Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brendan O'Brien canned by Newstalk?

• 16-11-2006 8:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

Whats the story? Last week he was on this week he is'nt and I have'nt heard the current presenter suggest he is 'standing in'. Indeed he has his own jingle.

Has O'Brien moved on? Not too bothered if thats the case as he was'nt much cop as a presenter in my view. Should stick to reporting and research.

Mike.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Brendan O'Brien was never "staff" as such with Newstalk. They haven't filled that role since Damien Kiberd left, and hence, you never heard a jingle for O'Brien.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

DMC wrote:
    Brendan O'Brien was never "staff" as such with Newstalk. They haven't filled that role since Damien Kiberd left, and hence, you never heard a jingle for O'Brien.

Any word on what happened to Kiberd? Did he leave or is there something wrong?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

flogen wrote:
    Any word on what happened to Kiberd? Did he leave or is there something wrong?
    Still seriously ill i think. He doesnt do any work in media now afaik. O'Brien is'nt good as a live radio presenter, I've heard him on pre recorded programmes and he's much better, his personality is'nt suitable for such a show, the new guy sound alright from the very little i have heard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭Genghis

The new guy is Eamonn Keane, brother of BBC's Fergal Keane and Nephew of JB Keane.

He was a bit reporter and sometime stand-in on RTE news shows, but figured he would be a long time waiting for his own show on RTE. It is a bit of step-up for him.

Not sure why he took quite so long to join up (he was announced at launch), perhaps contractual or other reasons?

Agree with comments on Brendan O'Brien - not great as a live anchor.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 mikesee

i disagree strongly with the comments about brendan o brian. in my view he was fair and balanced but could not be easily fobbed off with excuses. the only things i liked about newstalk since us culchies started getting it was his show and the sports show. moncrieff gets old very fast and george hook souns very tired.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

He's a regular on Morning Ireland, I heard him this morning doing his usual "It Says In The Papers" (remember PP o Reilly!) and he sounded in top form. Maybe his running between RTE and Newstalk everyday wore him out, burnin candles at both ends and all that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

During the second half of August and for a few weeks from the end of September to mid-October, I heard quite a lot of Brendan O'Brien on Newstalk. I must say I thought he was always on the ball and made the stories interesting. As far as I was concerned, he would have fitted in quite nicely in that spot for the long-term.

His style was a bit less robust than Damien Kiberd's, but Brendan could hold his own, and, indeed, he was not averse to a bit of humour - probably a tad more gentle than Damo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

Brendan O Brien was always strong in that slot. Its the two muppets before him that have that station totally off balance.

Advertisement