Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommendations for Attic Insulation

Options
  • 16-11-2006 1:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

Hi,

Can anyone recommend a company that installs Attic Insulation?

Cheers,

M

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭bowsie casey

It's pretty easy to do yourself. I'm not Mr DIY but did my own house, and am currently half way through re-doing my parents house.

You just have to cut it and lay it down.....

mwalshe wrote:
    Hi,

Can anyone recommend a company that installs Attic Insulation?

Cheers,

M

Yes, simple to do but a bit dirty and itchy if you dont wear the correct clothing, long sleeved shirt, gloves etc.
    The hardest part is getting the rolls of insulation through the hatch

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Patrickof

Am looking at topping up our own attic insulation but half the attic space is floored and the other half is cluttered with boxes etc.

Is there any advantage to putting a layer of insulation against the underside of the roofing rather than on between the ceiling joists? It should be easy enough to hold in place with short battens. And wouldn't it have the added advantage of keeping the water tank that little bit warmer??

Or am I missing something here and will just have to move the boxes and lift the sheet flooring?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭starman100

I have the same problem i.e. middle section of attic floored with ply and loads of boxes elsewhere.

I am going to shift half the boxes, lay 4-6" of rockwool transverse to the joists (over the existing plywood flooring as well), then put down some new 4" battens over the existing floor and put down a few more sheets of ply.

Taking up the existing floor would be a real pain and probably do more harm than good.

I can then move the remaining boxes back onto the new flooring temporarily which will allow me to do the rest of the attic.

I wouldn't recommend placing insulation between the roof joists as you need to allow air circulation beneath the roof felt / membrane (or else you'll have condensation problems). Remember you want to keep the heat below the attic in the living areas - you can insulate around your water tank for any cold weather and leave the attic light on for a bit of heat.

One other thing I might do is close off one or two of the roof vents - we are very exposed to the wind and when it gets up, the felt starts flapping like mad inside the attic and the heat is drawn out of the house. Two roof vents should be sufficent and anyhow there's plenty of ventilation coming in through the soffit.

Advertisement