Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish football this weekend (17-18 Nov 2006)

• 16-11-2006 2:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭

Eircom League Premier Division
    17 November 2006
    Bray Wanderers - Sligo Rovers 7:45
    Derry City - Cork City 7:45
    Drogheda United - Waterford United 7:45
    Longford Town - St Patrick's Athletic 7:45
    Shelbourne - Bohemians 7:45 :cool:

First Division
    18 November 2006
    Cobh Ramblers - Shamrock Rovers 7:30
    Limerick FC - Athlone Town 7:30
    Finn Harps - Dundalk 7:30
    Kilkenny City - Galway United 7:30
    Monaghan United - Kildare County 7:30

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Massive game for Dundalk on Saturday night. Assuming Galway beat bottom of the table Kilkenny then Dundalk must win away to Finn Harps to stay in 2nd place and enter the playoff against Waterford.

Going to Donegal is never easy for Dundalk sides. Think we've only one once in the past 3 or 4 years. However that once was last time out so hopefully the boys can repeat the feat. COME ON D'TOWN!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

^ What playoff?

As for the prem games, well I cant see Shels not beating Bohs. I would be really appreciative if Waterford could beat Drogs, but we all know that aint going to happen.

I think we will beat Derry anyway tomorrow night, basically to gift Shels the title. Whether we will beat them by the 2 goals required to secure 2nd spot remains to be seen.

Bring on next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

gimmick wrote:
    As for the prem games, well I cant see Shels not beating Bohs. I would be really appreciative if Waterford could beat Drogs, but we all know that aint going to happen.

Stranger things have happened. I'm so nervous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

gimmick wrote:
    ^ What playoff?

I think we will beat Derry anyway tomorrow night, basically to gift Shels the title. Whether we will beat them by the 2 goals required to secure 2nd spot remains to be seen.

Bring on next season.
    big game for the Dundalk and yes there is now a playoff (i think the FAI havent a clue whats going on)
    never mind second place if rovers get beat and we win by approx 25 goals then we can still win the league......:D

ot: Did not have "the pighead" down as a fellow town man?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

gimmick wrote:
    I cant see Shels not beating Bohs.
    Good. Keep it that way - you're in good company, with most Shels fans and most Bohs fans.
    But you never know, IMJH. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Does this whole playoff talk mean that there's not gonna be a FAI premiership next season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Voltwad wrote:
    Does this whole playoff talk mean that there's not gonna be a FAI premiership next season?
    Nope the FAI will ultimately decide which teams will make up next years Premier Division. The playoff result will merely help the winners case in putting forward their package as contenders. It is conceivable that Dundalk could finish 2nd, beat Waterford in a playoff and still not get promoted.

The FAI will decide who goes up based on Club Set Up, 5 year performance, fanbase etc. Pretty shoddy state of affairs to be honest. Expect all hell to break loose if Dundalk beat Waterford in a play off and the FAI decide Galway are a more suitable candidate.

Im kind of depressed today that there will be new league champions crowned tonight. I am really depressed that we left this title behind us. And I will be totally depressed if we finsih 4th, behind Drogheda.

Thinking back to this day last year, I just so wish it was going to be the same today. Being in the Horseshoe at 4.30pm, the place was jammers with both Deery and City fans. Everyone knew their team was going to do the necessary that evening. I remember looking around, the tension was palpable and thinking "in a few short hours, the world will have ended for half these people". Thankfully it was us. What a night, a night that i doubt will ever be matched in Turners Cross, or anywhere. Last day decider, cup final athmosphere. All for one and one for all.

Bah.

I wish everyone the best, and whoever wins it, enjoy it. It will be coming back south this time next year. or maybe there will be an 11 goal swing tonight, and we win.

It seems Jason McGuinness, of all people, is to be played as a striker against Shels -- because we've no one else. God, it'd be great if he scored. :D
    Also, I see that Alan Kelly, of all people, is to ref. Who on earth made that decision?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Well I came to work this morning, but I'm not doing anything because of the nerves.

Bohs will be out to ruin our dreams, of that I'm sure, but as Nutsy said, if we don't beat a Bohs team that is third last in the table then we don't deserve it.

It's a perfect situation in the Brandywell for us, Cork City needing the win to get second place, and Derry on a somewhat dodgy run of form at the moment.

I'm making no assumptions about the results, and I doubt the 'party atmosphere' will be around Tolka Park tonight even if we do win it.

If we don't win it I'd say Oliver will be in the Four Courts first thing Monday morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Pighead wrote:
    Massive game for Dundalk on Saturday night. Assuming Galway beat bottom of the table Kilkenny then Dundalk must win away to Finn Harps to stay in 2nd place and enter the playoff against Waterford.

Going to Donegal is never easy for Dundalk sides. Think we've only one once in the past 3 or 4 years. However that once was last time out so hopefully the boys can repeat the feat. COME ON D'TOWN!

Yeah c'mon d'town is right... It'd be great to see the lillywhites back up where they belong..

Haven't been able to get to Oriel park since i left college there a few years ago, hopefully when they get back up to the prem i can see them in Dublin a good few times per season...

Hope Derry lift the title this evening as well....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I would just like to say a big Good Luck to Cork City this for the match this evening :D

The nerves are jangling big time now.

COME ON SHELS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Video machine set - Check
    Camera batteries charged - Check
    Shels jersey perfectly clean - Check
    Wallet/Keys - Check

Now all I'm waiting for is the train!

seansouth wrote:
    If we don't win it I'd say Oliver will be in the Four Courts first thing Monday morning.
    You'd think he'd have some pride.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

11 mins gone Derry are champions atm

Derry City 1-0 Cork City 7.45
    Farren 11
    Drogheda United 0-0 Waterford Utd 7.45

Longford Town 0-0 St Pat's Ath 7.45

Shelbourne 0-0 Bohemians * 7.45

How many times that change in next 75?

kdjac

Shelbourne 0-1 Bohemians * 7.45
    Ferguson 15

Advantage Derry, still loads left.

Say its horrible being a shels fan now.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Do shels need a win or draw here ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

Shels need a win, come on the BOHS

zabbo wrote:
    Do shels need a win or draw here ?

Just need to better Derrys result, level points shels 13 goals ahead.

peno to shels hwen bohs should have had one.

kdjac

1-1

Bohs shoulda had a peno.

kdjac

• Advertisement

Kelly is ref are ya surprised?

ffs

2-1

Bohs getting ridden rock solid, that was never a free ffs

kdjac

KdjaCL wrote:
    2-1

Bohs getting ridden rock solid, that was never a free ffs

kdjac

two words...alan kelly

Good stuff, this will end up 6-5

zabbo wrote:
    Good stuff, this will end up 6-5

No bohs are ****, it will probably end up 6-1

kdjac

Gotcha, the guy who's commentating is fairly annoying, not the main guy, the 'say what you see' guy.

..and thats what wins games...goals.

Bray Wanderers 1-1 Sligo Rovers RES
    Georgescu 22 Burns 56
    Aisien s/o 39

Derry City 1-0 Cork City RES
    Farren 11

Drogheda United 1-0 Waterford Utd RES
    O'Brien 59

Longford Town 0-0 St Pat's Ath RES
    Baker s/o 66 Maguire s/o 79

Shelbourne 2-1 Bohemians RES
    S Byrne 23 pen Ferguson 15
    Crowe 29
    Baker s/o 89

Roll on the cup final.......

kdjac

4th. Cant believe it. We need Derry to win the cup now to get Inter farking Toto, and Setanta (I think).

As an eL supporter, it doesnt really get worse than last night for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

I heard there was fighting at the Derry game, Cork fans fighting each other after some of them applauded the Derry goal. 2 coachloads, a very very long journey, a bit of drink taken...:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Galway or Dundalk for the play-off against Waterford, but is it meaningless?
    Dundalk should take it, and they have a better footballing record over the past few seasons, but Galway have a better off the field record which makes up 50% of the criteria for next year's premiership.
    anyone got any idea is either, none or both will make it?:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

The playoff is more or less to decide which teams are ranked 12th and 13th for next season. Waterford are probably ranked 10th, Rovers would logically be 11th, but if Dundalk win the playoff against Waterford they could clinch 12th ahead of Bray or UCD.

Advertisement