Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Lovely Brick

Options
  • 16-11-2006 6:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭

:D what a title...

anyway it's my latest website. :o

tell me what you think of idea, layout and overall impressions..

mylovelybrick.com

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Do people actually pay money to sites like this now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

I know nothing about web sites but the font and lack of capital usage immediately puts me off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

tell me what you think of idea
    Unoriginal, done to death by copycats around a year ago.
    layout
    Cheaper than free.
    and overall impressions
    Really, why bother?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

These sites have been done to death!

If your going to do something that has been done to death, at least make it look good. OP its truly horrible looking. I don't even have any advice on what to do with it as ITS ALL BEEN DONE!

Try and come at the idea from a different angle or something!? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

:D well, i'm not so foolish as to think i'm going to sell them all..

i don't expect to become a millionaire from it.. it's a mere experiment for myself.

i know i'll get people to buy spaces, which is perhaps the most frightening thing about it all :)

• Advertisement

So you're not looking for feedback on the layout/general idea/overall impression?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

Gordon wrote:
    Do people actually pay money to sites like this now?

No way Jose. I take my hat off to the student behind the Milliondollarhomepage but all these pathetic copycat sites wreak of unoriginality...

Gordon wrote:
    So you're not looking for feedback on the layout/general idea/overall impression?

thats ALL i'm looking for :)

That's what I thought Erin.
    thats ALL i'm looking for
    Lose the brick wallpaper background, or at least make it (gah, I'm getting sucked into the viral advertising already...) less in your face, as it's really ugly.

The brown/yellow fade doesn't work imo, try a different colour combination.

I have no idea why the top is more expensive, I would have thought that the middle would be more prominent.

Put some padding between the main body and the table of ads.

Good luck!

Oh, and you may be better off with some kind of funny quirky brick character, something kinda cheesy and stupid: enough to make it mildly amusing and not too much to make it look actually cheesy (which is how your website looks right now tbh). The name of the site suggests humour so that's an angle to go for seeing as the core idea has been done to death.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

hi, best of luck with the idea, this is your biggest problem imo:
    email me the brick space you want, the url of your brick ad graphic (94 x 50, no animations please, all ads have to be static), and the url you want your graphic linked to.

Once you get approved you will recieve an email with the paypal address so you can send the payment and i can activate the brick.

If you don't know how to resize an image to a brick size, i'll do my best to help you out.

There is no automated processing at all. It shows the site as being unprofessional.

If i was to do this site i would have a registration, a user cp, a image uploader which generates thumbs, a count clicker on urls, a stats package, and i would gather revenue based on the amount of clicks a 'brick' receives.

From a search engine point of view you have no meta or description tags on any of the pages and all your page titles are the same. What keywords are users going to use to search for your site? Target those keywords.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

And I'd take out the "About Me" section because it completely lacks professionalism and credibility.

you should really give away some free bricks to make it look like someone is actually buying bricks. Maybe offer some people on here 6 bricks or whatever just to generate some interest? If i came to your site and saw no action i wouldn't spend too long on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭mada999

I'm losing faith in people and the internet... :(

fade2black wrote:
    And I'd take out the "About Me" section because it completely lacks professionalism and credibility.
    I agree.
    the name is funny, catchy and relevant. It came to me out of nowhere one night whilst in bed, i wrote it down (well actually i saved it as a text message on my phone) and registered it the next morning.
    The first thing that I thought of when I saw the name was Father Ted, and Jack's brick: "I love my brick".

So... this thread is just for you to get hits/money?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭the Guru

this site is so badly designed its almost cool in a retro "early 90's and your 3rd shot at designing a site" kind of way. I think its so bad people may even buy the bricks, Hell I may even be the first.

actually I will send me details.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

I'd be tempted to buy a brick so I could advertise how much I hate you and how much your site sucks... maybe you could capitalize on that whole hatred angle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭iFight

Id scrap the about me section. Cant imagine many people buying bricks, but if it makes you a few euro guess it's worth it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

From the buy a brick page:

"Pick a free brick space (example- 'd7')"

Now riddle me this. Which one is d7?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not stupid, I would assume its four down, seven from the left. But whats to say its not seven down four from the right?

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

I really, really loathe people who try to copy milliondollarhomepage.

• Advertisement

ok lads, thanks for the feedback. :D

jesus, i forget all about seo :rolleyes:

i'll tweak a few bits and bobs.

site was thrown together rather quickly so i'm correcting things as i go along.

hmm...perhaps it's easier for me to deliberately make the page unprofessional and make that the unique selling point :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Milliondollarhomepage suceeded because not only was it original but it was well thought out and well executed. Your site is none of the above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭democrates

Well, it's a twist on the original, but without its 'each spot for all time' scarcity value based on novelty fame.

Your model ostensibly seems to be:
    Visitors => advertisers/investors => profit.

Bar the response to this once-off request for feedback, why would those whom the anticipated sequence of advertisers wish to target visit the site?

Since there is no sign of value for ad spend it seems the model can only profit from the gullible. Am I missing something?

democrates wrote:
    Since there is no sign of value for ad spend it seems the model can only profit from the gullible. Am I missing something?

How many bricks did you buy?
    I bought 8.

Advertisement