Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plumbing: motorised valve query

Options
  • 16-11-2006 9:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know where I could get the electric motor part of a Myson MPE 222 motorised valve as one of the ones in the house is buggered?

When switched on it just gives that hum of an electric motor which is trying to start but unable to turn. I took off the motor part last night and have verified that the valve itself turns freely (and as a result finally got some heat upstairs).

I'm based in the Park West/Clondalkin area.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Had to replace one myself about a year ago and got it from Heat Merchants http://www.heatmerchants.ie

Did a quick search for 'Myson' + 'Valve' and they have 2 or 3 different types.

They have quite a few outlets so there should be one near you.

/EDIT Actually, this would probably be your nearest:
    Opening Times:

Monday - Thursday: 7.45am - 5.30pm
    Friday: 7.45am - 4.30pm
    Saturday: 9.00am - 1.00pm
    Lunch: 1.00pm - 2.00pm
    Open through lunch
    Address:

Unit B, Fonthill Ind Est
    Fonthill Road
    Dublin 22
    Contact Details:

T: 01-6304306
    F: 01-6304307

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭towbar

Sorry to jump in on your thread but have a motorised valve query. I am using a motorised valve and float switch the control the level of a water tank which supplies the house. The problem is that I have tried two valves so far and even when closed they seem to dribble a bit.

I am not using a ball cock as I want the well pump to run as easily as possible with no flow restriction for as long as possible. The first valve had a ball arrangement which pushed a rubber ball into the water flow and it was held with a spring but when the drinking water tap triggered the well pump it was enough to force the ball back for a few seconds and release some water - this would set off an oscillation where well pump would fire repeatedly as water escaped past the valve. I did consider reversing this valve so the water pressure would be against the flow but didnt try this in the end as the flow direction is clearly marked on the valve.

The second valve properly closes the valve with a rotating 'thing' inside. It seems to leak a very small dribble of water constantly but enough to cause the well pump to fire about every 15-20 minutes.

These are all standard heating motorised valves - do I need something better? I know in a heating system the pressure on both sides of the valve would be the same, in this case obviousily water pressure is only on one side

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭TKK

Cheers for that delly.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

TKK wrote:
    Cheers for that delly.
    No problem :)

@towbar

Sorry, but thats definitely beyond my knowledge, but i'm sure some of the regulars will be able to give a response.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Hoagy

towbar wrote:

These are all standard heating motorised valves - do I need something better? I know in a heating system the pressure on both sides of the valve would be the same, in this case obviousily water pressure is only on one side

Thanks.

I think you need a bronze solenoid valve rather than a motorised valve.
    This will stop the flow completely.
    Heating valves are not suitable for fresh water anyway.
    I'm sure most plumbing merchants will get you a solenoid valve.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that - just took a quick look on heatmerchants. 3/4" solenoid valve €260 + vat!!! Is that the going rate for these things? So much for my €50 motorised valve!! I take it the fresh water corrodes the ordinary valve?

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Hoagy

towbar wrote:
    Thanks for that - just took a quick look on heatmerchants. 3/4" solenoid valve €260 + vat!!! Is that the going rate for these things? So much for my €50 motorised valve!! I take it the fresh water corrodes the ordinary valve?

That doesn't sound right. Give Modern Plant a ring 01 4591344 and explain your application.
    Yep the fresh water will corrode heating valves. You may need to think about filtering any grit as well, to avoid blocking the solenoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mike2006

Towbar,

Go to www.radionics.ie
    See Code 257-9053
    3/4" 2 Way Solenoid Valve 240VAC = €91.50
    Suitable for 0 to 10 Bar Pressure.

Mike.

Thanks for the replies - that will work.

Advertisement