Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Sat-Nav and the Irish countryside ...

Options
  • 16-11-2006 8:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭

....has anyone got any experience how good the available software actually is, when it comes to all the byroads and boreens?

Thinking about making myself a little Christmas present and getting a cheapo Sat-Nav (handheld thingymajig) for the Camper.

My excursions in the camper usually lead me to some area where I've never been before, trying to find a place to park up for the night in a quiet scenic spot. So a look at the map usually reveals possible supects like piers, beaches, picnic areas etc.

Getting there through the maze of boreens is a different story though and I'm getting kinda sick of having to consult the map at every crossrads to find THE road I'm looking for.

How good is the map material that's out there? Does it really include any and all roads or just the main routes (I can find those myself !)

Any recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

Navteq recently announced they have Ireland 100% mapped...I just ordered this today which uses those maps and is only €267 delivered!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Looks good !

be sure to let me know how you get on ...in the middle of the night ...in the pissing rain ...at the crossroads with no signpost ...5 miles outside Ballygobackwards :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

Isn't there some site online where you can use the Navteq software?

I used it before and it had the correct name of the townland where I live and all the local roads were correct. That was no mean feat, I can assure you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭Larry David

fletch wrote:
    Navteq recently announced they have Ireland 100% mapped...I just ordered this today which uses those maps and is only €267 delivered!
    Bullsh*t. I use them, and Chapel Farm in Lusk isn't on it, and Westbrook in Balbriggan isn't on it (which has been there for over 5 years, FFS!!!). And these aren't even serious bogger places!

Bullsh*t. I use them, and Chapel Farm in Lusk isn't on it, and Westbrook in Balbriggan isn't on it (which has been there for over 5 years, FFS!!!). And these aren't even serious bogger places!
    You use "them"? Do you mean this exact device I've ordered or do you mean you use a device which uses Navteq maps? Lots of articles about 100% coverage of Ireland here, here and here. Are you sure you are using a device with Q2 2006 Navteq data?

Edit: Just checked in AutoRoute 2007 and it has Chapel Farm...and so do does MapQuest.
    untitledju4.th.jpguntitledtm4.th.jpg

• Advertisement

maidhc wrote:
    Isn't there some site online where you can use the Navteq software?

I used it before and it had the correct name of the townland where I live and all the local roads were correct. That was no mean feat, I can assure you.
    Are you referring to http://www.mapquest.co.uk ?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

just tried the mapquest thingy for my area ...other than the fact that it always firmly plants me in mid-atlantic when I want to zoom in, the road network seems to be as detailed as the 1:50.000 discovery series maps and correct.

Good! ...that would do me ...

Anybody any experience with the Garmin nuvi 300 ?
    link

looks to be just the ticket for my limited needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭dak

I have the Nuvi - used it for driving in London ! was brilliant. In Ireland it is fine only as far down as "R" roads . It doesn't show any detail if road is of poorer quality. I use it for finding lakes etc for fishing but it doesn't name them. I think its size is excellent also.! Best one I could find at the price €400.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

The Navteq unit look to be great value. How often do they update the maps? Is there any facility to add data to the system yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Quadruple bullsh*t with extra toppings!

They're both on my Destinator 2006 with the latest Navteq maps. If you one of "them" with either the older Navteq maps or Teleatlas maps (i.e. TomTom) then maybe they aren't, but get your facts straight before posting this kind of nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Peasant wrote:
    Anybody any experience with the Garmin nuvi 300 ?

Got one a few months ago, and it's not a bad little unit. Looking forward to the updates maps in the new year. It's coverage is alright, though a recent trip to Sligo rendered it pretty useless. Actually, it didn't even have the motorway across properly mapped; it thought I was driving in a field beside the road for good chunks of the journey.

Searching the database can be a little funny; it's predominantly for the British market where post codes are actually useful.

It's accuracy of where you are can be out by a good few feet. Not a huge deal, but it can make a difference coming up to junctions close together, as it can be a little harder to tell which turn you should be taking.

On the up side (not too sure if these features are standard or not for a GPS):

It has loads of Points of Interest - e.g. hotels, garages, camping sites etc. It will display a list of them, starting with the closest one to you. You can add your own points, which appear as a little flag on the map.

It has a detour button, so you can get an alternate route if you don't want to go the way it is suggesting.

It does have an MP3 player, but it's quality is crap - even if you plug a cassette adapter from it into a tape deck in your car. Just not worth your while using.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

If you are buyinh a Garmin, make sure it has v9 maps.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Does anyone know if it is possible to update my Garmin i3 with the latest maps now that navteq have 100% coverage ?

Does this mean I wont be pointed down one way streets anymore(wrong way) !

Thanks
    Rob

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭eirlink

Both Chapel Farm and Westbrook are mapped by Navteq. This mapping is available on version Q2 2006, which is the map data supplied by retailers such as mysatnav and pixmania on some of their products.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭andyeire

Excuse the stupid question do you need a subscription to use Airis unit ? and can you update the maps in the future?

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭eirlink

andyeire wrote:
    Excuse the stupid question do you need a subscription to use Airis unit ? and can you update the maps in the future?

No sub needed...fee to use

Map updates can be purchased when available...contact your retailer or Navteq for details.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Car Mad

fletch wrote:

i must get me one of them thanks for the tip.A few questions how often do they update?do they charge for updates?im not farmiliar with how they work do you just download software or what.im still in the dark ages:o

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭andyeire

mis read post

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sundodger5

take a look at www.66.com just bought route 66 mobile 7 for nokia and a gps receiver on e bay (about 60 euro) i live in mayo and it has roads mapped you would only bring a tractor up. never ask for shortest route ;)

Advertisement