Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Willie O' Dea & Sean South

Options
  • 16-11-2006 9:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,599 ✭✭✭

This man is Ingenious :D

From today's Irish Examiner

http://www.irishexaminer.com/irishexaminer/pages/story.aspx-qqqg=ireland-qqqm=ireland-qqqa=ireland-qqqid=18402-qqqx=1.asp
    O’Dea pulls out of launch for IRA man’s biography

By Jimmy Woulfe, Mid-West Correspondent
    DEFENCE MINISTER Willie O’Dea was at the centre of another embarrassing gaffe last night after it was claimed he was forced to pull out of the launch of the biography of the famed Limerick IRA man Sean South of Garryowen.

The minister, who is also from Limerick, withdrew from the event claiming he did not realise who the book was about when he agreed to do the launch. The biography by Des Fogerty is entitled Sean South of Garryowen.

Mr O’Dea rejected claims by the family that he came under pressure from his own officials to pull out.

Sean South, whose death inspired a famous rebel ballad, was shot dead along with another IRA man, Fergal O’Hanlon, during an attack on the RUC barracks in Brookeborough, in January 1957.

Mr O’Dea said: “I thought the book I was to launch was about somebody else.”

However, Owen South, a well-known photographer and nephew of Sean South, challenged the minister’s version of events.

“The publisher got a call from the Department of Defence saying the minister would not be attending the launch at Peter Clohessy’s bar next Saturday night,” he said.

“It was the department and not the minister who contacted us to say he would not be turning up. For the minister to say he did not know at the outset who the book was about is rubbish. He knew all along the book was about Sean South. Obviously there was pressure from his own department or somewhere not to turn up.”

Mr O’Dea said that when he accepted the invitation to launch the book, he did not realise it was about Sean South.

“I did not realise it was about Sean South until the other day and I did not think it would be appropriate for the Minister for Defence to launch a book about Sean South,” he said.

Mr O’Dea denied he was warned by officials in the Department of Defence not to do the launch.

“It was my own decision. To be honest I assumed the book was about somebody else as I did a book launch some time ago about the city fishermen.

“I only realised the book was on Sean South when my diary was being checked and somebody got in touch with my office. I don’t think it appropriate for me to be launching a book on Sean South.

“We are trying to bring peace in the North,” he said.

Mr O’Dea said his decision to withdraw from launching the book was no slight on the South family.

“Ger South (brother of Sean South) and Owen South (nephew) are people I know very well. They are fine decent people. If I had realised at the beginning, I would not have agreed to launch the book in the first place,” he said.

“I regret any inconvenience by initially accepting the invitation. I did not take the time to find out what the book was about. It was a genuine mistake and it would have been worse if I went in and did it.”

Last year, Mr O’Dea was heavily criticised after posing with a gun following gangland shootings that left three men dead.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Any time more than 3 people gather in Limerick, Willie seems to end up joining them - the man is a robot. I'm not surprised he accepted originally without thinking, I don't know where he gets the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

My poor attempt at a bit of humour:
    O' Dea: "Sean South from Garryowen??? Jesus I don't have a clue who that is, but this launch is in a pub in Limerick, so free drink and a few potential votes in the one place? I'm there"

McDowell to Bertie "Hey Bertie whats the story with Tashy going to that IRA fella's launch in Limerick, I can't bash it if Tashy is there"

Bertie to O'Dea "Hey Tashy whats the story with this book launch in Lmerick? You know the book is about some RA fella?"

O'Dea " RA fella??? Jesus are you sure"

Bertie "Yea remember last Easter when we had that party and Mary Coughlan started singing that song and we all joined in but McDowell went mad".

O'Dea "Jesus yea that was mad"

Bertie "Well the book is about that guy in the song"

O'Dea "So I can't go then"

Bertie "No Willie you can't go"

Sorry :o

Ra book. Rugby bar. Sounds like hell on earth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Erin Go Brath

irish1 wrote:
    My poor attempt at a bit of humour:

Sorry :o

LOL ........... Tashy is one is a million alright. He must have gotten confused with another Sean South from Garryowen. Theres loads of them down there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

irish1 wrote:
    O' Dea: "Sean South from Garryowen??? Jesus I don't have a clue who that is, but this launch is in a pub in Limerick, so free drink and a few potential votes in the one place? I'm there"

McDowell to Bertie "Hey Bertie whats the story with Tashy going to that IRA fella's launch in Limerick, I can't bash it if Tashy is there"

Bertie to O'Dea "Hey Tashy whats the story with this book launch in Lmerick? You know the book is about some RA fella?"

O'Dea " RA fella??? Jesus are you sure"

Bertie "Yea remember last Easter when we had that party and Mary Coughlan started singing that song and we all joined in but McDowell went mad".

O'Dea "Jesus yea that was mad"

Bertie "Well the book is about that guy in the song"

O'Dea "So I can't go then"

Bertie "No Willie you can't go"

Absolutely brilliant - Willie would love that, but Bertie would be rolling in the aisles. Seriously;)
    He must have gotten confused with another Sean South from Garryowen. Theres loads of them down there.

Seán Sabht wasn't actually from Garryowen is the best part of it all, he was from Henry St. IIRC

• Advertisement
Advertisement