Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Money refunded to Laser card but not showing up?

Options
  • 16-11-2006 12:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys,
    On the 28th Oct I stayed in a hotel and paid 88euro by laser card. There was a spate of problems with the hotel so the manager agreed to a refund. The money was refunded to my laser card and I got a receipt. I read it and all seemed in order. I of course kept the receipt for evidence.

Last week I went to check my balance and still no sign of the refund, but the initial payment to the hotel was there. It is now almost 3 weeks later and I have still not been refunded. I contacted the bank and they said there is nothing that they can do. To make matters worse, I have lost the receipt (typical)

Has this ever happened to anyone? If the refund was going to come through, it would surely have come through by now? It's almost been 3 weeks. Should I contact the hotel? Where would I start off, as I have no reference number of the laser transaction

Any help much appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭motormouthmable

in most cases the money is credited to your balance but the transaction itself will appear a few days later

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭paconnors

Laser is treated as cash, you should have got a cash refund

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

paconnors wrote:

Being the dummy that I am I agreed to have it refunded to my laser card.. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭haz

JohnCleary wrote:
    Being the dummy that I am I agreed to have it refunded to my laser card.. :(

From my own experience, that is exactly what I would have done - transactions charged to a Laser card are always refunded through the Laser card and never by cash. Porbably to prevent fraud, maybe store policy. I don't know if you have a legal right to a cash refund, but I suspect that you do not.

In my own experience the transactions always appeared correctly within days.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

paconnors wrote:

Erm no it's not, the only occasion when you should be given a cash refund, is if you PAID in cash.

Imagine how f*cked up a businesses' accounts would be if people gave cash refunds for laser or credit card transactions!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

The hotel will have an end of day report for all laser / CCard tarnsactions that day. They probably have them filed in day / dtae order and it will be simple for them to check back if you give them the exact day/date the refund was made.

Call them on Monday during business hours and ask for the accounts person. - Shouldn't be much of a problem.

Laser refunds / payments appear on your account within a day of it being swiped and in many instances it is instantaneous.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Will give them a ring tomorrow evening

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

mcaul wrote:
    The hotel will have an end of day report for all laser / CCard tarnsactions that day. They probably have them filed in day / dtae order and it will be simple for them to check back if you give them the exact day/date the refund was made.

Call them on Monday during business hours and ask for the accounts person. - Shouldn't be much of a problem.

Laser refunds / payments appear on your account within a day of it being swiped and in many instances it is instantaneous.
    It depends on the hotel if they do a end of day report each day most business jus do a summery and in the travel/ hotel business only close their machines once a week. So if the hotel didnt close their machene then you wont get a refund until they do.

Advertisement