Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restricted Firearms List Drafted

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

civdef wrote:
    Oh yeah, and the 2+1 shotgun thing - are they aware just how many shotguns out there will fit into this category?
    Not sure civ, but I'm sure the ICPSA and NARGC would have mentioned it.

Kramer wrote:
    It doesn't look good for reloading either...........
    How so?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

macnas wrote:

Firearms with detachable, folding or telescopic stocks. Define detachable my stock comes off

Semi auto rimfires with capacity greater than 6 rnds. woops thats 1 gun down

Sound moderators and silencers. no. 2 gone,, what about sound suppressors

Semi Auto blank firing pistols of police/military design. What is non military non police ,,target pistols

Missiles and launchers. A Deff. of these

Grenades and bombs used in conjunction with firearms. all right point to them a grenade launcher might be difficult to give a reason for

Accelerator/sabot ammunition What are these

Ok i have ,12ft/pd air rifle left... role on world domination
    there toys in england:confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭macnas

maglite wrote:

Firearms with detachable, folding or telescopic stocks. Define detachable my stock comes off

That's what it says, detachable.
    maglite wrote:
    Semi auto rimfires with capacity greater than 6 rnds. woops thats 1 gun down

Ouch!
    maglite wrote:
    Sound moderators and silencers. no. 2 gone,, what about sound suppressors

These are defined in the preamble as any device either fitted to the muzzle of the firearm or enveloping its barrel which is designed to reduce or regulate the report of that firearm, I think that would cover suppressors too.
    maglite wrote:
    Semi Auto blank firing pistols of police/military design. What is non military non police ,,target pistols

It doesn't mention non police or non military, it restricts them if they are of a police/military design.
    maglite wrote:
    Missiles and launchers. A Deff. of these

It states, Ammunition for Explosive military missiles and launchers.
    maglite wrote:
    Grenades and bombs used in conjunction with firearms. all right point to them a grenade launcher might be difficult to give a reason for

What about a collector, many countries allow collectors to own these types of firearms.
    maglite wrote:
    Accelerator/sabot ammunition What are these

I don't know either.

maglite wrote:
    Ok i have ,12ft/pd air rifle left... role on world domination
    there toys in england:confused::confused:

I have a pogo stick and a staplegun left, together we can rule the world:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

Sabot/accelerator ammo.

http://www.loadammo.com/Topics/March02.htm

"Remington has been producing sporting ammunition loaded with .30 caliber sabots (containing .224, 55-gr. bullets) for the .30-06, .308 Winchester and .30-30 for several years. They named this sabot-loaded ammunition "Accelerators." This was an appropriate name, since this ammunition produced velocities two to three times the normal velocity obtained from bullet-loaded ammunition for these calibers. Remington reported a muzzle velocity of 4,080 fps for the .30-06, 3,770 fps for the .308 and 3,400 fps for the .30-30. The idea behind the "Accelerator" was to provide the hunter a practical means of taking small game with a large caliber rifle, without destroying all the eatable meat. In effect, the hunter was using high-speed .22 caliber bullets, fired from a standard .30 caliber rifle. This worked particularly well when the hunter wanted to carry just one rifle. By carrying both .30 caliber ammunition and sabot-loaded ammunition, the hunter had the equivalent of two guns-in-one."

"
    The idea of handloading ammunition with sabots offers many exciting possibilities that can't be achieved with bullet-loaded ammunition. The muzzle velocity of the bullet is substantially increased due it’s light weight, as compared to normal weight bullets, and less drag presented by the sabot during travel down the barrel. Barrel life is greatly enhanced as the sabot resin material has less frictional wear against the rifling. Also the barrel rifling does not have a build up of copper or lead residues from bullets. Since the bullet is incased in the sabot, while traveling down the rifle barrel, it never touches the barrel. This means the bullet can be made entirely of soft material (or very hard material) and still be fired at high velocity with none of the usual barrel problems associated with using soft or very hard bullets materials at elevated velocity."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Does anyone have the Email addy and the postal address for the Letter above?
    I assume it is going directly to Herr McDowell?

CJhaughey wrote:
    Does anyone have the Email addy and the postal address for the Letter above?
    I assume it is going directly to Herr McDowell?
    Send your letters to:
    Firearms & Explosives Section
    Dept. of Justice, Equality and Law Reform
    94, St. Stephen's Green
    Dublin 2

Fax: 01 6028374

Emails to :
    Firearms_INBOX@justice.ie

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

IDF and Mossad are very fond of .22lr shouldn't it be classed as military?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

Rew, every gun you own will be restricted! 4 of mine will be.

How does everyone else stack up?

This could be very inconvenient.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

civdef wrote:

I have a beretta Xtremea 2, Tikka T3 in .223 and a logun mkII pro 12ft/lb air rifle

1 out of 3 restricted

What does this mean for those of us with these restricted firearms. Assume everything on the current draft gets restricted does that mean the commisioner has to approve each one of our current licenses???

• Advertisement

Is that not two? - "military calibre" rifle and presume the Xtrema has a bigger than 2 shot mag?

Vegeta wrote:
    What does this mean for those of us with these restricted firearms. Assume everything on the current draft gets restricted does that mean the commisioner has to approve each one of our current licenses???
    Yes. Though obviously in practise it would be a designated garda or gardai operating in his name. But it also means that you could/would have additional preconditions to getting your licence above and beyond those in section four of the firearms act, and there is no legislation limiting those in number or severity nor is there any reason why there can't be preconditions issued on a personal basis. To use the Minister's example from the debates in the Dail on this, if you lived near a criminal suspect, you would have to meet a higher standard than if you didn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

civdef wrote:

I figure most of mine would be too, one of them in particular under several headings :rolleyes:

That's why I specifically added "Finally, what are the Department's intentions with regard to currently licensed firearms which appear in the final restricted list?" to the letter I sent to the DOJ.
    I await a reply with bated breath.

Added a poll so we can see how many people have sent letters to the DoJ, even if they don't wish to post in this thread.

I'll get to keep my 687, that's it, four others restricted.

Macnas, just to clarify, restricted doesn't necessarily mean banned, we just need to see what the conditions for licencing and keeping them will be like before deciding any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭sidneyreilly

ALL:mad:

civdef wrote:
    Macnas, just to clarify, restricted doesn't necessarily mean banned, we just need to see what the conditions for licencing and keeping them will be like before deciding any more.

I'm not as familiar as some may be with the new legislation but is there provision for prohibiting/banning certain firearms or will restricting them be enough?

macnas wrote:
    I'm not as familiar as some may be with the new legislation but is there provision for prohibiting/banning certain firearms
    Nope.
    or will restricting them be enough?
    Depends on what they want to do, and how much you can afford to put into the sport I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Terrier

Is there any completion date for this list? Surely the DOJ must have given the appropriate shooting bodies notice of when responses need to be submitted?

(3 out of 4 on the list)

• Advertisement

civdef wrote:

Very indeed....

Really annoys me id nearly imigrate to a decent bloody county!!

Are they going to compensate us if they wont re-licence them thats the real question? Are they going to comensate me for my expensive scope and rifle case that are band spanking new....

Terrier wrote:
    Is there any completion date for this list? Surely the DOJ must have given the appropriate shooting bodies notice of when responses need to be submitted?
    Taking the NTSA as an appropriate shooting body (which it is); no, not yet.
    Which isn't to say we were refused on applying to be heard, you understand.

Rew wrote:
    Are they going to compensate us if they wont re-licence them thats the real question?
    Just because your licence is no reissued does not mean you no longer own the firearm Rew. So if the licence is not reissued, why would they need to compensate you? You've lost no monetary amount, you can still sell the firearm abroad...

Wasn't therea provision to compensate people who's firearms were previously licenced but now cannot be due to chages in the legislation?

I haven't time to check now, but I remember something to this effect being mentioned.

Sparks wrote:
    Just because your licence is no reissued does not mean you no longer own the firearm Rew. So if the licence is not reissued, why would they need to compensate you? You've lost no monetary amount, you can still sell the firearm abroad...

I bought my rifle with the intension of keeping it for a long time and hence put alot of money in to it. I wont recoup that selling it.

Not sure if that would carry much weight in court there Rew. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

where can lay people find out about this
    say the carmer with a semi .22 with a folding stoch and silencer to kill fox and rabbit

who will tell him the guard when he renews it

maglite wrote:
    where can lay people find out about this
    say the carmer with a semi .22 with a folding stoch and silencer to kill fox and rabbit
    who will tell him the guard when he renews it
    Yup.

Would be very interesting to hear if there's any feeling that the Dept are listening to suggestions from the various organisations on this. Personally I think individual submissions will have little or no effect compared to whatever the representative orgs can achieve.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

If youre e-mailing to the address above, put a read receipt on the mail, that way youll find out if its even opened.

Advertisement