Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shelbourne's Move To Santry Dead In The Water

• 16-11-2006 5:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 426 ✭✭

Hi All,
    Just to let you know.
    It was announced at the last meeting of Dublin Athletic Board(6/11/06). That negoations between Shelbourne F.C, Fingal County Council, Athletics Ireland and Clonliffe Harriers have collasped.
    Shelbourne have pulled the plug on their proposed move to the Morton Stadium with their current finical difficulties being the belived reason.

Any question give us a shout.

Cheers
    Dave

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

The obvious next question is, what next? Croke Park?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Tallaght hopefully.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Just a thought - when Shelbourne drew with Deportivo in Landsdowne a couple of years back it looked like they were on the cusp of real success and a bright future beckoned. Bohemians were struggling at that time.

The way in which the business affairs of both clubs has gone since then it looks as if any real hope of an Irish club making it to the promised land of the Champions league group stages now lies solely with Bohs. This is despite the fact that Shels may very well get over the line this weekend.

Random observation - slate at will.

LuckyLloyd wrote:

k :)

Shels have done it on the pitch, off it has been a disaster. Bohs got a lucky deal off the pitch one which may prove that a fool and his money are easily parted or not.

Either way Bohs have about 2 years to get close to the level shels are on the pitch (altho be nice if they beat them morrow :p).

So Bohs atm have no hope off ever making the CL, hiring a manager and giving him loads of cash to spend could be a masterstoke, but didnt he need 2 games to get by Killester?

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭John_C

LuckyLloyd wrote:
    Just a thought - when Shelbourne drew with Deportivo in Landsdowne a couple of years back it looked like they were on the cusp of real success and a bright future beckoned. Bohemians were struggling at that time.

The way in which the business affairs of both clubs has gone since then it looks as if any real hope of an Irish club making it to the promised land of the Champions league group stages now lies solely with Bohs. This is despite the fact that Shels may very well get over the line this weekend.

True but Bohs' business model is basically the same as Shels', cash in the stadium and buy success. You have to look towards Cork or Derry to see sustainable improvement.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

KdjaCL wrote:
    Bohs got a lucky deal off the pitch
    Simply untrue. Bohs' current position is down to the stewardship and foresight of club leaders who could have sold out cheaply when others did so.
    The deal is no more lucky or unlucky than anyone selling a long-held property asset.

Its lucky that someone offered to pay that amount, its lucky as it was unplanned and benefited the club.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

DaveH wrote:
    Hi All,
    Just to let you know.
    It was announced at the last meeting of Dublin Athletic Board(6/11/06). That negoations between Shelbourne F.C, Fingal County Council, Athletics Ireland and Clonliffe Harriers have collasped.
    Shelbourne have pulled the plug on their proposed move to the Morton Stadium with their current finical difficulties being the belived reason.

Any question give us a shout.

Cheers
    Dave

No one has heard anything about this and i'm sure we would have heard something immediately not over a week later

Can you clarify who/where you heard this information from?

No one has heard anything about this and i'm sure we would have heard something immediately not over a week later

Daveh is part of AAI so was possibly there when this was said, who would tell you that it was dead? Ollie?????

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Obviously, as we're only going on internet rumours - nothings guaranteed. Wouldn't surprise me though :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 426 ✭✭DaveH

KdjaCL wrote:
    Daveh is part of AAI so was possibly there when this was said, who would tell you that it was dead? Ollie?????

kdjac

I can only repeat what I was told from people in athletics. I am an aai member and I am indirectly involved at that level. What I've heard is the negoations have collapsed, they believe Shelbournes current Finacal situtation is the reason.

What I do know is this,

Fingal County Council owns Santry Stadium, the rights are held by Clonliffe Harriers A.C.
    Fingal County Council want rid of the staduim, Clonliffe Harriers dont have the money to pay for this.
    Athletics Ireland do not have the money to purchase the stadium, but have purchased offices in the new development in Santry behind the stadium. Plans obivously to have their offices beside their Stadium.

If Shelbourne are to purchase the staduim the ground will have to be upgraded on 4 sides.
    Also Clonliffe Harriers have to be accomedated as their Club house is on the grounds.

Also I am a Shelbourne fan. I wouldnt spread rummors about a club I have followed since I was 8, unless I had some information on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Ollies well known for telling the fans exactly whats going on, wouldnt be surprised if they were trying to keep it quiet till after Fridays game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

KdjaCL wrote:
    k :)

Shels have done it on the pitch, off it has been a disaster. Bohs got a lucky deal off the pitch one which may prove that a fool and his money are easily parted or not.

Either way Bohs have about 2 years to get close to the level shels are on the pitch

Don't disagree that Boh's are miles off Shels in terms of the current squads. Bohs have a huge amount of work to do to get to a level where the CL is a possibillity. But money will quickly move that process along - lucky money or not.

They could p*ss it away - no doubt about that - but if there was ever an opportunity to create the oft fabled "Irish Rosenberg", it lies with Bohs now. I'm sure that all EL fans would love to see any Irish team get to the CL level. I for one hope that Bohs look to spend the money in restructuring the club from the bottom up - concentraiting on sustainable youth development and so on, working up to rebuilding the squad and putting in good facilities and backroom staff.

I'm not a Bohs fan (it may look like I am :rolleyes: ), but I would welcome any Irish clubside pushing on to a competative level in Europe.

Derry had some good results in Europe earlier this year, but I don't believe that the current squad (even with additions) is anywhere near the level required to negotiate the Third qualifying round.

Anyway - exciting weekend ahead.

Advertisement