Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any point in mowing my new lawn now?

Options
  • 16-11-2006 1:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭

Hi,
    I sowed a new lawn at the end of September. I never got around ot mowing it, though I understood you should mow it when it gets to 3 or 4 inches.

Is there any point in me doing it now? I was told that after mowing it would thicken up a bit, and it is quite patchy, though there doesn't seem to be any growth now, so I'm not sure if it would be any benefit.

Also I'd be hiring out a ride-on for the job.

Should I just leave it until early Spring?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭stifz

im in the same boat.. gonna leave it till after jan/ feb or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭billy_beckham

For what its worth i wouldn't recommend using a ride-on anyway... the ground is bound to be way too soft if your lawn is that young.

I got some landscaping done during august and have used a walk behind mower for the initial few cuts (2 so far) and will not be using ride-on until groung dries out and lawn settles...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 John Cox

I mowed my garden last week end and it looks great

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Any patches will fill in with weeds probablyt, but there is not much you can do about that until your grass starts growing again.
    That said mine needs a cut every 10 days or so at the moment, I gave it some autumn feed about 5 weeks ago.

I would cut it, but not scalp it, only take about a third of the leaf off.
    Consider giving it some feed, though you have left it pretty late.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,133 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Leave it now till Spring as you will destroy your lawn. Mowing new grass now will only pull a lot of it out of the soil rather than cutting it. The grass isn't properly rooted yet

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Gareth Austin

I think really the two main factors in whether you cut it or leave it are

a. Your location, in a warm seaside location the grass will continue to grow throughout the winter time and if you were to leave it your grass would be very logn come the spring and as a result will be weekend and very yellow when you cut it. So in a warm garden you should cut it.

b. You soil condition. if your grass is very wet you will 'churn' up your garden and leave great tracks where you have driven the machine and if this was the case you would leave it well alone. If you have a hard dry site again you coudl cut away without doing any damage.

As mentioned by another reply you should only cut the very tip of the grass off at the first cut, this encourages the grass to thicken. Then over the next 3/4 cuts lower your cutting height.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Manuel

Hi,
    Thanks for the replies. I'm smack in the middle of the country in the heartland of frost, so I was lucky enough to get the lawn established before the bad frost kicked in last week. If I thought it would thicken it up I would cut a half-inch off the top, but there doesn't seem to be any more growth so I think I'll leave it til early Spring.

Thanks again.
    /M.

Advertisement