Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't get internet in Cork...

Options
  • 16-11-2006 8:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭

Hey i just moved house in Cork. Living in Doughcloyne area.
    We had Chorus Tv and Broadband in the last house. so when we movd here we tried to move the chorus. When thye came out they said the wire they needed was buried under the new wooden flooors out down (big job to undo and we're just tennants)
    Next we rang Irish broadband and after 3 weeks of waiting they told us there was no reception fo it.. 3 weeks later Digiweb came and told us they could do it if they put a 3 metre pole on the roof.. we told em go ahead, and when they did they said the reception was still to ****ty...

So since we're tennants and dont have a house phone Eircom was our last resort. (due to line rental) when we rang them up they said there has never been a fone line in the house and to set it up would be 130 e's so we did.. they came after 3 weeks and did it... Then when we rang for broadband they said there "base whatever" doesnt support DSL and we dont have internet even though they told me it was 99.9% doable.. what a sickner... ! I'm on dial-up now..

Is there any other solutions?? BT and smart rent eircoms lines so i dont think that would work.. is there any other fibre optic service in cork???

Help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

Smart do rent Eircom's lines but not in the same way as BT/UTV/etc. BT/UTV/etc resell Eircom's Bitstream service whereas Smart provide broadband by Local Loop Unbundling and use ADSL2+ which has a much greater reach and speed capability.

There have been people known to have failed Eircom's line test but can get Smart.

The only downsides are that they may have unbundled your exchnage yet and it can take a quite a long time to get it installed - usually down to Eircom causing the delays.

But it is the best broadband service you can get currently - 6Mbit (til 1st Jan 07) for €35 per month which also includes line rental.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

Flynn wrote:
    Hey i just moved house in Cork. Living in Doughcloyne area.
    We had Chorus Tv and Broadband in the last house. so when we movd here we tried to move the chorus. When thye came out they said the wire they needed was buried under the new wooden flooors out down (big job to undo and we're just tennants)
    Next we rang Irish broadband and after 3 weeks of waiting they told us there was no reception fo it.. 3 weeks later Digiweb came and told us they could do it if they put a 3 metre pole on the roof.. we told em go ahead, and when they did they said the reception was still to ****ty...

So since we're tennants and dont have a house phone Eircom was our last resort. (due to line rental) when we rang them up they said there has never been a fone line in the house and to set it up would be 130 e's so we did.. they came after 3 weeks and did it... Then when we rang for broadband they said there "base whatever" doesnt support DSL and we dont have internet even though they told me it was 99.9% doable.. what a sickner... ! I'm on dial-up now..

Is there any other solutions?? BT and smart rent eircoms lines so i dont think that would work.. is there any other fibre optic service in cork???

Help!

When you rang irish broadband did they just tell you you couldnt get it or did they actually come to the house and do a signal test?? when i ordered that the peron on the phone didnt have a clue and told me i could get even though i could see the mast perfectly.... i ordered it and they came out got like 90% signal and now im a happy customer..... Where are you based?? is that doughcloyne in togher??? if so can you see the mast on spur hill??? thats the closest ibb mast to you and thats where i get broadband from.. I live about a mile out from that towards the west.... if you can see that mast any bit there is always a chance you can get it... The only way they know for sure is if they do a signal test..

Try it anyway, if you havent already, go ahead and order it and see how it goes,

ab

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

Nova Networks have coverage in most of Doughcloyne area. Worth a try - especially if you still have the 3m poll on your roof.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

thats half the job done for them so , how nice of Digiweb :D . There may also be amocom coverage but JEEZ they cost and may not discount for the pole already being there.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Flynn

ab_cork wrote:
    When you rang irish broadband did they just tell you you couldnt get it or did they actually come to the house and do a signal test?? when i ordered that the peron on the phone didnt have a clue and told me i could get even though i could see the mast perfectly.... i ordered it and they came out got like 90% signal and now im a happy customer..... Where are you based?? is that doughcloyne in togher??? if so can you see the mast on spur hill??? thats the closest ibb mast to you and thats where i get broadband from.. I live about a mile out from that towards the west.... if you can see that mast any bit there is always a chance you can get it... The only way they know for sure is if they do a signal test..

Try it anyway, if you havent already, go ahead and order it and see how it goes,

ab

Yeah they came out and did a signal test.. Dougcloyne in Togher ya... I think there's trees blocking us all around... Irish Broadband said no signal and Digiweb said with a 3m pole they got a signal but it would be very bad internet and would only come on every other 5 minutes.. It's a dose cuz we are so close to city centre...

• Advertisement

Sponge Bob wrote:
    thats half the job done for them so , how nice of Digiweb :D . There may also be amocom coverage but JEEZ they cost and may not discount for the pole already being there.

No, Digiweb took the pole with them!
    Maybe Smart is worth a try?

Smart do rent Eircom's lines but not in the same way as BT/UTV/etc. BT/UTV/etc resell Eircom's Bitstream service whereas Smart provide broadband by Local Loop Unbundling and use ADSL2+ which has a much greater reach and speed capability.

There have been people known to have failed Eircom's line test but can get Smart.

The only downsides are that they may have unbundled your exchnage yet and it can take a quite a long time to get it installed - usually down to Eircom causing the delays.

But it is the best broadband service you can get currently - 6Mbit (til 1st Jan 07) for €35 per month which also includes line rental.

Thanks, will look into this so... as i dont think it makes sense paying line rental for dial-up when not using a home phone..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭dathiultaigh

AFAIK IBB and Clearwire (and maybe Digiweb) should have Wimax services that are not dependent on line of sight an example is the Ripwave product from IBB. Though I would advise to check out the various packages to see if they suit your needs.

Advertisement