Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Technical Drawing for leaving cert.

Options
  • 16-11-2006 7:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭

Few questions about tech drawing. :D

Ok, well i'm in fifth year at the moment and basically i'm considering taking up Tech drawing, but how easy is it to take up? I haven't done the subject at Junior Cert level so i'm not exactly sure. Does it involve a lot of maths? (I know it inovles gemoetry but that's all i know :| ). Anything else that i show know? :s

So yeah, if anyone could help me out that would be great :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭Fool 5000

Alrite lad,
    I think people who dont do TG for the JC may have problems starting off like the basics like understanding what you are drawing from the plan ,elevation and end view. Although TG doesnt contain any Maths but they are similar because the use of methods or steps in both .I think its a great subject because its not like another boring book-based subject like geography .I would recommend you to do it ,although you would need to do a bit of work in 5th yr to catch up to the other lads.If you do the work its pretty easy!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

Technical Graphics is my favourite subject by far. Like Fool 5000 said, its a great break from other subjects - no rote learning, taking notes etc.
    I didn't do TG for the junior either, and tbh I didn't have any major problems.
    And I don't know about what you all others think but, its actually quite easy compared to all the other subjects on the LC (ofc it depends which q's your going to do)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭whassupp2

I did the leaving in 2006.
    Tech. D. was also my favourite subject as it had problem solving, no maths, no notes, no expensive books, no learning (as such).

I got an A2.
    I had done it for junior cert but its completely diiferent for the leaving apart from the obvious basics of setting up sheet, knowing your elevations etc.

I say go for it.
    Out of my class of bout 12, everyone did higher and most people got A's and B's. Nobody failed and everyone did higher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭eamoss

I also did my leaving cert in 2006.

And TD & Con.St where my two favorite subjects. Like whassupp2 said I loved the way TD was different from other subjects.

I only took up TD at xmas in 5th year but I did to TG for the junior cert. You will be at a loss by not doing TG but that is only the basics and you will be able to catch up after a few weeks.

I also know a few lads who didnt do TG for the junior cert but they are only doing there LC this year so time will tell how they will get on in it! One of them didnt know what a T-Square was after him doing a year of TD :rolleyes:

After 5 months since doing the LC I have to say I actually miss doing TD :eek: Im just hoping that when I do computer architecture next semester it will be some what of the same!

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭slickmcvic

I teach Tech Graphics and I wouldnt recommend takin it up for the leavin without prior experience.....you'll find even the simplist things hard to get the hang of...bisecting lines finding tangents,points of contact,the constructions of the parabola ellipses etc...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

slickmcvic wrote:
    I teach Tech Graphics and I wouldnt recommend takin it up for the leavin without prior experience.....you'll find even the simplist things hard to get the hang of...bisecting lines finding tangents,points of contact,the constructions of the parabola ellipses etc...

Absolutely not true.
    Myself and 3 other people in my class did not do TG for the JC and we have absolutely no problem, we are all at the same level as the rest of the class (the people who did do TG for the LC).

Advertisement