Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Static IP cannot be used by different laptops at different times

Options
  • 16-11-2006 10:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭

Hi

I just got digiweb metro ( 3mb line ). This comes with a static IP address. We are currently in the process of ordering a wifi router so have to just share the connection till then.

When one laptop connects to the internet it picks up the network details from the digiweb modem via dhcp. When this laptop disconnects and the other attempts to connect, it cannot pick up the network details. If I put the network details in, the connection still does not work. I think this is because on the first occassion it assigns a lease to the first laptop and when trying to connect the second laptop it wont as that lease is already taken.

The only method i have gotten to resolve this, is to reboot the modem and connect the laptop you want connected upon reboot.

I think this may cause problems even when I get a wireless router. Anyone got advice on this problem. I have not encountered it before when sharing a a static connection. If i just enter the details statically on both laptops would this resolve it ?? ( just thought of that now so will try that )

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭monkey24

monkey24 wrote:
    Hi

I just got digiweb metro ( 3mb line ). This comes with a static IP address. We are currently in the process of ordering a wifi router so have to just share the connection till then.

When one laptop connects to the internet it picks up the network details from the digiweb modem via dhcp. When this laptop disconnects and the other attempts to connect, it cannot pick up the network details. If I put the network details in, the connection still does not work. I think this is because on the first occassion it assigns a lease to the first laptop and when trying to connect the second laptop it wont as that lease is already taken.

The only method i have gotten to resolve this, is to reboot the modem and connect the laptop you want connected upon reboot.

I think this may cause problems even when I get a wireless router. Anyone got advice on this problem. I have not encountered it before when sharing a a static connection. If i just enter the details statically on both laptops would this resolve it ?? ( just thought of that now so will try that )

Ok i know its stupid to answer my own questions. But wasnt thinking right when i wrote that. I know this will not cause problems when i get a wifi router . And I know the problem is because its assigning the ip address against the first laptops mac address. I thought that lease would break once you disconnect the modem from the laptop but peharps it is done in a different way ( upon reboot ). Ill have to read the manual on the modem to see if this is configurable.

Well i am a great help to myself .... feeling pretty unwell with flu so think that is clouding my thoughts ..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Conar

Seems a bit odd that it would have a DHCP server with a scope for 1 address.
    A DHCP lease will last for a set period (24hr/72hr) but you should really be able to assign more than 1 ip address.
    Check the modem manual me thinks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

The modem is assigning a public IP address in the OP's case whatever his static IP is. The modem also caches the MAC address of the 1st laptop so this is probably why when he plugs this one out and plugs the other one in the modem isn't assigning an IP address to it.

Had the same problem myself when I first got Metro. Get yourself a wireless router or something and that'll solve the problem.

Cheers
    Rory

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

It sounds like the Modem is locked onto the MAC address of one of the laptops... the first time i saw this was in the early cable modems, it was meant to prevent you adding a router and sharing the connection... :mad:

Luckily most routers now can "clone" the MAC address of the PC that was originally configured with the modem. The router then sets this "cloned" MAC as the MAC address for it's WAN interface, and the modem is happy. :D

I know for sure that all the linksys routers have the "clone" MAC address feature.

You could also try change the MAC address of the Laptop that isn't working as a test, set it to the MAC of the latop that is working with the router. I can't remember if you can do this easily in XP. it's usally stored in EEPROM in the Network interface card. 3Com used to have a little utility that allowed you to play with the MAC address on their interfaces.

Hope this helps...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭JohnnieM

Currently you can only authenticate one mac address .What you need is a wan router (get one with wi fi)... Input your static ip sub net mask agteway etc etc and set it to dhcp then you can have couple a hundred pc behind it

• Advertisement
Advertisement