Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cross Border Tax

Options
  • 16-11-2006 1:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭

If you work in Northern Ireland in a public sector job and live in the Republic then you could be in line for a tax rebate. This only applies if you are married. Let me explain. Under tax law ( a thing called Article 18) if you are married your spouse can claim married person's allowance for themselves. You have single person's allowance in the north. I got a cheque for €13000 today going back four years. The Revenue do not inform people about this. This only applies if you work in a public sector job -you have to be employed by the British government. Hope someone else benefits from this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭0lordy

Thanks for the heads-up, Bomany, but why only the public sector? :(
    Do you have a link to follow up for more detail?

• Registered Users Posts: 46,094 ✭✭✭✭muffler

There was a bit on Highland radio about something similar to this. I think it had to with maternity benefit being taxed for women who worked for the public service. I think they can now claim back any tax paid or maybe part of it but there is a deadline I think.

I didnt catch the full story.

Cllr Dessie Larkin was the man who rang in with the details so if anyone wants more info then contact our Dessie :)

Advertisement