Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internet connection ?

Options
  • 16-11-2006 7:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭

i had posted my ? on the poker forum and was directed to this forum. not much of a tecky so would app if someone could tell me is it possible to have two broadband connections i.e say ntl which i have and digiweb and be able to switch between the two. my ntl has been sihte over the last few weeks and as i multi stts its proving quite expensive.

I have lost my connection to ntl on 4 occasions over the last three weeks costing me £120 + rake each time. I have found them excellent up to now but for some reason its sihte ATM. my intentions are to play more tables so connection loss is gonna cost me more in the future so i just figured a back up connection will pay for itself even if i only have to use it twice in a year.

Your assistance is greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

You'd have to re-log in to any site probabily.

You can't connect both at once, but you can change over in about a couple of seconds. Maybe 10 sec worst case.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

watty wrote:

Very unlikely, most sites just use cookies, etc. for login details.

I did the dual-connection thing for a while, it's nice, but not really practical.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I came across a router before that did load balancing between DSL connections. Unfortunately I don't recall it so I can only suggest googling for such like.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

CuLT wrote:
    Very unlikely, most sites just use cookies, etc. for login details.

I did the dual-connection thing for a while, it's nice, but not really practical.

I liked that if I do that on eBay it does require a log in eventually and that on paypal you always have to login in and can't accidently make Firefox remember the password.

If we are talking about money, most sites don't rely on cookies to keep you logged in. Unless they designed by idiots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭nicnicnic

watty wrote:

You can't connect both at once, but you can change over in about a couple of seconds. Maybe 10 sec worst case.

thanks for the help muck app, a 10 sec change over and having to re-log is not a problem so i guess i run with it. Maybe keep the ntl and get digiweb wireless for back up. again thanks to anyone who answered

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

and a router that senses when one is down and/or degraded and automatically switches to the backup.

the router would have 2 ethernet connections 'outside' or 'wan' to the 2 isps and 1 or more inside, maybe a Dlink DI-LB604 or similar.

Once its set up right everything else is automatic .

Advertisement