Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Romantic spots in Galway?

Options
  • 16-11-2006 12:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi All

Having to go unreg for this question as girlfriend is a regular boards poster too so can't be having her know what i am up to!

Basically the long and short of it is that i am going to propose to my girlfriend of 3 yrs later this month, I am going to do it in Galway and am looking for some ideas of nice rosemantic spot's in Galway ( not oo far outside the city) that i could choose to pop the question at.

And then folowing that possibly some names of reputable jewelers in the Galway area that would have a good selection of rings to choose from.

Mod's - please eel free to move this to the weddings and marriage forum if need be.

Regards

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I think that this will get better responses in the Galway City forum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭plonk

I would recommend the jewellers on cross street also i would reccommend that you bring her out to renvyle for the weekend. Would you not want to get her to pick the ring just incase

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

romantic? wrote:
    rosemantic
    I vomited a little in my mouth when reading that:p

Good luck with the proposal and all that, wish I could be of more help but i'm not really the "rosemantic" type

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

On the beach after dark when its all quiet. Bring a towel / blanket and do it there. If she says no you can bock her over the head with a rock and send the corpse out to sea!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

lol @ the sok

im gonna say ashford castle and fallers jewelers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Silver Strand ha ha ha:D :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Asok wrote:
    If she says no you can bock her over the head with a rock and send the corpse out to sea!

Danny, you old softy. <3

Hrm...

Down by the Claddagh at the end near the pier. Very romantic down there in the night time. Erm, probably down near the Town Hall Theatre.. where the canals are and the benches. Also very romantic.

The docks too. Nothing more romantic than nasty fumes, drunken sailors and cheap hookers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Hrm...

Down by the Claddagh at the end near the pier. Very romantic down there in the night time.

That's where my husband proposed to me... and also where we had out first kiss (sigh..) although not in that order :D
    Very romantic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

plonk wrote:
    I would recommend the jewellers on cross street
    Which one?

If you wait a couple of weeks for them to turn on the Christmas lights at Royal Tara in Mervue - lovely spot on a December evening...

Just bring a blanket, a punnet of strawberries, a bottle of bubbly and a couple of pocket hand warmers!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭Drift

The Claddagh
    The Spanish Arch
    Woodquay

They're all nice, water at each location which is nice. If you have a car and fancy a bit more privacy I'd recommend drving somewhere along the coast towards connemara, the spiddal road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭hamsterboy

The beach beside the pier on Inis Mor, on the Aran Islands just as it's getting dark. Lovely spot!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Be sure to propose with a claddagh ring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭plonk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭digweed

try tempo antiques on cross street. they have a really nice selection of new and old jewellery, and very good customer service. friendly to go in to as well.

one of the guys in there was in the advertiser a couple of weeks ago for getting his gemmology diploma in nuig. seems to know his stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

Its a little outside the city but silver strand is nice if you go late enough to catch the sun going down.

Good lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭stevecrow74

ARGINITE wrote:
    Its a little outside the city but silver strand is nice if you go late enough to catch the sun going down.

Good lucky.

he he.. you might see me fishing there if you go there...

but yeah silverstrand especially if you get a good sunset...

barna woods...

woodquay

menlo house (The ruin up the river)

or a bit further out..

or if you really want to go all out... dun aengus on inis mor (not the apartments down by the docks)
    or the cliffs of moher...

or the one she wont be able to say no to..
    or just get a cheap weekend flight to paris(it can be done)(been there and done that):D:D:D
    just make sure passports are to date..

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

ARGINITE wrote:

Good lucky.
    Silver Strand? After dark? For a couple? Are you Stan Collymore?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭galwaygirleen

Well thought long and hard about this one! Just thinking about where himself and meself used to go and it was down by the river in woodquay! (and no boys it didnt include a bottle of buckfast) Id stay clear of renvyle in oranmore for a while cos of the caravans!! dont think that would be to romantic! if ur looking for a beach theres a nice lil one in furbo beside the pub nice and handy!! Cladagh is a good spot to cos u can walk up along the beach and the pier. As for jewellers having been in every single one in the last week im engaged myself and hunting for a diamond wedding band to go with the engagement that i bought in the usa and thats going to have to get made to fit the bloody thing! anyways..... Hartmans for top class luxury!! Lazlos, Blacoes new store on maingaurd st staff very helpful and good choice of rings for all budgets! Fallers very open and not much privacy when chosing the ring!! good luck and congrats!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Claddagh - If you get the ride wrong you'll me smelling sh1t as you get on one knee

Silver Strand - Are you mad? Might come accross another g4y orgy :eek:

If you're after a sun-set at a very quiet location..... Go to the Galway Bay Sailing Club at Rinvylle (Renvylle is in Conemmara), Oranmore. When you get there, park the car. Keep walking down the little booreen until you get to the very end. You're left with a tiny headland and very little people walk down that far. If the wind is calm and the sky is clear, you will have probably the best sun-set in Galway, you'll also be able to see the sun shining on the city/Salthill

untitledvn5.png

Now where the hell do I collect my prize? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Fey! wrote:
    Which one?

If you wait a couple of weeks for them to turn on the Christmas lights at Royal Tara in Mervue - lovely spot on a December evening...

Just bring a blanket, a punnet of strawberries, a bottle of bubbly and a couple of pocket hand warmers!!!
    No ofence bu'... The lights in Royal Tara in Mervue are mediocre even by Galway standards. You'd have the cockles of your heart equally warmed sitting up outside one of the settled traveller's houses in Ballybane with their magical mystical christmas lights displays.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

No offence taken - it used to be nice there years ago (haven't been up there in a few years!)

Digweed - thanks for the kind words!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,245 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Just beside Knocknacarra is Gentians Bay, if you come down onto the beach there and walk out to the cliff's edge, there's a point where the bay meets Galway Bay that is stunningly beautiful at night. I took an ex there one night before we'd gotten together (basically when I decided to try my arm) and when I kissed her she literally went weak at the knees. I'd like to think that some of that was down to me but in all honesty I think a lot of it was down to the romantic nature of the location. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Supermacs that is all........... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Budd

I don't think a Claddagh ring is the best idea. Looks too much like Goatse and is not teh sort of message you want to be sending out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Or is it?

Advertisement