Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dismantling large concrete garden shed

Options
  • 16-11-2006 5:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭

Was looking some advice before taking this on.

We've a pretty large concrete garden shed / garage that takes up lots of wasted room in the garden and is unused due to a badly leaking flat roof. Its got a concrete base as well.

Im considering a DIY project of dismantling it come spring time. If people have had experience doing this before can you please pass on.

My thoughts on an approach will involve the following in the following order:
    • disconecting the electrics safely
    • taking felted roof off ( worrying bit since felt is laid on wooden lats that have seen better days) - anyone know safest way to attempt this ?
    • knocking out one wall at a time
    • dig out base

Im not totally committed to taking this on since its a non trivial job to be done part time so any advice on alternatives (whether you got someone to do this, was the work reasonably priced, how long did it take) would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

The shed should have its own CU (fuse board) or at least its own MCB in your main CU.
    Switch this off first and consider disconnecting altogether (after you switch off the main MCB)

Without knowing how the "rafters" are fixed its hard to know what to advise, consider getting a small scaffold.
    Will be much easier and safer than a bunch of ladders.
    After that its sledge-hammer time.

I wouldnt enjoy digging out the base.
    Thats kango-hammer and a lot of hard work.
    Perhaps use it as a patio?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

Thanks for the advice.
    The scaffolding advice is something Id considered already - I replace the roof of a flat roof extension a few years back and it was a very slow process - if I can get the roof off the smashing 4 walls should be fine ... good suggestion for the base.

Does anyone know where those super small size garden diggers can be hired from ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 later

intetrested

Did a lot of site works on my renovation - first off The electrics need to be disconnected at the main fuse board in the house before you start - Live, neutral and earth to stop possible mis-trips - best to get an electrician.

In terms of the base - a kango may not be strong enough - there's a hydraulic demolition hammer powered by a portable unit called a jcb beaver that would do the job - but it's heavy. A digger with a rock breaker would certainly be less painful. The best if possible is a 3.5 ton digger. It could probably rip the roof off , tear the walls down and lift the slab to break it - i think it's the way to go if you have the access - about 7 or 8 feet .

Can't says exactly on price - depends on how they do it but if you take a digger being 150 plus per day and the operator at 200 you won't be far wrong. All things being equal a day will do a lot of the demolition and a day to remove all the rubbish

Also you have to get rid of all the waste - at 100 to 150 a ton at the dump it can be a lot plus the cost of getting it hauled away. If you can bury it on site you may be able to get rid of the subsoil from the hole easier.

seriously - consider hiring someone with a digger - the reduced amount of hire time usually pays for the wages. They'll also usually know where to get rid of the stuff and have tractor etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

Many thanks for that
    The electrics side of things isnt a problem. Electrician in family who owes me a favour. Have reasonable access via side lane on semi-d. Am also likely to need hole for foundation for replacement shed structure dug so hiring digger and a person who's done it before might make sense alright.

Advertisement