Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Higher Level English

Options
  • 16-11-2006 12:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭

Does anyone 1 struggle with Higher English? my teacher is putting a load of pressure on me, i got a D3 in my last test! I was hoping the Christmas course in the institute will help me? Do you think i am relying on that too much i really want to get a B3 or C1 and do you think i should get grinds aswell???thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,388 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

I struggle with higher english. Then again I've the worst teacher in the school. Iv complained about him so many times this year, its unreal. I'm just like you, hoping for a B3 or C1 at minimum, and Im not the best at English, just a little bit of TEACHING would help. Since the start of 5th year, I've done a total of three essays, shouldnt it be at least one a week? Im going about organising grinds aswell, to start after Christmas. My teacher is a joke, and if I ever talk to him when Im finished, it wont be nice. Oh, you said a D3 in your last test, wow, havent had an english test(class one) since like 3rd year). In the summer exam I got like C3 or something. I just use notes from skoool.ie, because I cant rely on the stuff he attempts to teach us

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Find a mate in a similar position, set each other essay titles to do during study periods, can be a laugh, if you impress your mate, chances are it'll impress a marker, good writing is good writing.

Poetry is harder now but there are 2 methods depending on which you're more inclined to- learning what other people think of the poems or interpreting them yourself. If you can read poetry well then your own interpretations will be easier to remember and more personal, however, some people don't really think things through that well and you can end up with some interpretations that are just... wrong.

As for set text, I'm sure you already have access to excessive notes on it although I would recommend giving the text a good read first and trying to enjoy it, that's why they were written in the first place. skim through the stuff you wouldn't get and come back to it after reading the whole thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

Just go through the Exam Papers and do as many essays as possible in your spare time, have them corrected and learn from your mistakes. Practice makes perfect...now once I try out this method myself for any other subject than Irish, I'll get back to ya.

Advertisement