Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Psychology. ICS or OU?

Options
  • 16-11-2006 2:30pm
    Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭

Im hoping to start a distance learning degree in psychology. At the moment Im looking at degree courses offered by the Open University and ICS. Ive worked with the OU before, so I know their courses are very good, and accreditation wont be a problem. The ICS are an unknown quantity to me, but their course sounds like what I want, and with no fixed deadlines I can work it into my life better, its accredited by East London University. It will cost about the same with both (the bones of 8 grand sterling).

I wondered has anyone studied psychology with either of these, or have an opinion on either of them? Or even is there anywhere in Ireland I could study for a similar qualificatin via distance learning?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

http://www.oscail.ie/ba.php - also might be worth looking at.

http://www.icslearn.co.uk/distance-learning-degree/psychology/psychology-degree/
    Is the ics course?
    Is it bps and psi approved?
    Maybe contact east london uni with questions you have?

The ou one is on both counts.

Take a look at -
    http://www.londonexternal.ac.uk/ as well

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Also, in terms of ratings (student satisfaction and quality of courses), the OU generally tends to get fairly good ratings. UEL not so much. It came 93rd out of 109 in the Times Good University guide :D

Oscail, as Moonbeam pointed out, is another (Irish based) option, though some on these boards have had bad experiences with them. University of London external is also another option

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Thanks a mill for the replies, Ill check out those links. I was really stabbing in the dark here with regard to which way to go. The impression I got of ICS was that it was fine for 'hobby' learning, but not for accredited qualifications. Even though my intention is not to become a psychologist, Im simply interested in the subject, but If Im going to do the work, Id like to have something real at the end of it. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 condor

I had exactly the same problem. I was looking for a distance course in psychology.
    Oscail says the are DCU acclaimed. Is that good or bad. I mean, if I put all the effort into it -will I be able to work in that field with a degree from Oscail?

Does anyone know anything about Canyon College?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

DCU = Dublin City University. You study with Oscail, you get your degree from one of the big Irish universities, so yeah, it's good.

As for Canyon College..read http://chronicle.com/free/v51/i14/14a02901.htm and http://www.osac.state.or.us/oda/unaccredited.html where it's also listed. An unaccredited university degree from a US "college" isn't worth the paper it's printed on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

I wouldn't go near the ICS. I've been studying psychology with the OU for a few years now and they're fantastic. They've been doing distance degrees for about 30 years so they really know what they're doing and they're the number one rated university for student satisfaction, and in the top 5 for teaching quality.

The online resources are great, and I love the way you don't have to do 18 different course to get a degree part time, as with ICS and 'conventional' uni's like DBS. I only have to do 6 courses and two one week summer schools.

I don't see anything on the ICS page that indicates they're BPS accredited...
    so the degree is pretty much worthless as you won't be able to go on to postgraduate study!

Also, do ICS offer tutorials?

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Yeah, I think from whats been said here Im going to avoid ICS, but the signup date for OU has been and gone, so it will be next year. Timewise I think I was being a bit ambitious this year (full time job, two small kids) so will probably catch the next course start. Etho, did you do the Cert in Social studies with OU, because thats where I would be starting, and I wanted to know what that course is like.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

KatieK wrote:
    Yeah, I think from whats been said here Im going to avoid ICS, but the signup date for OU has been and gone, so it will be next year. Timewise I think I was being a bit ambitious this year (full time job, two small kids) so will probably catch the next course start. Etho, did you do the Cert in Social studies with OU, because thats where I would be starting, and I wanted to know what that course is like.

Yep DD100 was the first course I did, it's grand, not 'easy' but not too taxing.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Surion

Hi guys!!
    I'm in final year of Bsc Psych with the OU, wouldn't really rate anyone higher than them tbh! But I think you said you already had experience of them yourself.
    In terms of missing the deadline - maybe not! You know you have to study 360 points of courses right? Well sit down and add up your compulsory courses (5 courses X 60 points = 300) and you have 60 points to play with...I use French for work...so I took beginners French as a no hassle course to make up 30 points on my own list. Worked well...you could do something similar and start in feb which I believe is the next round of start dates!
    Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 jasonos

eth0 could u give us a rough estimation on how long and how much the whole process was from start right up to getting your degree

• Advertisement
Advertisement