Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Li-brrrr-y !

Options
  • 16-11-2006 2:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭

Alright, who do I go to about turning up the heating in the Library? I'm wearing jeans, a long sleeve top and a hoodie and I'm freezin!

Or is it just me? :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Go to the laptop area. the heat from all the laptops will warm you up nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭abelard

No it's definitely not just you. I know that the law section, at the very least, is quite often freezing. Maybe those big windows looking onto the lake are poorly insulated or something.

As to who to go to for heating, I don't really know I'm afraid. You could always burn a book or two.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭elmyra

I'm in the laptop area. I keep putting my hands underneath my laptop to warm them up..people are lookin' at me weird...though the girl two down has adopted the idea.

/trendsetter

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

try moving to somewhere else. i'm down to my t-shirt and i'm still on the warm side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Font22

its always freezing when i go into the lib, the higher floors are also hotter but i go to the law section. arm yourself with about 5 hoodies and u'll be grand, thats what i did last xmas!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

I'm up on the top floor and it's quite warm, maybe all the heat is rising up here:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Vainglory

It is FREEZING in the library...my little srón nearly fell off last week.

But...why are you in the library.. :( please tell me it's essays rather than actual studying or I'll be forced to kill you to make myself feel less guilty.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

I'm in the library now. It's grand.
    /Boos Elmyra for being so temperature sensitive.

Don't be worrying, I'm still doing the essays that are due tomorrow. All feckin' 3 of them! Study doesn't even come into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭themole

Women do often feel colder :)

Most big old buildings like the library will have problems with heat circulation.

Having said that when i come to keeping the mind active its better to be too cold than too hot, less chance of falling asleep.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

It was so hot in the library today [I was beside her briefly] and it wasn't just because of the new librocop who is a beaut:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

If you look through the library comment book though you will see all the people complaining of the library being too hot. Theres at leat one complaint about overheating every day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

Anyway I don't think its going to be resolved any time soon so don't forget to have a bottle of water.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

Chakar wrote:
    so don't forget to have a bottle of water.
    Huh?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Dehydration because of the air-con, I would think.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

An objective viewpoint from the BMS:

http://bms.ucd.ie/areas/libbuilding/energy/heat.php

A seriously cool piece of kit, you can see how warm the lecture hall is before you go in, or before you even get out of bed!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

i was in a lecture 2 weeks ago and I **** you not it was so cold you could see the condensation when people spoke. Obviously I being a serious student weathered it out :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

ET is currently rather drafty I must say - or else it's where I'm sitting - I'm getting a vertical shaft of cold air hitting me - i'm none too impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

3rd year lab is always warm. Therefore all is ok for me. :)

(apart from the fact we get kicked out at 6.30pm! /me wants longer lab opening hours)

the science building's heaters never used to work. eng is great, nowhere's ever really that cold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

Red Alert wrote:
    An objective viewpoint from the BMS:

http://bms.ucd.ie/areas/libbuilding/energy/heat.php

A seriously cool piece of kit, you can see how warm the lecture hall is before you go in, or before you even get out of bed!

Funny how arts cafe is called Finegans Break still on it, old skewl

Also, why are buildings that are locked up for the night so warm atm. I know daylight savings and all that but they're not that well insulated!

Red Alert wrote:
    the science building's heaters never used to work. eng is great, nowhere's ever really that cold.
    Actually ya, Professor/Dr/whatever them call themselves Mulkeen said the other day that the electricity supply that the eng block gets is from a seperate source to the rest of the college-does that include our heating? (I feel kinda stupid for asking :o )
    Oh and around 100,000V available in a place that the electricals use :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭dirtydress

Absolutely right! Its so damn cold in there, actually unbearable at times and I just have to go home, its just not right. Maybe put a suggestion in the book? Not sure how much good it'll do thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Miss GAAfia

Head upstairs to the laptop area. Rooooooastin'. All those Ag boys heat up the joint.

Top floor really is roasting. You'd be in a t-shirt and still be warm. Makes you really sleepy snoozy snooz

The Eng Block is on a different electrical feed I heard one time too, don't know much else about it.

The heat is different too. Eng Building's heat comes from three big natural gas boilers downstairs, with the three chimney stacks which you can see in the middle of the building.

Red Alert wrote:
    The Eng Block is on a different electrical feed I heard one time too, don't know much else about it.

The heat is different too. Eng Building's heat comes from three big natural gas boilers downstairs, with the three chimney stacks which you can see in the middle of the building.
    I knew you if anyone would know :D

Class tho I was in one of the locked lecture rooms today and it was kinda cold

gubbie wrote:
    Top floor really is roasting. You'd be in a t-shirt and still be warm. Makes you really sleepy snoozy snooz

But I can't go to the top floor. :(

Have never been beyond the second floor of the library due to fear of escalators, lack of stairs and guilt of using lifts that are meant for people who need them. I live in the laptop section....I just also find that cold. Meh, maybe it's just me.

Advertisement