Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Minimum shooting distance for hot weapons?

• 16-11-2006 5:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 234 ✭✭

Just thought I'd post this, as its in all our interest.

At the moment there is a post on ASI about minimum shooting distances, mainly for upgraded weapons.

http://www.airsoftireland.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=5303

Don't know what all your thoughts are on this, but have a look at a few pics in the thread.
    I saw that there are some people here with upgraded weapons now/soon and some softers are fairly young.
    I'm a bit worried myself as it is usually not advised to get an upgraded gun as a first.
    Ah well, you'll know what I mean when you get hit at close range with one.

So, what are all your thoughts on this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭[--SC(+)PE--]

Well i dont think their is many "hot guns" around the republic yet. Afew off the 1 joule Aegs/rifles might peak a little over 1 joule allright. But certainly we havnt got any 500fps bolt actions 2 worry about .I for 1 woudnt dream off sniping some1 at 5 metres anyways even though its at 1 joule. But ya i think thease minimum engagement distances are a must should we actually including guns above 1 joule [hopefully we will eventually]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭N.O.I.P.

Well im all for minimum shooting distances, having test fired my guns on my arm point blank (a moment of insanity) I can tell you I have no desire to have it happen again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 969 ✭✭✭MaxForce

Hi All,

I placed a reply see below.

Hi all, got to say I agree with all this from a safety outlook. Weapons over 1J are classed as a fire arm in the South and as such should not be allowed on the field of play. They are a firearm, are illegal by law and should be treated as such. All weapons should be chronographed before starting. Repeat offenders found with illegal weapons should receive a ban. BB's hurt, if they did not there would be no incentive to try and stay out of their way. Head shots are dangerous and as such should not be allowed. Or at least if you are aiming at someone with minimal protection you should make the concise decision not to take a head shot. I know there should be an air of realism here but to be honest it is either take a safe shot or have everyone ware full head gear when on the field of play. Sportsmanship would play a big part in this.

Azrael there are already people skirmishing with illegal weapons up in the North as is evident from the start of this thread. This is why these weapons should be banned from the field of play in total regardless of weather they are from the North or South. Even in the hands of a competent person accidents can happen.

When I say illegal I mean guns firing over 1J

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,265 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

im totally against aegs over 1j. legal or not. hell, im even against aegs shooting at around 1j. snipers i would accept shooting a bit faster, but deffinately having minimum engagement distances set up. if people dont abide by them, they get sent off the field

im totally against aegs over 1j. legal or not. hell, im even against aegs shooting at around 1j. snipers i would accept shooting a bit faster, but deffinately having minimum engagement distances set up. if people dont abide by them, they get sent off the field
    i second that. Id love nothing more than to have a rifle shooting accurately at 60/70 metres and would happily pay 40e a year on a license for 1 and abide to minimum distance rules,sure why else would i be carrying so many sidearms :) .
    still doesnt look 2 realistic for a while anyway :(

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

could have hunt the sniper games. that'd be fun. although scope, i dont think ye'd last long ;)

thats just 2 funny oisin 2 funny :rolleyes: was 19-1 last time i went paintballing with a rental gun [my third time ever] and ive witnesses 2 the skeeelllz that were present [1 death i had was cos i was shot in the neck and was in so much pain i just went straight to the safe zone] :D . Still im asking alot of my shoty here against all these BB hoses your al going be packing *shudders* could ,nigh probably will go horribly wrong :o

Master of the Universe

i'll save a high cap just for you ;)

yay :D Thanks m8 ,no wait thats no good :eek:

Master of the Universe

ah no, i'm not a sadist. there's plenty in my standard 60 round mag to hose you with. any more and it'd be overkill ;)

• Advertisement

:D cant wait

Master of the Universe

as a matter of interest, if you *did* happen to have an upgraded gun, say 4 joules, what are the penalties for that? i know its minimum 10 years in prison for a standard gun with intent to endanger life. but surely they wouldnt lock you up for an airsoft gun....or would they?

the amnesty haul included 77 shotguns; 46 rifles; 46 pistols, revolvers and handguns; 69 air pistols, rifles and guns; 19 pellet guns; 13 starting pistols; 17 replica firearms; 13 crossbows; 54 various knives; 6 swords; and a single World War 1 grenade, an old Bren machine gun, a gas gun, .177 repeater, musket, theatre gun, stun gun, mace spray and humane killer.

i think someone mentioned this before, but the irony of people handing in "pellet guns" as soon as they become legal gets me every time :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭N.O.I.P.

humane killer

Uhm what the hell is Humane Killer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

N.O.I.P. wrote:
    Uhm what the hell is Humane Killer?
    A single shot pistol used by vets to put down large animals who are badly injured. It's usually a revolver with the cylinder welded to the frame and with the sights filed off.

the amnesty haul included 77 shotguns; 46 rifles; 46 pistols, revolvers and handguns; 69 air pistols, rifles and guns; 19 pellet guns; 13 starting pistols; 17 replica firearms; 13 crossbows; 54 various knives; 6 swords; and a single World War 1 grenade, an old Bren machine gun, a gas gun, .177 repeater, musket, theatre gun, stun gun, mace spray and humane killer.

a grenade and a bren lol.
    Whats the story with knives and swords anyway ? i think i read somewere if their kept in your place of residence then its ok.

Whats the story with knives and swords anyway ?
    Illegal to carry in a public place without a good reason under the 1990 offensive weapons act. Not illegal to own or to have in your own home or to use in martial arts training (which would be a public place, but with a good reason).

You have to remember, for the most part those who submitted anything under the amnesty did so because it was stuff that was lying around the house that they wanted to get rid of.

cheers sparks ,well thats ok then :) . *puts daggers and swords back were they were*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Sparks wrote:
    A single shot pistol used by vets to put down large animals who are badly injured. It's usually a revolver with the cylinder welded to the frame and with the sights filed off.
    More usually though, the term refers to a 'Captive Bolt' gun, as used in abbatoirs and slaughterhouses.

They're available in both pistol grip and straight configurations-
    12kw2.jpg
    ...and operate with either a blank cartridge or compressed air.

Master of the Universe

Sparks wrote:
    You have to remember, for the most part those who submitted anything under the amnesty did so because it was stuff that was lying around the house that they wanted to get rid of.

does that include old mattresses and patio furniture? ;)

some of the sh!t people have lying around is insane. i still cant get over that person who handed in a grenade

The grenade isn't that odd. Down the road from where I used to live in Tralee, one of the five-year-old kids was digging in the fields out the back of the houses, as kids do, and found a hand grenade. Wandered into the kitchen playing with it and then of course there was the fun game where mommy chases you round the kitchen shrieking...

Anyway. Thing was a dud dating back to the 1918 war of independence. But especially around kerry, there are still a lot of those types of things buried or whatever. If someone found one and kept it (and they've done stranger things), then this would have been the time to hand it in.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

*starts digging up his back garden*

Advertisement