs of all types and not specifically as a dance club as such. Is this true? IMO it can't do well at both really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

"Irelands biggest dancefloors" according to the radio ads, so presumably Irelands biggest capacity venue, which is odd as the speculation here suggested it was a much more scaled back club and mainly for gigs.

I dont think it operates any more but the Oasis in Monaghan held a few thousand didnt it?

So, any ideas on the door policy? I loved the old Redbox, only made it a handful of times seeing as it closed when I wasnt even 19. Any expectations on the new door policy? Age policy? I walked in there a few times age 18 locked out of my bin, knowing my luck Ill now be 20, sober and "not tonight lads" :confused:

So its not opening tonight after all? Why?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

The OLD redbox (before that disasterous renovation) was my favorite club ever. I had many many fantastic Thursday and Saturday nights spent dancing my heart out with nothing more than a few redbulls all night. it had a fantastic vibe back in those days but I really doubt it will every get it back.
    It will probably be a great venue for gigs etc but imo they never should have changed it at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭monkey tennis

shane86 wrote:
    "I loved the old Redbox, only made it a handful of times seeing as it closed when I wasnt even 19.

So you didn't even see the actual old Redbox? The newer pimpified version wasn't as much craic for some reason (too bright I think?).

Jaysus, the memories of many nights of Digweed and Nick Warren back in the old century...

Sorry grandad :D Didnt know there was an old old redbox.

Only messin with ya, if I had my way Ida been born in the mid 70s, hittin the late teens in the early 90s as the rave scene was in full swing and every month seemed to bring a classic hip hop release :(

So its deffo not open tonight?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Nor tomorrow. WASP has been cancelled due to the venue not being ready.

im actually going to be working the door in the place, i was talking to the head doorman today they are still unsure of the exact date and there is alot of pressure on to get it up and running.
    The venue will hold mostly dance nights but is open for nights for bands and other gigs.
    The capacity i thing is 2700 but dont quote me.
    As for the door policy like most new places the policy should be very strict and possibly like the same clientle as the pod but again dont quote me on that either i still haven been informed yet.
    I cant wait to start back doing it get to see all my favourite Djs and actually get paid for it how good is that..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭monkey tennis

topdog8 wrote:
    As for the door policy like most new places the policy should be very strict and possibly like the same clientle as the pod but again dont quote me on that either i still haven been informed yet.

So it won't be the old Redbox knacker-fest it used to be? Thanks be to Jaysus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

give it time....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

Two weeks and it will be full of 5th/6th Years - just like before it was renovated.

AFAIK Time out in Naas has the biggest dancefloor/capacity.

looks like it wont be open til 2007 now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

did they hire the same lads who are building wembly?

and the port tunnel by the looks of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

topdog8 wrote:
    im actually going to be working the door in the place, i was talking to the head doorman today they are still unsure of the exact date and there is alot of pressure on to get it up and running.
    The venue will hold mostly dance nights but is open for nights for bands and other gigs.
    The capacity i thing is 2700 but dont quote me.
    I cant wait to start back doing it get to see all my favourite Djs and actually get paid for it how good is that..

Good man so i assume the regulars on here wont have any issues getting in and all that?Used to be a right shower of cun*s who worked the door the the Red Box coked up thought they were the dogs,one nite they would let you in the next week they would refuse you :rolleyes: hopefully the door policy will be sorted out.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭DUB1

jonny68 wrote:
    Good man so i assume the regulars on here wont have any issues getting in and all that?Used to be a right shower of cun*s who worked the door the the Red Box coked up thought they were the dogs,one nite they would let you in the next week they would refuse you :rolleyes: hopefully the door policy will be sorted out.;)

WE HAD SUM NITES IN THERE JONNY SUM DAT SPRING 2 MIND R DAVE ANGEL AND DAT NITE WIT PVD IN DA POD[DIDNT KNO WAT HIT DA PLACE LOL] AND DANNY RAMPLING IN DA RED BOX WAT A NITE WIT PVD PLAYING SUM OF HIS CLASSICS LIK 'VISIONS OF SHIVA-PERFECT DAY AND SUM OF THEM POWDER BUBBLE NITES WERE GUD AS WELL :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 168 ✭✭Jimmy81

So you didn't even see the actual old Redbox? The newer pimpified version wasn't as much craic for some reason (too bright I think?).

Jaysus, the memories of many nights of Digweed and Nick Warren back in the old century...

I remember the gig Nick Warren did just before one Christmas, one of the best nights ive had out in Dublin, the place was hopping. Ah the memories....:D

DUB1 wrote:
    WE HAD SUM NITES IN THERE JONNY SUM DAT SPRING 2 MIND R DAVE ANGEL AND DAT NITE WIT PVD IN DA POD[DIDNT KNO WAT HIT DA PLACE LOL] AND DANNY RAMPLING IN DA RED BOX WAT A NITE WIT PVD PLAYING SUM OF HIS CLASSICS LIK 'VISIONS OF SHIVA-PERFECT DAY AND SUM OF THEM POWDER BUBBLE NITES WERE GUD AS WELL :D

we did indeed Marc madness jaysus if forgotten all about them powderbubble nites some craic theyw were :D

jonny68 wrote:

i know alot of the lads who used to run it, some of them are sound others were complete **** and let the whole power thing go to there head.
    From what i heard of who is going to be working with me its a good strong proffesional team who are actually able to communicate with people instead of been physical. jonny im sure you and anybody on here would have no prblem getting in. At the end of the day your just there for the tunes not to cos trouble and thats the way id look at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭smoke

Helix wrote:
    looks like it wont be open til 2007 now

Yeah this is right 2007. Although there are still rumours it'll be open before then. Wouldn't hold my breath for this place opening.

Wait until you've heard someone you know has actually been to a gig there. Thats the way I'm gona play it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭voltamadan

so did anyone else get down to see Flash?

aye

i did

its not very good to be honest, itll be a great live venue, but its not for djs at all

they seem like an afterthought. kinda like stickin a dj on the stage in the olympia... it just doesnt work right

topdog8 wrote:
    From what i heard of who is going to be working with me its a good strong proffesional team who are actually able to communicate with people instead of been physical. jonny im sure you and anybody on here would have no prblem getting in. At the end of the day your just there for the tunes not to cos trouble and thats the way id look at it.

Good to hear mate when i do decide to go maybe ill let you know in advance as to not having any possible hassle on the door.;)

Did anyone go to Grandmaster Flash - I hear it was one of the ebst nights of the year. Aparantly Tripod is really cool, I'm looking forward to going now. I'll give 515 a go next week I think

i was at it

flash was absolutely awful. playing unimaginative cheese, and not playing it particularly well. the man has gone seriously downhill since the first time i saw him

tripod as a venue, well the main room, is rubbish for dance gigs. its like the olympia with a set of decks on stage. just doesnt work at all for me

the main room wont be open for 515 tho so you wont get to see it

and enjoy the hour long queues for the bar

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Lads give me a shout if yis want free passes and I'll get yis put on the guestlist

Lenny wrote:
    Lads give me a shout if yis want free passes and I'll get yis put on the guestlist
    for Tripod nice one mate ill be in touch withnyou about that sometime.;)

an oul sasha freebie would be nice there lenballs :D

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

lol, could see everyone asking for sasha people already pm'd.. I am not too sure about getting guestlist at sell outs at this stage.. still a bit fishy at the mo

will you be able to get freebies for bands when theyre on in tripod? coz the mars volta and the rapture are playin in the new year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 120 ✭✭SBob

Helix wrote:
    i was at it

flash was absolutely awful. playing unimaginative cheese, and not playing it particularly well. the man has gone seriously downhill since the first time i saw him

tripod as a venue, well the main room, is rubbish for dance gigs. its like the olympia with a set of decks on stage. just doesnt work at all for me

the main room wont be open for 515 tho so you wont get to see it

and enjoy the hour long queues for the bar

Completely disagree!! Thought it was versatile enough to be a DJ venue, nothing at all like the olympia cannot understand where you get that. Reminded me of a small london astoria.

And thought flash was great, looked to me like the rest of the crowd thought so too

• Advertisement

Over 21s? Bollix, pretty much like everywhere else in Dublin on Saturday bar Redz, 21s and Spirit :( Listen, Im as sick of cheese music and 19 year old country lads/rugger heads pissed on 5 pints and bumping into everyone as the rest of yis, whch is why I attend such venues only because sometimes there is nowhere better.

Hmm, we have one or two bouncers/guestlist heads here, should I chance my arm lads?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 881 ✭✭✭crybaby

disagree, thought it was brilliant and there was a quality atmosphere at the gig aswell, he went through all the classics in fairness to him, sugar hill gang, furious five, krs one, dr.dre, snoop etc. i know he played fairly mainstream stuff but nothing i would consider cheese

i dont think anyone will ever perfect a bar system for a club like that but i found the most effective method is to attack it at the very corner and you usually get served fairly quick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭voltamadan

Thought the whole thing was a let down. some wagon on the guestlist barely letting us in, literally half an hour queing for a beer, watching flash on autopilot.... wasn't impressed. and no, it doesn't work as a venue for a dj.

One of my college mates said it was open, so I decided to head along.

Doors- Arrived about 12:30, big queue. "Not tonight" was what I got first. I was tired and probably looked it, but Id only had 3 cans. After hanging around till the queue cleared was let in.

Bar- In the first hour it was 5 mins plus to get served, really understaffed for the crowd. 3 quid per pint, but they only had Heineken and two others. The Heineken wasnt the best.

People- Well, it was a Thursday, meaning students. Dont ask me why, but students usually dont know how to conduct themselves for some reason. Pushing through the crowd, drinking on the floor, spilling drink all over the place, you know the types. So in 2 words, largely wanky, but I suppose you cant judge the weekend crowd by that crowd.
    Oh yes, and some prick robbed my two double vodkas. Students eh.

Tunes- Ah, hit and miss. Mainly pop and r&b, they seemed tro be playing some grand hip hop when I was in the ( very long) coat queue but it ceased by when I got in. Played the odd bit of decent chart dance, the only classic I recall them playing was We Become One. At around 2am it all went pear shaped. DJs who had spent half the night shouting about "Tripod, the heart of Dublin clubbing is back" and other such stuff really should have more common sense than to end the night with the "student favourites"- basically poxy wedding music (Your the One that I Want, the end song from Theres Something About Mary, I Need You or something, all that utter ****e basically) that had all the pissed clowns in their element. It got so bad I thought theyd play the national anthem at the end. So basically I spent the last 20 minutes on the side of the floor stroking my chin and deriding the music :)

So, as said you cant judge a club on the **** that plays on student nights and the **** these nights attract, but...ack....id give my night out a five.

Advertisement