Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

prevent 100% cpu usage

• 16-11-2006 5:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭

Does anyone know of a program that can detect if a running process is using 100% cpu, and then close it?
    Something like the program 'process tamer' except this only alters the process priority rather than closing it.
    I've also tried 'watchdog-o-matic' but this catches first and second chance exception crashes but doesn't detect and kill a process using 100% cpu.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I've never heard of such a program, but it may indeed exist.

A possibility is to write a small VB script that detects such processes and ends them. Then you can add a performance alert and set up a trigger to execute the script when a process goes over a certain CPU %.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

what is the issue that you need this for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭rowan

its for a music program, with cpu-hungry vst plugin. I want to run a number of instances of the plugin. The more i add, the more cpu it eats, until at a certain point cpu hits 100% and stays there. So i'd like to have another program that detects when it gets to 100% and either closes it or somehow reduces its cpu usage. I'm on a 1.4Ghz laptop with 1gb ram. The obvious answer is get a new laptop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭rowan

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

you could use the old sysinternals pstools - now owned by microsoft

pslist app > processes to dump the tasks into a file
    sort processes /+40 > proc-s sort them by cpu ( check synthax and colum )
    you could then use pskill to nuke the one that takes up all the time

[php]
    rem pseudocode - needs major debug

for /F "tokens=1-9*" %%a in (proc-s) do call :nuke %%d %%k

:nuke
    set /p t=%%d/50 'if more than 50% of cpu then kill'
    if %p%==0 pskill %2

[/php]

what would be nice is to set a threshold on a program
    if you have a dual processor/core you could restrict that app to one cpu
    set to run in background ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

^ Would this possibly kill System Idle Process?:/ (It'd have to be set for 100% exactly...or can it be explicitly excluded?)

Advertisement