Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scam email

Options
  • 16-11-2006 6:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭

I just got an email saying i owe money to some Kung Fo gym in Cork.I live hundreds of miles away from cork.I do not know how they got my email address.I have never heard of this place before.What should i do?
    Sorry if in wrong forum

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Ignore it completely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

just as katie said, ignore and delete, i have got two of those 'dear friend, jesus bless you, i am.....' emails in the last 3 days, they are funny to read but just discard, i am tempted to play games with one of them though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

admiralgar wrote:
    just as katie said, ignore and delete, i have got two of those 'dear friend, jesus bless you, i am.....' emails in the last 3 days, they are funny to read but just discard, i am tempted to play games with one of them though.
    But the beginning of the email this person uses my name but he may have got that from my email address.There was also a website with the email

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Dman001 wrote:
    I just got an email saying i owe money to some Kung Fo gym in Cork.I live hundreds of miles away from cork.I do not know how they got my email address.I have never heard of this place before.What should i do?
    Sorry if in wrong forum

Was the email sent in Ireland? Complain to the data protection commissioner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

If you owed them money then surely they would have had your postal address IE if you had been a member.
    As has been said if you don't know them just ignore it. The burden of proof is on them and not you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,830 ✭✭✭SeanW

Here's what I would do:

1: Tell them they have the wrong person
    2: If they reply and continue to demand money, you demand an explanation
    3: If they continue to demand money without a very good explanation, tell them where to go, in no uncertain terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,988 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Do NOT reply to them, as then they know it's a valid and active email address, which makes it valuable to other spammers

The Roman Catholic Church is beyond despicable, it laughs at us as we pay for its crimes. It cares not a jot for the lives it has ruined.

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Tarakiwa

Ninja is right ....... DO NOT REPLY!

If you want to do anything then you should go to the Data Protection Commissioner. Let him do the investigating for you .........

Before you do though ..... just check that you did not go to Cork for a boozy weekend & think that it would be a great idea to sign up to a gym .......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

Pay it. Sorry man I signed you up. Just trying to drop a subtle hint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

It most probably is a genuine error. Simply ring them up and let them know they sent an email to the wrong e-mail address. Some member had dodgy handwriting and your email was inputted.

You can check the email by right clicking on the mail in your inbox, go to properties & then click on source - you will see where the e-mail was sent from.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭parliament

Dont even bother ringing, just do what everybody else has said. An email is not a legal document, if they really want money they will eventually send a proper legal document via a solicitor, if you do get a letter in the mail, then maybe its time to contact them to find out whats going on, not before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Dear God! Ignore the dopes on this thread and delete the mail.

Delete anything thats "mass-mailed", anything thats from a finance house or bank you don't have an account with, anything fom ebay or paypal that invites you to update your account details by clicking an included link, anything that is from the Prince of Bongo-bongo land who says he needs your bank account to help him and promises to give you 5% of 100,000,000 dollars!

Delete delete delete!

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Just tell them your lawyer will be issuing a lawsuit shortly.:rolleyes:

Advertisement