Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

No xmas songs till Dec 1st??

• 16-11-2006 6:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I think that's standard. December 21st would be even better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Yeah. Back when I was studying broadcasting in college we were always told about the December 1st rule.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Indeed, I remember Larry Gogan/Ronan Collins saying he never play Christmas music before the 1st.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Pity someone wouldn't tell tell the Supermarkets.

They are at it full tilt since NOV 01

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Yeah. Back when I was studying broadcasting in college we were always told about the December 1st rule.

Where can we hear the fruits of your studies.???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭Milktrolley

November 1st is a little early, but it's standard nowadays and I don't really mind. Don't agree with the strict application of the December 1st rule though - if someone sent in a request for The Pogues today I wouldn't have a problem with it being played (it would be odd if DJs put it on their playlist though).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Dec 1st is tolerable, pity the same law is'nt applied to toys on tv.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

I believe that, on 2FM at least, good ole Larry gets the "honour" of playing the first Christmas record. That's a fair enough date IMHO.

(OT)...As for supermarkets, I was in Tesco's in Clare Hall, two weeks *BEFORE* Hallowe'en, and the cnuts had their Christmas displays out already. Commercial bullsh1t if you ask me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭coolcon

I hate the November christmas. Even Dec 1st is too early. And the songs are just sooo crap as well. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 forgodssake22

December 1st is alright. The xmas trees were up in Naas Town Centre in Mid October. If you hate November xmas whats your opinion on October ones??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭GO'S

I love Christmas but im never in the mood till december so like i get all you know what i mean when you see all the christmas stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

I'm afraid Ryan scuppered the whole Larry Gogan scenario - he played Merry Christmas (War is Over) by John Lennon this morning - I also heard Do They Know It's Christmas (think it was on Dopey hayes)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭J.R.HARTLEY

Pity someone wouldn't tell tell the Supermarkets.

They are at it full tilt since NOV 01
    Amen to that, you can't get your shopping in peace in november without hearing noddy holder scream "it's christmas" every 15 mins, and thanks to dunnes i couldn't give a toss what happens "When a child is born"

sure when the Next store in blanch opened on Oct 9th 2005 they had flaming christmas trees in the window. i support a full ban on xmas music til about two weeks before Christmas Day. (give enough time for office parties)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Ronan Raver77

Amen to that, you can't get your shopping in peace in november without hearing noddy holder scream "it's christmas" every 15 mins, and thanks to dunnes i couldn't give a toss what happens "When a child is born"

sure when the Next store in blanch opened on Oct 9th 2005 they had flaming christmas trees in the window. i support a full ban on xmas music til about two weeks before Christmas Day. (give enough time for office parties)

Here Here I was djing in a well known shop two weeks ago and i was asked to play xmas tunes...By the BOSS and i cringed playing two or three tunes...I wont be playing xmas songs for as long as possible.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Preset No.3

I think it could be a bit later than Dec 1st. One radio station that I worked for a few year would introduce 1 per hour from Dec 8th on and then they would be taken off the playlist by Dec 26th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

Someone on another forum said Larry Gogan played White Christmas the other day, don't know for sure as I didn't hear it but I did hear him say the other week that the first Christmas song wouldn't be played until 1st Dec.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Ronan Raver77

Looks like Dec 8th one station i know will start playing Xmas tunes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

what christmas tunes will phantom be playing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭fatgav

First Post

I played an Xmas song on my show last night (Wired FM - student radio in Limerick). I know it's November but we had a bet on to see who would play one first (and incur the wrath of the listeners) and since I interviewed Kevin Bloody Wilson I played his eponymous 'Hey Santa Claus You C*nt', which I felt was permissible under the circumstances, even though I owuld normally be very against playing any xmas music before Dec 11th

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭Milktrolley

Martin King played one on Saturday simply because he was bombarded with texts to do so. After playing 'Last Christmas', he was again bombarded with texts from angry listeners. At least that's the impression he gave.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Boycott any station that starts them before the 8th I say which still leaves them 16 days to piss me off with talentless ****s like Bing ****ing Crosby .

Even a tasteless idiot like Tubridy would not play that tuneless talentless bastard Bing Crosby for the other 350 days of the year :(

Advertisement